Runners/Joggers

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Runners/Joggers

Post by 5x5 »

More power to you North Shore if you manage the full Ironman. I don't do tris myself, I just bike a lot and play hockey mostly. But I have quite a number of buddies that do and many have done the Ironman. The worst thing about doing one is the preparation they say. All you have time for is training (and creating the need for massive amounts of nutrition), shopping (for groceries to satisfy the nutrition need), eating (and creating the need for more shopping), and finally sleeping. Once you mix in a bit of work here and there to pay for it all, you need about 30 hours a day. Hopefully you have a very understanding family to help you out.

I certainly admire their tenacity but can't quite come to grips from a personal viewpoint with the ultimate value proposition.
---------- ADS -----------

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
New_PIC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by New_PIC »

5x5 wrote: ... Hopefully you have a very understanding family to help you out. ...
That part is critical! The rest of your post sounds about right too.

It's addictive though. I started out with some really short sprint triathlons, all the while saying there's no way I'd go long. Step by step, the next distance was just a bit more training. I enjoyed the 1/2 iron events but, yeah, the full distance takes a whole lot of training time especially with delusions of actually racing it instead of just finishing.

North Shore: Nothing wrong with doing sprint and olympic distances. I'm sure Usain Bolt trains just as hard for 100m as the top marathon runners do for their races. Pushing too hard for an ironman distance, or for an aggressive time goal on a shorter course, before you've built up to it is a good way to get hurt. If you have the time though ... Good Luck! :)

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

I have a few friends in the states who are all over adventure racing; same deal, serious commitments. Single and airline pilot, seems to work, but as soon as a relationship enters the mix, the racing tapers off.

Just like triathlons, I can understand the appeal for those who do it, but it will never be within my ability.

Return to “Health & Fitness”