CBAA 2019 Compensation Survey

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

JULIETTE
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: CBAA 2019 Compensation Survey

Post by JULIETTE »

Thank you!

Interesting.... I would have thought some of the numbers would have been higher, and a little more differentiation between super heavy international Captain and a mid size captain.

I am slightly sceptical about some of the numbers, given Sprints Citation pay and Legacy pay (5years) would all be above the 90% in their class, Skyservice G200 and Challenger pay would be at or above the 90% as well. Unless Chartright is pulling down the averages, it seems most of the larger players West and East are within the top of the 90% or above....

Good to see a jump of 10%+ from last year in most pilot categories.
---------- ADS -----------

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

Yeah, something is a little screwy with the 2019 numbers. They don't seem to accurately portray the situation and there may, in fact, be a number of companies that are dragging them down on purpose, to deter major tete-a-tetes going forward.

If you look at the big picture and have been following the recent salary growth (circa 2015/16), you can see the positive macros within the matrix. Many companies, in trying to woo clients, undersell by a boatload and forget to tell those price sensitive clients how difficult it will be attracting experienced flightcrew at said wages.

CBAA should create a list of average cost and length of the training agreements these companies seem to think are the bees knees. I've heard some ridiculous numbers, like 100K for a super midsize type over 2 years?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Can't believe Global Express, Gulfstream 550/650 and 7X captains don't make more then indicated on that pay scale.

I can tell you that the senior captains on the Globals make a lot more money than that.

But again in the corporate world, whether managed or on their own, the pay will depend on the owner.

The only thing that counts when talking pay is the base salary, RRSP contributions (or any other such schemes) and overtime... Per diems are not part of the salary.

BTW, in 2019 I got $32,801.00 in per diems.

CYYC/CYBW
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CYYC/CYBW »

Jet Jockey wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:14 pm Can't believe Global Express, Gulfstream 550/650 and 7X captains don't make more then indicated on that pay scale

They do. The 650/550 pilots in Calgary are well over 200k and my friend just got on a Global out of YYZ, over 200k.

As stated earlier, it seems the numbers are purposely low for some reason.... take them with scepticism, and try to get the actual numbers for pilots on the field.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

CYYC/CYBW wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:09 pm
Jet Jockey wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:14 pm Can't believe Global Express, Gulfstream 550/650 and 7X captains don't make more then indicated on that pay scale

They do. The 650/550 pilots in Calgary are well over 200k and my friend just got on a Global out of YYZ, over 200k.

As stated earlier, it seems the numbers are purposely low for some reason.... take them with scepticism, and try to get the actual numbers for pilots on the field.
Count me in that group plus many others in CYUL.

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

Jet Jockey wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:27 am
CYYC/CYBW wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:09 pm

Count me in that group plus many others in CYUL.
I'm guessing Captains versus First Officers regarding north of 200k.

CYYC/CYBW
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CYYC/CYBW »

cjp wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:05 am
Yes. Most larger Corporate is run In a co-captain scenario, so FO wages are harder to pin down.

I know an FO that was making 120k in 2017/2018. His upgrade put him over 200k.

So if things have gone up by 10-15% as suggested earlier, an FO SHOULD still be around 130-140k for 2020.

I have talked to a few people who have said they would take an FO spot on a large corporate for under 100k, so obviously if the company doesn’t care about experience, then the going rate of an FO could be as low as 80k. There is always someone who is dumb enough to chase the carrot of “be an FO for a couple years at crap pay, and then we MAYBE will upgrade you” It’s a common corporate tactic to get pilots to take less than the usual rate or what they are worth and I’m sure lots would knowingly do this.

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

CYYC/CYBW wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:58 am
cjp wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:05 am
Yes. Most larger Corporate is run In a co-captain scenario, so FO wages are harder to pin down.

I know an FO that was making 120k in 2017/2018. His upgrade put him over 200k.

So if things have gone up by 10-15% as suggested earlier, an FO SHOULD still be around 130-140k for 2020.

I have talked to a few people who have said they would take an FO spot on a large corporate for under 100k, so obviously if the company doesn’t care about experience, then the going rate of an FO could be as low as 80k. There is always someone who is dumb enough to chase the carrot of “be an FO for a couple years at crap pay, and then we MAYBE will upgrade you” It’s a common corporate tactic to get pilots to take less than the usual rate or what they are worth and I’m sure lots would knowingly do this.
Roger. It's nice to see healthy wages on the long range jets.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

cjp wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:05 am Roger. It's nice to see healthy wages on the long range jets.
We run co-captains but obviously there is still seniority within the group with the older captains making more money.

You start at the bottom of the scale (don't know what it is anymore) and once you hit the maximum we usually get cost of living plus 1%.

Also, regardless of the type you fly in our outfit, you are on the same pay scale. So guys flying the CL60 get the same pay as the guys on the BD700.

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

Jet Jockey wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:41 pm
cjp wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:05 am Roger. It's nice to see healthy wages on the long range jets.
We run co-captains but obviously there is still seniority within the group with the older captains making more money.

You start at the bottom of the scale (don't know what it is anymore) and once you hit the maximum we usually get cost of living plus 1%.

Also, regardless of the type you fly in our outfit, you are on the same pay scale. So guys flying the CL60 get the same pay as the guys on the BD700.
Very interesting. I guess it helps keep guys happy on the machine they want to fly, rather than being forced to chase tin for dollars. Big wings, big bags.

Wammer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wammer »

So an FO on a GV in Vancouver should be looking at $100+ then I would think?

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

The last line in the graphic shows FO on long range aircraft has a range from $62k - $105k as the base salary. Given the current market I would expect recent hiring to be toward the upper end of that spectrum. Comparably, you can go to a regional, upgrade to left seat in a year and make over $100k easy with just picking up some OT as well as pension / RRSP matching. The competition for experience is heating up and we, as pilots, can be more selective in what we are willing to accept. We just have to keep the "I'll do anything to fly a GV" types in line so they don't drag us all down.

Stay strong brother! I would say if you have the experience to sit right seat in GV / 650 / Global you're worth more in the current market.

My 2 cents...

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

Wammer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:06 am So an FO on a GV in Vancouver should be looking at $100+ then I would think?
Yes.
Freeport_Flyer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:28 pm The last line in the graphic shows FO on long range aircraft has a range from $62k - $105k as the base salary....

My 2 cents...
Pay is based on experience, not just metal unfortunately. I have in the past seen ads for FO's on Global's asking for an ATPL and 1500 hrs - you literally haven't got a leg to stand on when it comes to negotiating pay if you are bottom of the barrel.

If you have some relevant experience - you would be top tier pay nowadays, no question. The spots I've seen with unreasonably low pay and working conditions, I'm sorry to say - are based mostly in Quebec.

rippey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rippey »

The last line in the graphic shows FO on long range aircraft has a range from $62k - $105k as the base salary.
I imagine that range is from a pretty small data set. I’d guess that 90% of the globals/gulfstreams in Canada are operated with two captains up front. Not sure the exact number but at my company out of 20+ global drivers I can think of only one that’s an f/o. Seems the progression is usually f/o on a small jet, to captain on a small jet, and then it seems like it’s pretty common to keep the left seat as one moves into bigger machines.

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

rippey wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:56 pm
The last line in the graphic shows FO on long range aircraft has a range from $62k - $105k as the base salary.
I imagine that range is from a pretty small data set. I’d guess that 90% of the globals/gulfstreams in Canada are operated with two captains up front. Not sure the exact number but at my company out of 20+ global drivers I can think of only one that’s an f/o. Seems the progression is usually f/o on a small jet, to captain on a small jet, and then it seems like it’s pretty common to keep the left seat as one moves into bigger machines.
That's actually a really good point.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

In our operation all pilots are captains.

Spanner13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spanner13 »

Great news on the salaries for the jet drivers.
Does anyone have the numbers from the survey for the maintenance side ? I know there out there somewhere!
Feel free to PM me if you have info.

Return to “Corporate”