Corporate Rotational Work in YYZ

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

SOP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Corporate Rotational Work in YYZ

Post by SOP »

Good Morning

Are there corporate flight departments in Toronto that offers rotational work for pilots that don’t reside within the GTA?

Many thanks
---------- ADS -----------

vrrotate
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Corporate Rotational Work in YYZ

Post by vrrotate »

As far as traditional corporate flight departments go there are none in YYZ that I know of that offer rotational work.

Fractional or charter outfits may be different. AirSprint has been advertising a lot this last year and they seem to offer two weeks on two weeks off or something like that.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

vrrotate wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:06 am As far as traditional corporate flight departments go there are none in YYZ that I know of that offer rotational work.

Fractional or charter outfits may be different. AirSprint has been advertising a lot this last year and they seem to offer two weeks on two weeks off or something like that.
At airsprint it’s 14 days on 14 days off in a 28 day bid but it’s not consecutive days on/off. It’ll depend on what the PBS spits out as to what the schedule will be from block to block. Plus it’s a sub-schedule offshoot from the standard 16/12 schedule with limited spots. This means it’s on a lower pay scale as well.

flaps78
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flaps78 »

Suggest that you go to the Middle East (Saudi). USD, no income tax. Expect a longer rotation i.e.
6 weeks on / 3 weeks off or similar

Radiohead
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Radiohead »

Blueontop wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 pm
vrrotate wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:06 am As far as traditional corporate flight departments go there are none in YYZ that I know of that offer rotational work.

At airsprint it’s 14 days on 14 days off in a 28 day bid but it’s not consecutive days on/off. It’ll depend on what the PBS spits out as to what the schedule will be from block to block. Plus it’s a sub-schedule offshoot from the standard 16/12 schedule with limited spots. This means it’s on a lower pay scale as well.
As Blueontop said, it is a schedule still subject to the 7-8 days in a row working schedule, that can be stretched with the waiver to a maximum of 13 days worked in a row (which would give you a pseudo 2 week on 2 week off schedule if you're willing to do that) which is subject to the bidding system which can give you things quite different than you have asked for. Also the 14-14 schedule is not only a lower pay scale (as you would expect) it is also a lower daily rate, compared to the 18-10 and 16-12 which both share a same daily rate. AirSprint pays those on the 14-14 between 2.5% and 3.5% less - depending on position and aircraft flown - per day year 1 pay than those on 16-12 or 18-10 (18-10 doesn't get 2.5% more for whatever reason?).

I guess management doesn't want to encourage people to jump on the 14-14 too eagerly, so they don't provide equal pay for equal work.

AirSprintInc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AirSprintInc »

Radiohead wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 am
Blueontop wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 pm

As Blueontop said, it is a schedule still subject to the 7-8 days in a row working schedule, that can be stretched with the waiver to a maximum of 13 days worked in a row (which would give you a pseudo 2 week on 2 week off schedule if you're willing to do that) which is subject to the bidding system which can give you things quite different than you have asked for. Also the 14-14 schedule is not only a lower pay scale (as you would expect) it is also a lower daily rate, compared to the 18-10 and 16-12 which both share a same daily rate. AirSprint pays those on the 14-14 between 2.5% and 3.5% less - depending on position and aircraft flown - per day year 1 pay than those on 16-12 or 18-10 (18-10 doesn't get 2.5% more for whatever reason?).

I guess management doesn't want to encourage people to jump on the 14-14 too eagerly, so they don't provide equal pay for equal work.
Good Morning,

I will be happy to provide some clarification to our scheduling options, and most of what is posted above is correct, the 14 and 14 schedule is available across our fleet and while there are limited spots available, a quick look shows that we have availability on both types for both Captains and First Officers. Due to the rules we have in place with our preferential bidding system (PBS), the longest possible stretch of days on reserve is 13. In addition, we do require our pilots to be within a reasonable driving distance to the airport that they are based at during their reserve days, and while we do cover all costs associated with positioning to and from your home base for operational purposes, we do not cover the cost of positioning to/from your home base and your residence. For these reasons I would not recommend our schedule to someone who is looking for a strictly rotational style schedule.

As far as pay in concerned for the different schedule options, there is indeed a difference for the 14/14 and 18/10 schedules, however, I would like to highlight the fact that those on the 14/14 schedule receive the same access to vacation, time off options, and other benefits that are available to those on higher schedules. There is currently, nor has there been in the past, a preference by management towards any schedule. We currently have 8 pilots on the 14/14 schedule (more than 10 percent of our current pilot group) and those that are currently on this schedule that I have received feedback from thoroughly enjoy the additional time off and lifestyle it provides.

Radiohead, I certainly appreciate your concern regarding the daily rate differences and would be happy to address them with you personally if given the opportunity. I mentioned in another thread that I would also be happy to discuss your frustrations with our operations and management decisions and that offer continues to stand, my door is open and phone is on :)

Kind Regards,

Matt Rolleman
Chief Pilot C25A/B
AirSprint Inc.

Return to “Corporate”