Aerial work: Airborne Survey

If you are a seasoned professional in a certain aviation field and would like to give advice in your area of expertise place a topic in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

brokenwing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Aerial work: Airborne Survey

Post by brokenwing »

Thanks again!, the insight is much appreciated. Looks like i'll have to wait a bit and start saving my pennies for a group 1.
---------- ADS -----------

"I had a pilot's breakfast ... A coffee and a piss followed by a donut and a dump." -D. Elegant
TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Some questions answered about Sanders in this topic.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=55914

Sam300
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sam300 »

TG wrote:I like the idea of burning fuel (flying) looking for fuel!
They will not stop doing it anytime soon if you know what I mean.
But that's only one side of the job.

Some used it as a step stone, some as a career, I will be happy to help anyone gearing himself or herself into Airborne Survey.

There is some great people in this board who did it or are still doing it and I welcome them too...
To help me!
So I won't always be struggling with the answers :wink:
Looking to get into some survey work, sounds like it would be something I would enjoy. I have applied to several companies but nothing yet, wondering if the survey world is slow like everything else.

I have a decent amount of hours as well as MIFR, turbine and low level experience. Any info or advice you could pass along would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Hey Sam
In general, survey is fairly slow right now. I don't know of any that are hiring (pilots are sticking around longer because of the lack of movement elsewhere) and regardless of the economy, winter is always a slower time of year for us.
If I were you, I'd send a fresh round of resumes out in late February/March, as many companies typically do their hiring in springtime. If you can do it in person (call ahead!), even better.

Do you have an ATPL/IATRA? How's your PIC time?

Sam300
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sam300 »

chipmunk wrote:Hey Sam
In general, survey is fairly slow right now. I don't know of any that are hiring (pilots are sticking around longer because of the lack of movement elsewhere) and regardless of the economy, winter is always a slower time of year for us.
If I were you, I'd send a fresh round of resumes out in late February/March, as many companies typically do their hiring in springtime. If you can do it in person (call ahead!), even better.

Do you have an ATPL/IATRA? How's your PIC time?
Writing the exams soon(hopefully)approx.4800 pic.(looking for something new) Maybe I'll take a road trip and see some operators just to intoduce myself, schedule is open now. If it is slow might be a good chance to meet some people, and chat with them about survey work. Can you point out some good operators to go see? Thanks in advance

P.S. Have a good Thanksgiving weekend!

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Sam300 wrote: Writing the exams soon(hopefully)approx.4800 pic.(looking for something new) Maybe I'll take a road trip and see some operators just to intoduce myself, schedule is open now. If it is slow might be a good chance to meet some people, and chat with them about survey work. Can you point out some good operators to go see? Thanks in advance
P.S. Have a good Thanksgiving weekend!
Wow, well you'd definitely be competitive once things start moving a bit!
Good operators that I would suggest going to see are Aries Aviation in AB and Sander Geophysics & Fugro Airborne Surveys in Ottawa (definitely call ahead for Fugro, the CP/DFO is a pretty busy guy.)

Others may have some more suggestions, but those are some of the better ones that's for sure.
Good luck!

Sam300
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sam300 »

Thanks for the info, I have applied to them but I think I'll try and meet with them and see if something is coming up soon.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Another topic about Sanders:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=63890

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

Keep in mind there is a ton of different survey work and not all of it is low level. There is LIDAR and thermal imaging as well plus others. Most of our LIDAR work takes place 1000m agl and above depending on point density and spec for the job. Geomag isn't the only survey work to be had.

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

True, some are even done at FL350 +
But that is another ball game.

Return to “I have a great deal of aviation experience in:”