LASIK

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

LASIK

Post by razorblade »

I've read some of the older posts re: LASIK and I'm wondering if anyone has more recent reviews/ thoughts on the process.
Need to burn some sick time. :D
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: LASIK

Post by C-GGGQ »

Got it back in 2011, no issues. Easy process. As with most things shop around and don't cheap out when dealing with people burning off your cornea with a laser 😁

Driving Comet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Driving Comet »

I got PRK done at Bochner about 7 months ago. Really happy, the docs there have had a few people go through that needed the TC paperwork filled out and they had no problems. Took me about 45 days to get my medical back, less if you're doing LASIK and not PRK. Would recommend Bochner - not cheap but I always felt good and the doc saw me as often as I wanted to come in post-op.

As for the procedure, very quick - less than 10 minutes on the table. I was stuck in a dark room for 24 hours after, vision was slowly got better as they healed. Light sensitive for about 7-10 days. We have the smart bulbs at home so I made them all a dim red to move around. Was driving about 2 weeks after the procedure, maybe 3 weeks for night time driving. Overall really happy I did it.

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

Driving Comet wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:33 pm I got PRK done at Bochner about 7 months ago. Really happy, the docs there have had a few people go through that needed the TC paperwork filled out and they had no problems. Took me about 45 days to get my medical back, less if you're doing LASIK and not PRK. Would recommend Bochner - not cheap but I always felt good and the doc saw me as often as I wanted to come in post-op.

As for the procedure, very quick - less than 10 minutes on the table. I was stuck in a dark room for 24 hours after, vision was slowly got better as they healed. Light sensitive for about 7-10 days. We have the smart bulbs at home so I made them all a dim red to move around. Was driving about 2 weeks after the procedure, maybe 3 weeks for night time driving. Overall really happy I did it.
The recovery time is that long?!

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

PRK is an older procedure ( you eligibility for each is determined by your consultation) with a longer recovery used for more severe prescriptions I believe. I was basically good as new the day after with my waveguide (or wavefront or something ) E-Lasik which uses a laser to create the cornea flap (vs a scalpel in regular Lasik) and uses more a more precise 3 laser system to remove less tissue for the same result as Lasik. They do warn you that light sensitivity can last a few days to a week, but after a good afternoon nap in a dark basement..with sunglasses...and a blanket over my head... The light sensitivity was tolerable, and I was able to drive the next morning.

Driving Comet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Driving Comet »

razorblade wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:03 pm
Driving Comet wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:33 pm I got PRK done at Bochner about 7 months ago. Really happy, the docs there have had a few people go through that needed the TC paperwork filled out and they had no problems. Took me about 45 days to get my medical back, less if you're doing LASIK and not PRK. Would recommend Bochner - not cheap but I always felt good and the doc saw me as often as I wanted to come in post-op.

The recovery time is that long?!
With PRK they "brush" off the top layer of the cornea rather than making a flap that is pulled back. Vision only becomes clear once the cornea has grown back naturally and is smooth. Obviously this isn't a issue with LASIK. I didn't have a very strong prescription, but my cornea is apparently on the thinner side and therefore they recommended PRK. If you engage in high contact sports PRK may be recommended as well as there is a small chance the cornea flap can dislodge. The results of PRK vs LASIK are the same. In fact the laser they use is exactly the same. The difference is the method they remove the top layer of cornea to be able to laser the eye.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

I had the wavefront intralase procedure at the Yonge and Eglinton laser centre in 2011. Best money I ever spent. My eye sight has been better than 20/20 ever since, with no change. My eye sight was instantly amazing as soon as they folded the flap back over. Used drops I think for about 2 or 3 months following the procedure. I was driving my car maybe 2 or 3 days after the surgery with no issues. Took a month to get medically approved for flying.

Return to “Health & Fitness”