Medical Question

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Pilzio
Rank 0
Rank 0

Medical Question

Post by Pilzio »

Hey guys and gals, i have just returned home from a failed Lantern test. I am colour blind, and want to get into commercial aviation. What are my steps from here, what should I do? Should I retake the lantern test, or is there anything else i can do in order to receive my CPL?
---------- ADS -----------

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Medical Question

Post by culver10 »

Since EVERBODY these days has a smart phone in thier pocket I think it would be much safer to phone ATC in case of radio failure vs. relying on light signals? Small pocket VHF radios are cheap and very effective also. I guess the only other issue with being color blind is the airport lighting? Good luck, I feal for you.

Pilzio
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pilzio »

Hah its not a fun situation to be facing now, after dropping 20000+ on my PPL and about 20 hours of flight, its not good news in fortunately :( I wish there was something that can be done, to prove ability that I can fly, rather then the need to prove sight of colour. :( they should change it to white red and blue .... their green for that lantern is so light its easy to mistake for a white inthe dark without having your eyes adapt to the light...

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

First off, I have to ask why you didn't apply for a Cat 1 medical before starting your PPL, if you were thinking of making a career out of it?

Too late for that now, however. Two things that come to mind - one is to plead with TC, and see if you can get 'flexibility' applied under the vision requirements. The second is that I had a student who was in your situation, and he was quite happy to be restricted to day/vfr because of his colour blindness, as it meant that he could only fly floats on the coast, which was what he wanted to do in any case....

Good luck!

jump154
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jump154 »

Try the Farnsworth D15 test at your local optometrist. That's the only test I can pass every time, and is acceptable to TC.

Return to “Health & Fitness”