Allergies and class 1

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

waliduss
Rank 1
Rank 1

Allergies and class 1

Post by waliduss »

Hi everybody,

lately i've started feeling like sinusitis infection symptoms so called a doctor got a prescription, i started feeling good, couple days later symptoms were back but it was really mild, went back to my doctor and now she referred me to an allergist for further testes as she doubts i have some kind of an allergy.
now am panicking a bit about my class 1 medical.
should i contact my aviation doctor ? should i just go with over the counter medication ?what will TC do about it ? can i loose my class 1 ? will i get some restrictions on my medical ?

she prescribed: teva mometasone spray (corticoids) and Claritin pills.

thank you for reading me :)

Nb: am not flying currently.
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Allergies and class 1

Post by Cessna 180 »

Allergies are not an issue. Steroid nasal sprays and non-sedating antihistamines are generally approved (no reactine, Benadryl) if they are well tolerated.

I wouldn't fret about going to an allergist, in fact, it's a good thing. They will do a test and narrow down what causes your issues.

Allergy shots are generally approved too.

Just report any new medications next time your medical is up for renewal.

27% of Canadians have allergies, it's not uncommon at all to have them. Don't worry!

waliduss
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by waliduss »

Cessna 180 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:30 pm Allergies are not an issue. Steroid nasal sprays and non-sedating antihistamines are generally approved (no reactine, Benadryl) if they are well tolerated.

I wouldn't fret about going to an allergist, in fact, it's a good thing. They will do a test and narrow down what causes your issues.

Allergy shots are generally approved too.

Just report any new medications next time your medical is up for renewal.

27% of Canadians have allergies, it's not uncommon at all to have them. Don't worry!
thank you for your answer, it really helps a lot.

JEG
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JEG »

If it is an allergy issue for yourself, I have a class 1 medical and am allergic to a long and distinguished list of environemntal substances, some foods and am currently taking allergy shots. Effectively, any grasses, furs, pollen, some weeds and bunch others I cannot remember as well as dairy, eggs, wheat and shellfish. I also have Schatzki's ring, which is caused by the allergies, and take Pantoprozole every 3-4 days, otherwise, I start to lose the ability to swallow food. That's actually the problem that resulted in being referred to an allergist by the family doctor, after getting scoped and doing the barium swallow. I was told by a CAME that Reactine is a banned substance as a fresh start. I started taking it 20-25 years ago, long before I was a Pilot, and have had zero side effects. I have no idea how long of a time-frame they consider acceptable to determine any possible issues, but apparently most of my life was good enough. I also have an EPI-PEN that I am supposed to take with me to the allergy shots, as Anaphylaxis is a rare, but possible side effect. I have hid nothing from the doctors and TC signed off on all of it, including the Reactine, and it should all be listed in my file. I found that none of the other allergy pills worked as well for me as Reactine does. I also take Avamys and Bepreve daily. Between those 3 items, it keeps my allergies fairly well controlled. The only word of advice the CAMEs have had for any of it, is to take the Allergy shot after work, or on a day off, so as to mitigate any possible issues with reactions. As for allergy shots, they are a huge help. I am in my 2nd year of the current treatment. The first happened when I was about 13 years old and completely eliminated a number of allergies I had as a kid. I was too allergic to cotton to be able to wear jeans until I was in high school, and that allergy is entirely gone now. So far, after 1.5 years of the current treatment, I have had marked improvements in allergens when tested, and a couple have gone away entirely.

Towbar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Towbar »

When does AMRB (aviation medical review board) meet?
Just curious if anyone knows when/how often the AMRB meets to go over cases. Wondering if Covid is causing large delays
Cheers

waliduss
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by waliduss »

JEG wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:22 pm If it is an allergy issue for yourself, I have a class 1 medical and am allergic to a long and distinguished list of environemntal substances, some foods and am currently taking allergy shots. Effectively, any grasses, furs, pollen, some weeds and bunch others I cannot remember as well as dairy, eggs, wheat and shellfish. I also have Schatzki's ring, which is caused by the allergies, and take Pantoprozole every 3-4 days, otherwise, I start to lose the ability to swallow food. That's actually the problem that resulted in being referred to an allergist by the family doctor, after getting scoped and doing the barium swallow. I was told by a CAME that Reactine is a banned substance as a fresh start. I started taking it 20-25 years ago, long before I was a Pilot, and have had zero side effects. I have no idea how long of a time-frame they consider acceptable to determine any possible issues, but apparently most of my life was good enough. I also have an EPI-PEN that I am supposed to take with me to the allergy shots, as Anaphylaxis is a rare, but possible side effect. I have hid nothing from the doctors and TC signed off on all of it, including the Reactine, and it should all be listed in my file. I found that none of the other allergy pills worked as well for me as Reactine does. I also take Avamys and Bepreve daily. Between those 3 items, it keeps my allergies fairly well controlled. The only word of advice the CAMEs have had for any of it, is to take the Allergy shot after work, or on a day off, so as to mitigate any possible issues with reactions. As for allergy shots, they are a huge help. I am in my 2nd year of the current treatment. The first happened when I was about 13 years old and completely eliminated a number of allergies I had as a kid. I was too allergic to cotton to be able to wear jeans until I was in high school, and that allergy is entirely gone now. So far, after 1.5 years of the current treatment, I have had marked improvements in allergens when tested, and a couple have gone away entirely.
Thank you for this elaborate answer ! really appreciate it

Return to “Health & Fitness”