Search found 16 matches

by floatrfun
Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:51 pm
Forum: Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft
Topic: Flight school float plane dip.
Replies: 9
Views: 3982

Re: Flight school float plane dip.

For the sake of clarification, I thought I would come on here to provide some facts. It was a 7-hour rating student, he had been doing very well and was sent for his solo. He was given a reference area that had been identified by the instructor as the best option but he chose to go to different loca...
by floatrfun
Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:07 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: Family Question
Replies: 14
Views: 3729

Re: Family Question

I can't say I have any regrets but it's not an easy road. Lots of good comments and advice here. My girlfriend/now wife was very supportive. Fortunately, she had her own career and a busy life and later confessed she liked the time away from me. She didn't have the type of career that was conducive ...
by floatrfun
Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:21 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: Bushland Airways Ltd.
Replies: 24
Views: 8050

Re: Bushland Airways Ltd.

One of our student pilots, who did her CPL with us at the end of last season, got a job with them this season flying the 206 on floats and loves it. She says they are a fantastic operation, great owners, and she even has her own little cabin.
by floatrfun
Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:27 am
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: Air-Hart for float training
Replies: 31
Views: 7227

Re: Air-Hart for float training

Northshore I can assure you that neither I or our employees are "Free Skies" and made that post. I haven't even been on here for a while as way too busy. Just saw this post now. We have a number of students that peruse the AvCanada often and although I can see why such a glowing post could be suspic...
by floatrfun
Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:13 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: 2011 Float Season
Replies: 41
Views: 8479

Re: 2011 Float Season

A lot of the jobs won't be posted but there is definitely more movement. What's your total time and float time?
by floatrfun
Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:14 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: Chief Pilot Exam/Interview
Replies: 15
Views: 6576

Re: Chief Pilot Exam/Interview

Know your ops manual well and follow the guidelines in CARS for the chief pilot study and reference guide. It's an easy test. Having done the Cheif Pilot, Operations Manager and Maintenance Manager, The Chief Pilot and Ops Manager are very similar and easy. Its the Maintenance Manager that is the to...
by floatrfun
Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:04 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: IFR Rating
Replies: 7
Views: 1940

Re: IFR Rating

Save your money on the IFR if it's really float flying you want to do. If you are going to be working as a bush pilot you'll have plenty of time to get it when you are laid off in the event you think you are going to need it.
by floatrfun
Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:26 am
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: Starting a Float Operation?
Replies: 11
Views: 3337

Re: Starting a Float Operation?

a lot of good points in this post. providing you have the cash or can get the cash, the biggest issues is keeping up on all the TC paperwork. trust me it is a lot of headaches for very little money. If i had realized all the headaches in the first place, i probably wouldnt be here!! Keep in mind tha...
by floatrfun
Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:50 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: 2010 season.. hows it looking?
Replies: 53
Views: 9096

Re: 2010 season.. hows it looking?

Floatrfun I am interested in the wording of your insurance policy with regard to the fifty hour requirement, is the requirement for coverage for hull loss? Also when sending students solo for the five solo take offs and landings and any solo for the fifty hour course? The reason I ask is I worked d...
by floatrfun
Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:43 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: 2010 season.. hows it looking?
Replies: 53
Views: 9096

Re: 2010 season.. hows it looking?

Good to see you joined the posters here floatrfun because this forum needs more posters who have the background and knowledge to give credible advice to the younguns looking for a start in aviation. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife last summer when we were driving back from Sask. We plan...
by floatrfun
Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:05 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: 2010 season.. hows it looking?
Replies: 53
Views: 9096

Re: 2010 season.. hows it looking?

Lets look at this a little closer. One pilot works on a dock loading airplanes. Another pilot flys in a single Otter as a swamper and gets to know the country and observe an experienced bush pilot fly and make decisions. At the end of the season which pilot knows more about bush flying? The Otter j...
by floatrfun
Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:32 pm
Forum: Flight Training
Topic: new student
Replies: 18
Views: 2850

Re: new student

When I started training many years ago I lost my cookies for my first three flights and almost walked away. I am glad I didn't. You'll get passed it. There's some good tips on here. I still get students that get sick every so often and I know it can be discouraging but hang in there.
by floatrfun
Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:28 pm
Forum: Flight Training
Topic: Aviation College Programs
Replies: 17
Views: 2208

Re: Aviation College Programs

Having a post secondary education is never a bad idea but I would suggest doing in a different field so you have a back up plan. I took the Aviation diploma program at NAIT in Edmonton many moons ago before they shut down. It never helped me one bit in the industry and in fact, some of the employers...
by floatrfun
Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:02 pm
Forum: Flight Training
Topic: What books to get to prep for CPL
Replies: 14
Views: 5418

Re: What books to get to prep for CPL

As a student many year's ago I got Commercial Pilot Ground School Course book by Michael . and I have never found anything better for preparing you for the flight test. Now that I own a flight training business, i recommend it to all my students.
by floatrfun
Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:56 pm
Forum: Flight Training
Topic: Online ground school
Replies: 5
Views: 661

Re: Online ground school

We don't offer a ground School and all our students that do their training on the floatplane do the online ground school through pilottraining.ca. We haven't had anyone fail but we do try and supplement that training with some one-on-one. You need to have some self motivation. In my opinion, it's a ...
by floatrfun
Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:14 pm
Forum: Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service
Topic: 2010 season.. hows it looking?
Replies: 53
Views: 9096

Re: 2010 season.. hows it looking?

I agree it's looking better this season. One of our students who did a good chunk of his licensing on floats, just called to say he just landed a job in a right seat of a single Otter back home in Ontario in Red lake and starts in April. He had just over 200 TT so that's a real good sign. It's a goo...

Go to advanced search