Sky Service Business Aviation

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Sky Service Business Aviation

Post by PitchLink »

canyonclay wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:05 am SSBA had a King Air 350 FO ad initially on 23 Sep, and they updated the job ad to 18 Oct. Why do you guys think they did that? Is it because they don't have qualified applicants since the 23rd of Sep and had to "refresh" their job ad?

https://skyservice.com/careers/
https://skyservice.com/job/?requisitionId=20161168

Above is the direct link to the job I think you’re describing.
---------- ADS -----------

canyonclay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canyonclay »

PitchLink wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:16 am
canyonclay wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:05 am SSBA had a King Air 350 FO ad initially on 23 Sep, and they updated the job ad to 18 Oct. Why do you guys think they did that? Is it because they don't have qualified applicants since the 23rd of Sep and had to "refresh" their job ad?

Yeah that one. The initial job posting date was 23 Sep, but it is now 18 Oct. So I was just wondering if they just didn't have anyone applying, or they're still looking for the right candidate, hence they "refreshed" the job posting date.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

canyonclay wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:20 am
PitchLink wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:16 am

Yeah that one. The initial job posting date was 23 Sep, but it is now 18 Oct. So I was just wondering if they just didn't have anyone applying, or they're still looking for the right candidate, hence they "refreshed" the job posting date.
It could be several determining factors including the pool of applicants or lack thereof. I’d have to see the wage associated with it, FO on a 350 won’t be very high but I’m sure it will be par for the position.

canyonclay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by canyonclay »

I read somewhere that corporate flying would be around 300 hours a year? Is this true? However, SSBA isn't fractional ownership like AirSprint and each airplane has an owner, so I guess that would make sense?

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Yep, about that...possibly less

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

I once had a 65hr year...I miss those days :(

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

JHR wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:22 am I once had a 65hr year...I miss those days :(
:shock: Were you on salary?

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by JHR »

But of course

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

JHR wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:22 am I once had a 65hr year...I miss those days :(
That’s rough lol

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:37 am
whatsitdoingnow wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:54 am I have some friends at Sky who seem to be paid a reasonable amount and others seem a little low. It really boils down to what you negotiate with the company/owner.
I think it's the same all around, Chartright, Innotech etc. Most companies will usually offer bottom 25% of average pay during the interview stage. You need to know your value, and going rates for those seats before you walk into a final interview. Don't get blinded by the shiny metal light, because that blinding will usually cost you 2 years of your life on a bond.

Don't forget to negotiate salary increases - if you leave it up to the operators, they will AT BEST give you 2-3% (if you're lucky). Most will save re-negotiations until the 2yr bond mark because they know the financial penalties are so significant, you aren't going anywhere.

And no - skipping out of bonds isn't a thing. They will almost always take you to court - there is no defense against a signed pro-rated contract.

I know a guy that signed a training bond at one of those companies. A couple months after his endorsement was done and paid for, he realized he took on something that wasn’t as advertised. He repaid the remainder of the training bond and gave his 2 weeks notice. The president directed hr to fire him.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:23 am
whatsitdoingnow wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:54 am I have some friends at Sky who seem to be paid a reasonable amount and others seem a little low. It really boils down to what you negotiate with the company/owner.
I think it's the same all around, Chartright, Innotech etc. Most companies will usually offer bottom 25% of average pay during the interview stage. You need to know your value, and going rates for those seats before you walk into a final interview. Don't get blinded by the shiny metal light, because that blinding will usually cost you 2 years of your life on a bond.

Don't forget to negotiate salary increases - if you leave it up to the operators, they will AT BEST give you 2-3% (if you're lucky). Most will save re-negotiations until the 2yr bond mark because they know the financial penalties are so significant, you aren't going anywhere.

And no - skipping out of bonds isn't a thing. They will almost always take you to court - there is no defense against a signed pro-rated contract.

I know a guy that signed a training bond at one of those companies. A couple months after his endorsement was done and paid for, he realized he took on something that wasn’t as advertised. He repaid the remainder of the training bond and gave his 2 weeks notice. The president directed hr to fire him.
Wow. That sounds both expensive and excessive.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:38 pm
Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:23 am

Wow. That sounds both expensive and excessive.

He wanted out bad enough I guess, and to clarify he was an AME that took the type training. It’s a different scenario work wise but still the same 40k training bond that the company can leverage on most guys that don’t have the resources or wherewithal to fight back. I felt really bad for him

CJ3PILOT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CJ3PILOT »

redbusdriver wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:27 pm
CorpPilot wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:11 am SSBA is a great place to work. Ive done two tours of duty there over the years and they have always been great. Organized and crews are very well supported from senior management to flight ops.

The interview with the current CP (Mark) who is a great guy and certainly a "pilots chief pilot" is HR based with no tech questions that ive seen. The interviews ive done were for large corp bizjets and id say that maybe as a lower time F/O interviewing, you might see a few tech questions.

Bonds seem to be 1-2 years based on owner/lead captain direction. Pay is very dependant on owner/aircraft size and is generally industry standard+.

Good luck!

CP
few yrs ago when i was flying regional i applied and got an interview. they didn't even know what job i applied to that they were interviewing. cp was arrogant douche. i left the interview not wanting the job. this was in yyz. glad i didn't take it.
Yeah I had the same guy he came from Air Georgian so take it from there

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

CJ3PILOT wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:42 am
CorpPilot wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:11 am SSBA is a great place to work. Ive done two tours of duty there over the years and they have always been great. Organized and crews are very well supported from senior management to flight ops.

The interview with the current CP (Mark) who is a great guy and certainly a "pilots chief pilot" is HR based with no tech questions that ive seen. The interviews ive done were for large corp bizjets and id say that maybe as a lower time F/O interviewing, you might see a few tech questions.

Bonds seem to be 1-2 years based on owner/lead captain direction. Pay is very dependant on owner/aircraft size and is generally industry standard+.

Good luck!

CP
few yrs ago when i was flying regional i applied and got an interview. they didn't even know what job i applied to that they were interviewing. cp was arrogant douche. i left the interview not wanting the job. this was in yyz. glad i didn't take it.
Dudes north end YYZ now on a Challenger, non management.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:14 pm
CJ3PILOT wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:42 am

Dudes north end YYZ now on a Challenger, non management.
Good for him

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Good for him indeed. At least he can't negatively influence peoples careers.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:01 pm Good for him indeed. At least he can't negatively influence peoples careers.
Is sky service decent with schedules for maintenance do you know?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

PitchLink wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:43 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:01 pm Good for him indeed. At least he can't negatively influence peoples careers.
Not sure exactly what you mean, but as far as service, they are a heavy maintenance organization. They suffer like most operators at keeping AME and pilot talent, particularly in a short supply market.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:15 pm
PitchLink wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:43 pm
Not sure exactly what you mean, but as far as service, they are a heavy maintenance organization. They suffer like most operators at keeping AME and pilot talent, particularly in a short supply market.
Badly written post sorry. I meant to ask if they have decent shifts or work schedules for the maintenance staff.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

IIRC Yes. Not sure exactly what it is these days but they were scheduled.
PitchLink wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:06 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:15 pm
PitchLink wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:43 pm Is sky service decent with schedules for maintenance do you know?
Badly written post sorry. I meant to ask if they have decent shifts or work schedules for the maintenance staff.

Return to “Corporate”