Chartright

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Spirit
Rank 3
Rank 3

Chartright

Post by Spirit »

Can anyone provide me information on Chartright out of YYZ. FO pay, typical schedule, overnights, bonds, etc

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chartright

Post by timeflies »

Spirit wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:28 pm Can anyone provide me information on Chartright out of YYZ. FO pay, typical schedule, overnights, bonds, etc

Thanks!
up, feel free to PM me as well.

skkfdk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skkfdk »

Any info will be appreciated. Thank you

up on one
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by up on one »

Each owner's needs and wants vary which will define your schedule, pay and lifestyle as such. Certain owners will only charter their aircraft to keep the crew current while others do not want their aircraft to be parked.

The only way you will get a definitive answer is to apply and and go through the interview process.

Here are a few questions that would be something to consider,

First and foremost, is the aircraft two crew or three? Example for scheduling, If it's two crew how can they guarantee weekends off? When the owner wants to go, the owner is going.

Who is the owner and what do they do? Is it owned by said management company? If so you what schedule do I have and can it be provided in writing?

What is the call out time?

How much does it fly? 604/704 What percentage is charter flights?

How old is the other crew member? If you're younger and on the road will he be getting jolly with you during happy hour? If the other crew is younger will it mean you may not see the left seat for a while?

Vacation days/sick days/maternity leave

RRSP matching

I'm sure there's many more but these I believe are must ask questions for any interview.

I know this answer is not as black and white as you were hoping but I'm afraid it's the best answer you will get unless you go in and talk to the higher powers that be.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

By three crew do you mean three pilots or 3 full crews?

Liftdump
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Liftdump »

He or She means 3 pilots per plane not 3 crews per plane.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Thanks, that is what I thought. 3 full crews would of seemed excessive.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

LegoMan wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:58 am Thanks, that is what I thought. 3 full crews would of seemed excessive.
But pretty sweet haha

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

Removed by Sulako. Inaccurate post.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

They bond you for recurrents? That's ridiculous.

up on one
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by up on one »

No they do not bond for recurrent training. The bond is two years pro rated on the initial course which seems to be industry standard.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Thanks for clarifying. Lots of fake news these days.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

It's unfortunately very typical to bond for 2 years on the corporate side - more specifically charter management.

True corporate FDs rarely bond as the likelihood of an individual leaving is low. However management companies do to protect the owners as the QOL is sometimes lower. The QOL is rapidly changing though to attract higher quality candidates.

I don't see the bonds disappearing anytime soon unfortunately - especially not with the majors and feeders on their hiring sprees.

What to look for if you are going to sign - is the bond in line with the cost of training - what you should be signing is just the training and not the expenses that go with it (flights, hotel, per diems etc rolled into the mix).

S.

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Bonds are fine as there is generally lots of movement in the segment, but QOL and pay needs to keep up with changing landscape. There will be a time when these management companies in order to keep the owners will have to tell them the truth that its going to cost more, either by hiring a third pilot or paying more money.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

It's getting there. I've heard some owners are concerned about the QOL of some of their pilots and outright refusing charters (instead of hiring a third crew).

I guess it goes both ways, keeps crew and reduces depreciation (even though it's pretty steady regardless).

I'm in the group that likes a schedule if I can find one and fly more when I am scheduled on duty.

To each their own.

S.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Bonds are a sign there is a shortage in pay, advancement, or quality of life.

Yep, corporate departments don’t have bonds. They pay good and (usually) don’t work you too hard. Fractionals and management companies exist because their clients are too poor or cheap to have a flight department, and those costs are made up by sharing an aircraft, having minimal crew, flying the snot out of the aircraft doing 3rd party charters and for multiple clients, and paying their pilots dirt.

The only way you can rationalize a quality of life is looking backwards at the reserve and maintenance days you didn’t fly... tied to cellphone, sobriety, and a one hour leash from the airport except your handful of rare, inconvenient, and short notice GDOs.

They’re a stepping stone to the airlines, corporate, or overseas flying. That’s it. Nobody starts in this industry thinking Chartright or Air Partners or Air Sprint is their destination company.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

That will have to change - because their is a finite limit owners will accept with regards to experience and risk.

I can't imagine a person worth half a billion dollars is going to hop onto a personal jet with 2 green pilots with freshly stamped AAs. Corporate and chartered flight departments do not have the resources or time to bring a flight instructor or low time non-IFR pilot up to speed in the 2-3 weeks a typical jet training course and PPC takes place. Airlines do - hence their extended cadet programs that start right out of flight school.

S.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Just reading an article that includes info on them. Didn't realize how big they are....4 dozen aircraft managed.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

pelmet wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:48 am Just reading an article that includes info on them. Didn't realize how big they are....4 dozen aircraft managed.
One of the fastest growing flight departments in Toronto. I would rank Skyservice as number one for size and growth, but until they've built those fresh hangars on the south side, they have plum run out of space.

Something like 80% over capacity right now. :shock:

S.

AirportCoffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AirportCoffee »

What happens when the owner sells their aircraft? Are the pilots then transferred to another aircraft that is managed by Chartright or do they get told to go take a hike? What happens with the bond if this is the case?

Return to “Corporate”