Airline to Corporate

Discussion of topics related to corporate aviation throughout the world.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Paconats
Rank 0
Rank 0

Airline to Corporate

Post by Paconats »

I understand there's a reluctance to hire airline pilots into corporate jobs for fear that they will shortly return to another airline job or will not want to be involved in some of the other responsibilities that go along with a corporate flying gig. How do I overcome that reluctance as an airline pilot who wants to switch to corporate specifically because of those extra responsibilities? I want to be involved in all aspects of the operation, not just flying from A to B. I have not lost my job so am not looking for a temporary position until my airline job comes back. I'm looking for a permanent career change.

I have applied to numerous corporate postings and generally exceed, sometimes significantly, all the posted requirements with the exception of "previous corporate experience required/an asset" yet I have not received even a hint of interest from any of them.

Any tips suggestions appreciated on how to make the switch and convince management companies or flight departments to at least take a look at me.
---------- ADS -----------

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Airline to Corporate

Post by YC87DRVR »

Unfortunately it may be difficult for you to avoid the auto ignore from the hiring person viewing your resume. You may have to wait until things return to a somewhat normal level before they time the time to dig deeper into your intentions. Also any corporate operator who will jump at your resume during these times likely isn’t a place you’re going to want to hang your hat.
The only other option may be internal recommends and introductions if you know anyone. That’s typically the only way into the best corporate positions anyways.

CJ3PILOT
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CJ3PILOT »

I have worked with airline pilots in a corporate flight department and some are really good but most should stay with the airlines.They have a hard time dealing with the passengers dealing with the FBO finding hotel rooms and doing flight planning which is all part of the job.But on the good side they know how to run a cockpit and they know procedures very well.And just a note I would any day take an airline pilot over a military pilot that is an all new ball game.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Have you tried applying to airsprint? Lots of hiring going on.

YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

CJ3PILOT wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:46 am I have worked with airline pilots in a corporate flight department and some are really good but most should stay with the airlines.They have a hard time dealing with the passengers dealing with the FBO finding hotel rooms and doing flight planning which is all part of the job.But on the good side they know how to run a cockpit and they know procedures very well.And just a note I would any day take an airline pilot over a military pilot that is an all new ball game.
Thanks for the off topic rant.
You’re right your skills running the Marriott app, using flight planning websites and setting up FBO’s and grabbing coffee, papers and ice make you far superior to any military or airline pilots. Original poster, better stay with the airlines, god forbid you have to spend one hour total learning to all those things.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

YC87DRVR wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:54 pm
CJ3PILOT wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:46 am I have worked with airline pilots in a corporate flight department and some are really good but most should stay with the airlines.They have a hard time dealing with the passengers dealing with the FBO finding hotel rooms and doing flight planning which is all part of the job.But on the good side they know how to run a cockpit and they know procedures very well.And just a note I would any day take an airline pilot over a military pilot that is an all new ball game.
Thanks for the off topic rant.
You’re right your skills running the Marriott app, using flight planning websites and setting up FBO’s and grabbing coffee, papers and ice make you far superior to any military or airline pilots. Original poster, better stay with the airlines, god forbid you have to spend one hour total learning to all those things.
Just let it go 87, keep the original post on track.

As far as getting a look, right now you're (paconats) going to need someone to vouch for you and tell your story for you, or get ahold of one of managers in the FD, grab 'em a coffee and have a tete a tete.

I wish you all the best in your career transition, and hope you enjoy your new role.

Cheers,

S.

Paconats
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Paconats »

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NovaBoy »

We have 3 ex airline guys in our department. All are working out just great. Having a good attitude and getting along are the biggest things.

Return to “Corporate”