Barrick Gold ad

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Barrick Gold ad

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:25 am
CL-Skadoo! wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:06 am I know for sure when you are on, it's on call - but not sure about schedule. I know they have multiple crews per jet, but how the rotation works out, not quite sure.

All Johnny and I know is guys really enjoy it. Talking with one of the main guys there, he lives for the trips, loves being busy and seeing the world. While family is important, home life is not a high priority. I am paraphrasing.

S.
Thanks for the info on that, exactly what I needed to hear.
I hope I haven't persuaded you not to apply. Please apply, interview with the guys, and let them tell you what it is all about.

My info in 2nd hand - and that tends to be misinterpreted.

I'd rather you have it come direct to you.

S.
Quite the opposite! Although I'm in a really good place right now with my flight department, it might be nice to get back into ocean jumping again. I certainly do miss it and I don't have the home constraints that most do. If it can be done with a little bit of kindness on the scheduling end of things it could be a great fit. 35-40 hours per month seems respectable if there is some time off you can bank on every so often.
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:07 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:25 am
CL-Skadoo! wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:09 am

Thanks for the info on that, exactly what I needed to hear.
I hope I haven't persuaded you not to apply. Please apply, interview with the guys, and let them tell you what it is all about.

My info in 2nd hand - and that tends to be misinterpreted.

I'd rather you have it come direct to you.

S.
Quite the opposite! Although I'm in a really good place right now with my flight department, it might be nice to get back into ocean jumping again. I certainly do miss it and I don't have the home constraints that most do. If it can be done with a little bit of kindness on the scheduling end of things it could be a great fit. 35-40 hours per month seems respectable if there is some time off you can bank on every so often.
I wish you the best of luck - you sound like you'd be a great fit.

S.

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Speedalive »

Man, flying for Barrick Gold is the dream! Flying a Falcon would be amazing too. I envy all of you who get to fly these machines. How long does it take, on average, to get to a stage in your career where you’d be considered for these positions? From what I understand, you’d need 5000+ hours at a minimum to be looked at. Is this correct?

Ever since my class did a tour of the Sunwest Aviation hangar and their fleet here in YYC (Even got to step inside their gorgeous Falcon 900!), I’ve been hooked on the idea of becoming a corporate pilot. I love the idea of travelling the world and going to cool places that the airlines wouldn’t get you to. It would be neat to meet the successful people in the back as well :)

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

It's pretty quick nowadays - best bet is to direct your energy on the charter side of the industry as soon as able to build the time, and appropriate experience. Airlining at the regionals will help with total time, but transitioning off a schedule can be a challenge some aren't willing to accept.

Actually - a great spot whether short term or for the long haul is Air Sprint. Bases west and east, lots of different aircraft. Company is very open, and that type of flying can lead you to meet lots of important individuals who down the road can help you get to a corporate FD - if that still is your goal at that point in time.

You'd be surprised - while experience (hours) helps, a lot of it is personality. If you can shake hands with those that matter, drink a coffee over a good conversation, that makes up for a lot of total experience. What most corporate pilots want in the cockpit with them is someone that they can socialize with at their destination. They spend a fair amount of their life on the road with only one or two crew members. The bigger the jet, the farther you go. Sitting in an office no bigger than a walk-in closet, personality is a must.

Keep that PMA (positive mental attitude), and watch lots of stand-up, Archer, Family Guy, Simpsons. The perfectly timed joke can make the difference on a 12 hour overnight leg. At least those are the guys and girls I like to fly with once I ascertain they aren't a complete block of rot wood.

Best of luck in your endeavours brother, fly safe.

S.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:53 pm It's pretty quick nowadays - best bet is to direct your energy on the charter side of the industry as soon as able to build the time, and appropriate experience. Airlining at the regionals will help with total time, but transitioning off a schedule can be a challenge some aren't willing to accept.

Actually - a great spot whether short term or for the long haul is Air Sprint. Bases west and east, lots of different aircraft. Company is very open, and that type of flying can lead you to meet lots of important individuals who down the road can help you get to a corporate FD - if that still is your goal at that point in time.

You'd be surprised - while experience (hours) helps, a lot of it is personality. If you can shake hands with those that matter, drink a coffee over a good conversation, that makes up for a lot of total experience. What most corporate pilots want in the cockpit with them is someone that they can socialize with at their destination. They spend a fair amount of their life on the road with only one or two crew members. The bigger the jet, the farther you go. Sitting in an office no bigger than a walk-in closet, personality is a must.

Keep that PMA (positive mental attitude), and watch lots of stand-up, Archer, Family Guy, Simpsons. The perfectly timed joke can make the difference on a 12 hour overnight leg. At least those are the guys and girls I like to fly with once I ascertain they aren't a complete block of rot wood.

S.
Yea, you need to come work with us. 8) 8)

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Speedalive »

Thanks for the reply! You’re quick! I really appreciate the advice :-)

Air Sprint seems like a great place to work and I’m glad you think it’s a good place to build some valuable experience. Their DFO came to do a presentation at our school earlier in the school year and I definitely got really good vibes from him. We’re extremely fortunate to have an agreement with them where they’ll take one student a year from our graduating class and put them right seat in a jet after a year of “proving ourselves” as a clerk. They’ll even pay for us to rent a plane to meet the ATPL PIC requirements. I’m definitely aiming for that! If luck isn’t on my side for that though, I’m sure there’s about a thousand other ways to get there!

I can imagine that being with someone who can’t hold a conversation to save their life on a long haul flight and then goes straight to the hotel until the flight back would be pretty painful!

I totally agree with you about the sense of humour.. it makes all the difference, even on those 2 hour long haul flights in a 172 :D

Thanks again for the tips!

-Speedalive

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

In the corporate world you don’t build time very quickly (less than 100hrs per year in some cases). If you ever want to upgrade to Captain you NEED to get some PIC hours somewhere else, like a regional airline or a busy charter company etc...

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:32 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:53 pm It's pretty quick nowadays - best bet is to direct your energy on the charter side of the industry as soon as able to build the time, and appropriate experience. Airlining at the regionals will help with total time, but transitioning off a schedule can be a challenge some aren't willing to accept.

S.
Yea, you need to come work with us. 8) 8)
This industry is small, I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point - especially on this side of the coin.

S.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Speedalive wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:40 pm Thanks for the reply! You’re quick! I really appreciate the advice :-)

Thanks again for the tips!

-Speedalive
I'm busy doing online recurrent ground school and AV Canada is a wonderful distraction between quizzes.

I love to help when I can.

S.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Saw that on the news last night... RIP.

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Speedalive »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:51 pm In the corporate world you don’t build time very quickly (less than 100hrs per year in some cases). If you ever want to upgrade to Captain you NEED to get some PIC hours somewhere else, like a regional airline or a busy charter company etc...
Don’t corporate carriers not like it when you come from the airlines? A buddy of mine told me that they might be reluctant to hire you since your customer service might not be up to par compared to someone who has previous charter/corporate experience.

RIP Peter Munk.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

The preference is definitely for corporate experience but if you come in with 1500 hrs total time with a bare minimum of PIC, and you are now flying as SIC doing 200hrs per year, when can you expect to upgrade?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Not reluctant - but it will be a conversation in the interview as to your intentions. Someone who has a history of corporate rarely has to discuss their ability to be on call or intentions.

Go get your experience up - whatever way that happens - medivac, northern charters, survey, Air Sprint. Have a blast - get as much experience as you can - 2500-3000 seems to be the magical number nowadays with jet time for upgrades and DEC.

Chartright has their Ultras and those guys are packing on hours quickly - possibly another great avenue - and something that wasn't there 3 years ago. Don't know how long they can run those Ultras at their current rate.

It seems like a long way off - but corporate comes quicker than you think. Who knows - you may change your mind altogether.

Enjoy this amazing growth while it lasts.

S.

Gooddog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Gooddog »

What do companies like Scotia, Barrick or Onyx pay for that big iron?

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

Most established corporate flight departments only hire captains, and I would guess those folks are making north of $200K right now.

big_sky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by big_sky »

NovaBoy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:43 am Most established corporate flight departments only hire captains, and I would guess those folks are making north of $200K right now.
This is accurate, salaries have definitely gone up on heavy biz jets in Canada.

Return to “Corporate”