Corporate Question

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Avrocanada
Rank 1
Rank 1

Corporate Question

Post by Avrocanada »

Hey guys,

Have a question for you. I'm looking on making the shift from 703 to corporate. Though I have a few questions on the path that I should take. Now, I'm a 2000hr pilot with 300hrs PIC on a Caravan and ATPL however my multicrew/MIFR experience is very limited. Now I know that I make some of the min requirements for some companies. However, I'm wondering if I should stay with the company that I'm with, take a bond on the king air as an FO (for 18mo) just to get that experience right seat? Would some companies look at me, or is my limited experience as mulitcrew a deal breaker? I've talked to some people around the corporate world and they are split. They agree that getting time on the KA would help, but for 18mo is a little long. Plus not to mention the slight feeling of moving backwards, since most of the FOs are 400hr wonders.

Anyways, any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Avrocanada
---------- ADS -----------

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Corporate Question

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Most corporate operators only fly 200-400 hrs per year. At that rate you may find yourself in the right seat for many years. And since this isn’t the airline world, they can and will hire direct entry captains ahead of you.
Better to come to this side of the industry with some solid PIC time.

Avrocanada
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Avrocanada »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:17 pm Most corporate operators only fly 200-400 hrs per year. At that rate you may find yourself in the right seat for many years. And since this isn’t the airline world, they can and will hire direct entry captains ahead of you.
Better to come to this side of the industry with some solid PIC time.
Just to clarify I have 1800hrs PIC, but 300 turbine PIC.

Not sure if that changes anything!

Thanks!

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Corporate operators look for candidates with relevant experience and decent total time. If you eventually want to be a captain in the corporate world I’d highly recommend getting some jet time in the charter world first.

So the question is, how do you get to a biz jet charter operator? Well, typically you work your way through a large company like sunwest, or you get your experience somewhere else and then move into an operation like aurora, air sprint or London air, among others.

These companies typically look for 2500-3000 total time and a few hundred multi turbine PIC in order to satisfy their need for a quick upgrade. Typically you’d spend 1-2 years right seat and if all looks good upgrade to capt on a smallish jet like a citation or Lear. From there you just have to get some jet pic, network to find the corporate operators you are interested in and with a bit of luck hopefully land he position you’re after.

Almost every one takes a different track to get to a good corporate gig, so there’s no hard and fast rule. But, generally speaking, get your PIC first to land the position you want for the long term. King air medevac or charter jobs is a well respected and great way to get the multi turbine pic.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

1)- 18 months for a kingair is a bit too much unless you make sure it's prorated and you are willing to pay half of it, after this you will probably go 705.

2)- I believe you can go 705 from now ( that s what i would do ), should that be the case in a couple of years you will either continue 705 or go corporate at that time they will consider you seriously.

3)- Should you decide to go corporate from now make sure you fly a minimum of 500 hr- yearly ( unlikely ) otherwise you are going to be stuck on the right seat forever.

I hope this helps, Good luck.

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Apply for the jobs you want, not just the ones you think you can get! I can attest from personal experience, hours in the logbook are just a small part of a large equation we look at when hiring.

Return to “Corporate”