SkyService Lear Damaged

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

SkyService Lear Damaged

Post by pelmet »

C-GMCP, a Bombardier Learjet 45 aircraft operated by Skyservice Business Aviation, was
conducting a flight from Edinburgh (EGPH), United Kingdom to Reykjavik/Keflavik (BIKF), Iceland
with 4 crew members onboard. During pushback at EGPH, the nose landing gear collapsed. There
were no injuries. The nose landing gear and surrounding airframe structure were damaged.
The UK AAIB is investigating (Ref EW/G2019/05/01)
---------- ADS -----------

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: SkyService Lear Damaged

Post by DanWEC »

:roll:

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Lol seriously. Why is this a post. Go outside pelmet.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Hangry wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:40 am Lol seriously. Why is this a post. Go outside pelmet.
Why is this a post? Surprised you haven't figured it out but......To be honest, I am curious why this happened and am interested in more info. Maybe something preventative could be learned. Will wait for the report and post.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Not a judgement on the crew or anything, just a possibility: accidentally hit the brakes during pushback? Or feet on the brakes when the tug starts to push? Really have to fight to overcome well ingrained reflexes. Pushback for corporate jet crews is a rare thing, especially in the smaller jets. I always have to consciously tell myself “feet on the floor” when we do our pushbacks that average probably one per year.

Just a thought, not an indictment of anyone.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Hangry wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:40 am Lol seriously. Why is this a post. Go outside pelmet.
Well, let's see. For starters, AvCanada is an aviation forum, last I checked, and the post related to an incident involving an aircraft. Pretty hard to argue the relevance of the post, or for that matter the OP's prerogative to post it.
Continuing on, a pretty basic procedure went seriously awry and there was damage to an aircraft as a result. The aircraft owner is inconvenienced, and possibly out of pocket if his insurance claim is refused for some reason.
The aircraft and/or ground crew may or may not be at risk depending on whether someone screwed up or whether this was an equipment failure, pure and simple.
I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder what went wrong and how a recurrence could be avoided, whether through changed SOPs, more/better training, and/or equipment modifications or changes.
Seems to me a perfectly legitimate post.

ChrisEvans
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChrisEvans »

Lear is owned by a USA Medical Company and managed by Skyservice. It departed for Geneva today May 7 ..
so whatever the damage - it seems fixed - unless it flew to Geneva for maintenance???

I'd guess (just a guess) that either the Lear had it's brakes on and tow pushed a little too hard - or the tow just pushed
to hard to fast.

stopsquawk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by stopsquawk »

I've flown the Lear 45 and 75. I recall a discussion in initial training about self test functions that take place during power up and engine start involving hydraulics or antiskid.... I can't really recall the details. I do recall however, that it was not a good idea to start engines during a push or tow because brakes may be automatically applied during engine start.

Return to “Corporate”