Rolling Rest for "On Call"

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

whatsitdoingnow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Rolling Rest for "On Call"

Post by whatsitdoingnow »

As I was scouring the interweb today I came across this article from the NBAA about duty regs and being On Call. While I aware it is US based FAA regs, I was wondering what you guys/gals thought of it?

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/part135/201601 ... -times.php

Transport seem to have very vague rules with regards to being on call and rest periods. I'm aware of the new duty time rules coming down from above, but I don't believe they actually address this do they?

Thoughts?

Does your company expect you to fly a 10 hour + trip when you get the call at 9pm and have been up all day?
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Rolling Rest for "On Call"

Post by lownslow »

whatsitdoingnow wrote:Does your company expect you to fly a 10 hour + trip when you get the call at 9pm and have been up all day?
Common present relationship in Canada is that the company's responsibility is to provide you with a sufficient rest period and your responsibility is to use it to be rested. Some days are easier than others.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

whatsitdoingnow wrote:As I was scouring the interweb today I came across this article from the NBAA about duty regs and being On Call. While I aware it is US based FAA regs, I was wondering what you guys/gals thought of it?

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/part135/201601 ... -times.php

Transport seem to have very vague rules with regards to being on call and rest periods. I'm aware of the new duty time rules coming down from above, but I don't believe they actually address this do they?

Thoughts?

Does your company expect you to fly a 10 hour + trip when you get the call at 9pm and have been up all day?
If you are on-call, it's your reaponsibility to make sure you are rested for a flight anytime in your liability period. It may mean taking naps. Several times I had to launch at the of a long day, even though I was technically rested.

My first time, I was launched at 10PM after being awake since 6AM. It was a 3 hour flight and we missed on the approach back home. After diverting, we ended up back at home base at 4 AM and in bed by 6 AM, 24 hoirs after I woke up. Sucks but it was totally my fault. Since then, I take it easy when I am on call and sleep throughout the day.

Going for the deck at corner
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

AuxBatOn wrote: If you are on-call, it's your reaponsibility to make sure you are rested for a flight anytime in your liability period. It may mean taking naps. Several times I had to launch at the of a long day, even though I was technically rested.
What if you are on call 24/7 for a week? Take naps every 3 hours? Human beings are no phone chargers, you can't just be rested all the time.
AuxBatOn wrote: Sucks but it was totally my fault.
How can you even say that? Expecting you to be ready to fly for 14 hours at any random time is just ridiculous. That should not be required from anyone.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
whatsitdoingnow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by whatsitdoingnow »

I'm on call for a 14 days at a time (as is quite common I believe -14/3) so the idea of trying to stay rested and have strategic naps just in case a trip comes up is not really going to work that well. Luckily this scenario doesn't happen that often, but I do wonder what the investigation would say if you did screw up after being up for 20 hours plus.

This FAA ruling seems to put a line in the sand and says this is unacceptable, and I agree to some extent, although I suspect it would sevearly impact companies here. Maybe there is an answer somewhere between what we do now and what the FAA are ruling?

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

digits_ wrote: What if you are on call 24/7 for a week? Take naps every 3 hours? Human beings are no phone chargers, you can't just be rested all the time.
Perhaps you should not accept employment that is 24/7 on call. Otherwise, once you accept, it's up tp you to be ready.
digits_ wrote: How can you even say that? Expecting you to be ready to fly for 14 hours at any random time is just ridiculous. That should not be required from anyone.
Our regulations are clear and we are provided on-site accomodation. It was my responsibility to be fit at any time. In this case, it was a Scramble to intercept a threat to Canada. I was not about to refuse, especially knowing it was my responsibility. Lesson learned: I don't work during those shifts anymore but I chill, watch TV and nap.

Going for the deck at corner
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

We are 12 hr on call (with no structured days off).

Basically if we get notified within 12 hrs we can refuse the flight or delay 12 hrs.

Most guys are happy to go flying and will generally waive the 12 hr on call.

It all comes down to knowing your operation - do they accept a lot of late flights, are they open to medevac, do you fly to Europe or Asia? If so you are likely going to have late or overnight flights - and being on a 1 or 2 hour callout is going to be nerve wracking and often painful.

S.

Return to “Corporate”