Search found 37 matches
- Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:10 pm
- Forum: The Water Cooler
- Topic: Hello
- Replies: 28
- Views: 2411
Re: Hello
Thanks for the advice, I've spent a reasonable amount of time with the atlas in front of me, and yep, Vancouver Island is a rather large chunk of land... What's industry like over there? Any chance getting a job in a bank (predominantly treasury) or as an electrical engineer? From what I understand,...
- Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:57 am
- Forum: The Water Cooler
- Topic: Hello
- Replies: 28
- Views: 2411
Re: Hello
Wow, yet another field to check out! Seek and ye shall find (or in my case, post on AvCanada and help pours out of the rocks!)
Thankyou
Thankyou
- Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:06 pm
- Forum: The Water Cooler
- Topic: Hello
- Replies: 28
- Views: 2411
Re: Hello
If you want to work your trade as a Electrical Engineer have a look at the Edmonton Journal Something about 23 $$ Billion being spent on construction of oil upgraders over the next few years. You might find a job there and not have to live in Toronto. The West is Best. I'll definitely have a look -...
- Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:00 am
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Owner maintenance on a Non-type certified aircraft
- Replies: 16
- Views: 1564
Re: Owner maintenance on a Non-type certified aircraft
Let me qualify my statement: Running an engine past 10,000hrs without doing boroscope, blow-bys and the like is irresponsible ;) I don't know... I'm sure the liability insurance that covers Lycoming comes in to it... Hypothetical: They run an engine and it fails after 40,000hrs. They run another one...
- Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:24 am
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Owner maintenance on a Non-type certified aircraft
- Replies: 16
- Views: 1564
Re: Owner maintenance on a Non-type certified aircraft
Running it past 10,000 hours would be irresponsible. Not doing boroscopes would be irresponsible. Not doing blow-by's would be irresponsible. But you really think that an engine that has only run 500 hours in 12 years (without long periods of inactivity) needs to be completely overhauled, if all the...
- Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:30 am
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Owner maintenance on a Non-type certified aircraft
- Replies: 16
- Views: 1564
- Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:47 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Owner maintenance on a Non-type certified aircraft
- Replies: 16
- Views: 1564
Re: Owner maintenance on a Non-type certified aircraft
Thankyou... Hedley, are you an aviation lawyer or something? You know these laws backwards!
What's a fuel-flow report? Just a table of fuel flows under different power settings?
Seems fairly straight forward. Just forms and fees...
What's a fuel-flow report? Just a table of fuel flows under different power settings?
Seems fairly straight forward. Just forms and fees...
- Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:34 pm
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Owner maintenance on a Non-type certified aircraft
- Replies: 16
- Views: 1564
Re: Owner maintenance on a Non-type certified aircraft
Definitely sounds like homebuilt is the way! Seeing as 3 of us did the work, yet I'm the only one who's currently looking after it, does it still fall into the 51% category? (Seeing as I could only have built a maximum of 33% personally!) It was definitely not 49% factory built, so I guess so... It'...
- Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:43 am
- Forum: The Water Cooler
- Topic: Hello
- Replies: 28
- Views: 2411
Re: Hello
I already read through that... Just wondering what it was actually like from a passenger's perspectiveDriving Rain wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GO_Transit
It could be better but I use it when I go there.
Thanks!
- Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:45 am
- Forum: The Water Cooler
- Topic: Hello
- Replies: 28
- Views: 2411
Re: Hello
Wow, thanks for the long and detailed reply! That's very helpful :D Another question: what is the public transport like around the cities? In SA, it's pretty much non-existent, or unusable, so almost everyone commutes by car. If I were to stay in say Guelph, would it be feasible to commute to Toront...
- Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:32 am
- Forum: Maintenance
- Topic: Owner maintenance on a Non-type certified aircraft
- Replies: 16
- Views: 1564
Owner maintenance on a Non-type certified aircraft
Hi I would like to find out about doing maintenance work on my own aircraft, once it is registered in Canada. The aircraft started off as a wreck after being flown into a tree after a stall just after take-off. There was virtually nothing left but a bent fuselage and very badly damaged wings. The wh...
- Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:06 am
- Forum: The Water Cooler
- Topic: Hello
- Replies: 28
- Views: 2411
Re: Hello
Ok, so after a bit more noodling around and sniffing the air, Toronto is also a possibility... Looking at the thermo maps I have, it seems as though it's a good 10degC colder on average than Vancouver. What's it like to live there? Cheaper, more expensive? Predominant language? Small city or sprawli...
- Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:54 am
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Air Canada Incident
- Replies: 102
- Views: 13560
Re: Air Canada Incident
A nice simple explanation about all the laws and their effects:cpl_atc wrote:For those of us uninitiated in Airbus-speak/Big-plane speak; "Direct Law" -- is that some kind of fail-safe mode, or pilot override of the usual systems?
http://www.airbusdriver.net/airbus_fltlaws.htm
- Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:04 am
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: avcanada book club?
- Replies: 104
- Views: 13474
Re: avcanada book club?
"Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewische It's quite technical, but a real "back to basics" book. Not knowing you, I'm not sure what your flying experience is, but I'd recommend this for any student pilot and fresh PPL. Also good for anyone who wants to learn how to fly better, and helps understand...
- Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:28 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Canadian PPL
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1255
Re: Canadian PPL
Thans for the offer 
I'm still at least a year away from getting to Canada, but when the time comes, I'll definitely take you up on that!
I'm still at least a year away from getting to Canada, but when the time comes, I'll definitely take you up on that!
- Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:48 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Canadian PPL
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1255
Re: Canadian PPL
The Commission Against Aviation comes to mind, but that's probably just me being unreasonable 
- Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:28 am
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Canadian PPL
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1255
Re: Canadian PPL
Thanks for the test! Going through it, I think I'm getting about 50% (about half-way)... There's plenty of Canada-specific stuff there which I'm going to have to learn (eg. What is the minimum height you can fly over a herd of Caribou?)... As for TC, at least you guys have alternate regions that you...
- Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:19 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Canadian PPL
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1255
Re: Canadian PPL
I'm amazed that the different regions have such different rules! Certainly something to bear in mind...
Thanks guys... I also like the idea of doing the training here, as it's also probably a little cheaper
Thanks guys... I also like the idea of doing the training here, as it's also probably a little cheaper
- Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:15 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Canadian PPL
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1255
Re: Canadian PPL
The terminology of "contracting State" is a bit different to what it's known as here, so I though it was referring to a political agreement of some sort between two countries, rather than relating to ICAO. I would know it as an "ICAO member country". However, at the end of last year ICAO did an audi...
- Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:54 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Canadian PPL
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1255
Re: Canadian PPL
I'm guess South Africa isn't a contracting state, which would mean that I would need to re-do the 45 hours of instruction...? If so, that's a whole bunch of cash... If it's just the exams and ground school, then it's a very real possibility! I'll have a careful look at that option though, there is d...
- Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:31 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Canadian PPL
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1255
Re: Canadian PPL
As per http://www.rfc.ca/NewSite/PPLinfo.htm , you are correct. Ok, I'm assuming then for my PPL to be converted, I'd need to do that at least...MrWings wrote:Last time I checked, the PPL had 5 hours instrument training.
- Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:18 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Canadian Airspace
- Replies: 9
- Views: 800
Re: Canadian Airspace
I've had a couple of failures... One was software bug where pushing Goto then Enter caused the GPS to reboot, and the other is pretty much anytime I'm within 500m of a power-line (final approach to Baragwaneth!) it goes haywire. I'm prepared for it going blank on me whenever I fly, and thankfully it...
- Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:06 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Canadian PPL
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1255
Re: Canadian PPL
It does sound very similar then... Yep helps a lot 
Thanks
Thanks
- Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:57 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Canadian Airspace
- Replies: 9
- Views: 800
Re: Canadian Airspace
Wow, that was unexpected! Forgive me, we're a bit behind the times here... There isn't a single GPS approach defined. There are no DGPS or other accuracy enhancements available for aviation. GPS does not even get mentioned in our syllabus. Well, as of the 1st Jan 2008 it may be mentioned as the whol...
- Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:44 pm
- Forum: General Comments
- Topic: Canadian PPL
- Replies: 19
- Views: 1255
Canadian PPL
Hi all Once again, a question regarding the differences between the SA way of flying and yours! The PPL here consists of a few cross-countries, 15 hours solo, demonstrating forced/precautionary landings, stalls, spin recovery (as I was in a Citabria I got to do full spins, instead of the incipient) ...