Corporate Pilot Banter

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Corporate Pilot Banter

Post by throwawaycorporate »

Hello Everyone!

Sorry if this post seems absolutely ridiculous. I had to create a new account for obvious reasons.

I have just started a job in the corporate/charter world and was talking to another pilot around the hangar. I asked how their trip in _______ went? What they got up to and where they might be going next. Although they answered, I was politely informed that as charter pilots we should be keeping our schedules more on DL.

This made me think? What other unwritten etiquette or rules is there while interacting with other pilots? (or anyone really!) Again, sorry if this question seems ridiculous... I just don't want to become the Borat of the pilot community.
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Corporate Pilot Banter

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

throwawaycorporate wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:40 pm Hello Everyone!

Sorry if this post seems absolutely ridiculous. I had to create a new account for obvious reasons.

I have just started a job in the corporate/charter world and was talking to another pilot around the hangar. I asked how their trip in _______ went? What they got up to and where they might be going next. Although they answered, I was politely informed that as charter pilots we should be keeping our schedules more on DL.

This made me think? What other unwritten etiquette or rules is there while interacting with other pilots? (or anyone really!) Again, sorry if this question seems ridiculous... I just don't want to become the Borat of the pilot community.
Don't know that rule. I think there is a certain level of discretion as to the depth of information you share - i.e who is on-board. Charter is very competitive, so giving up client information is probably what they were referring to. However I would never not share destination information.

It's great to learn about new places and the holes in the wall along the way. At the end of the day though, corporate is like incest; everyone is somehow related and they all like to.......each other.

Welcome to the black sheep of professional aviation.

S.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eyebrow737
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by eyebrow737 »

Mapleflt wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:32 pm Where your going; who your carrying and any other plans are your clients business no one else's and YOU need to respect that, period full stop !!!
Take yourself serious too much?

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Mapleflt wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:32 pm Where your going; who your carrying and any other plans are your clients business no one else's and YOU need to respect that, period full stop !!!
Yes God forbid you tell your family where you're going for the weekend.

Your clients have to remain anonymous, but you're going somewhere too, and if you can't tell someone where you're going you're probably working for the wrong person.

eyebrow737
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by eyebrow737 »

FL007 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:17 pm
Yes God forbid you tell your family where you're going for the weekend.

Your clients have to remain anonymous, but you're going somewhere too, and if you can't tell someone where you're going you're probably working for the wrong person.
I think he thinks he works for the CIA..

toelessjoe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by toelessjoe »

*you're, you're and your*

You're welcome.

- Toeless. :smt040

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

toelessjoe wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:24 pm
*you're, you're and your*

You're welcome.

- Toeless. :smt040
Savage.

throwawaycorporate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by throwawaycorporate »

Definitely understand keeping anything to do with the client discrete.

However, I didn't know that it was not appropriate to talk amongst ourselves about what we personally do to keep busy in various destinations. What else do you talk about at some random FBO?

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

throwawaycorporate wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:18 pm Definitely understand keeping anything to do with the client discrete.

However, I didn't know that it was not appropriate to talk amongst ourselves about what we personally do to keep busy in various destinations. What else do you talk about at some random FBO?
You don't talk, you nod discreetly amongst yourselves knowing your life is veiled in secrecy, then a blacked out limo takes you to an undisclosed location where you can make one phone call to a family member of your choice.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

throwawaycorporate wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:18 pm Definitely understand keeping anything to do with the client discrete.

I always ask when running into different crews what they think of their operation, aircraft and destinations.

Some like to talk, others keep to themselves. I guess the big thing is reading the person and not prying. Most normal crews are perfectly happy to share non-client related information to help get a better idea of industry QOLs.

The more you know, the better you are when it comes to negotiating different aspects of your employment.

S.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Yes, you must maintain that air of secrecy as to not divulge trade secrets of the toothpaste magnates.

You thought the sniveling was bad in aviation, 10 times worse in corporate. That guy was you talked to was just trying to protect his precious jet job, probably worried you were going to back stab him an take his job like the others.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I was once offered a job for a survey gig, on a wednesday. Wife talked to her friend, kind of reallllllly broad details. You know well he will work in south america, the middle east etc........no countries, no clients, really nothing other than he is going flying "somewhere". Wifes friend talked to mutual friend at a party saturday. Monday 9 am, read the riot act and job offer withdrawn.

Moral of the story

1st rule of Flight Club, we don't talk about flight club.

Nowadays all my aircraft are blocked nothing besides aircraft type, no flightplans on 3rd party servers. My response is "of course sir, when would you like to leave"

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

rigpiggy wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:05 pm
I was once offered a job for a survey gig, on a wednesday. Wife talked to her friend, kind of reallllllly broad details. You know well he will work in south america, the middle east etc........no countries, no clients, really nothing other than he is going flying "somewhere". Wifes friend talked to mutual friend at a party saturday. Monday 9 am, read the riot act and job offer withdrawn.

Moral of the story

1st rule of Flight Club, we don't talk about flight club.

Nowadays all my aircraft are blocked nothing besides aircraft type, no flightplans on 3rd party servers. My response is "of course sir, when would you like to leave"
That is very extreme...shitake.

Moral of the story, don't tell any of your wives anything.

S.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

I did corporate for five years. The only thing you don't talk about is your client or their business.

If someone tells you that you are breaking the cardinal rule for asking about a trip they did to Miami, tell them to take a pill. As long as you don't ask about the folks in the back their is no unwritten rules.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Happened to be at an airport where a couple of corporate pilots were stuck due to not having a SID that would get them out in 1/8th SM FG...

They were happy to talk about the company, where they flew in from, where they were going, etc. Didn't bother asking about pax, because it's irrelevant.

It's pretty laughable to think that in any area of aviation your going to be able to stop pilots from talking - we're all bullshitters of extraordinary ability.

C208
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C208 »

Not too too Long ago I was at an FBO in Calgary and saw an AC Jetz Airbus when we pulled in. (Flames were playing that night) After our Pax Deplaned me and the other pilot were just kinda chumming around and the Skipper (who obviously knew who we worked for) said, "Are you guys just heading back to XXXX" I said with a big smile "yup you bet", then followed by some light chin wag, and so I then ventured into the deep end and asked him the same question, "where you guys heading off to" And with a stone cold response, "I cant tell you that" LOL. You idiot. I still laugh at at that today. Smug Bastard.

Raptor-Con
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Raptor-Con »

I have seen this a few times, except I was the passenger. I had a nice 30-somethings pilot who looked like he'd just been put in the microwave (by that I mean he was incredibly sunburned), as I was in Norway at the time, I decided (for some reason, unknown to me even now) to ask him if he'd finally found the sun in Norway, and where you can find it (clearly I thought he'd just been somewhere warm, like Texas or somewhere similar).

He simply replied to me: "Sir, I have just come back from the desert." Which I took to mean he'd just come from somewhere in the Middle East, so I asked him what country, and he gave me no reply. I did see his co-pilot try to ask him more about it during the flight, to which he just responded "Don't ask, don't care."

I don't know if that's some banter/'secret' code, as the co-pilot just smiled and chuckled to himself...

Check out my latest work at https://internationalaviationhq.com! It's all about aviation!
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

throwawaycorporate wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:40 pm ... I just don't want to become the Borat of the pilot community.
I had a good laugh at that, but then it occurred to me that I'm worried that might have happened to me.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself

Return to “Corporate”