Anxiety

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Colester1699
Rank 0
Rank 0

Anxiety

Post by Colester1699 »

Hello guys and girls,
Just wondering if any of you have gone to the doc for anxiety in your pilot career. I have read everything about it on transport Canada’s website however I’m a little worried I won’t be able to fulfill my life long dream of being a pilot. I’ve had anxiety since I was young and am pretty much going to be on an SSRI for the rest of my life. The issue that causes my anxiety is not going to affect me in the air. As it’s more fear of health issues and hospitals and if a situation that involves either of these arises I won’t be flying anyway. If I am I am not bad enough to debilitate my ability to fly and i also have the SSRI to help. What are my chances of becoming a pilot?
---------- ADS -----------

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Anxiety

Post by KissPlusOne »

If you can pass a Cat3 medical, you can at least get your private. CPL, they might be a bit more strict for the Cat1 requirements.

However, if you want to see what it's like, just go for a few lessons, and see if it's for you. Better to test the feeling of it to see how your body/mind reacts/behaves BEFORE you invest tens of thousands of dollars into this.

You don't need a medical to take a lesson.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that SSRIs are an automatic disqualifier for a Cat 1. Not sure about Cat 3.

I know at least one person who had to go off their anti-anxiety meds and then have regular consults over the course of one year to show that their anxiety / depression was no longer present before TC would grant their medical.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

This is the wrong place to be asking the question. There is every possibility of holding a Cat 1 medical, but you can't get one here :D

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... atry-ssris

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

You may get a Class 1 with restrictions. I have lots to say on TC's medical requirements, but I cannot do it here, because, like most pilots, I am rightly paranoid of losing my own medical.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

GoinVertical wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:29 pm I could be wrong but I was under the impression that SSRIs are an automatic disqualifier for a Cat 1. Not sure about Cat 3.
This isn't correct anymore. TC does make being on SSRIs a challenge to hold a Cat 1, but it is permitted.

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

Morris20112...

You should compile all your health advice in short booklet form. I think that you will find it to be very popular if not a best seller in short order.
If you decide to take my advice, all I ask is for a very small slice of the profits from sales.

God knows I could use it...

Return to “Health & Fitness”