Anyone Interested in Mountain Biking in Calgary?

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

FlightSolutions
Rank 1
Rank 1

Anyone Interested in Mountain Biking in Calgary?

Post by FlightSolutions »

Charter flying takes a toll on your fitness, so I got back into Mountain Biking this year after a 7 year hiatus. I stopped riding after my first job due to lack of money, getting married to my beautiful wife, and having kids. Now that things are better financially and my "in" with Santa Cruz Bicycles, I can afford to do it again.

Finding it hard to find people to ride with these days and usually end up riding alone, so I am looking to hook up for rides with other pilots into MTB in the Calgary area with my skill level. I'm a BE02 pilot, 31, describe myself as an intermediate level biker, and prefer to do All Mountain/Trail type rides. Rides where the downhill is the reward for climbing. My weekends are free. I will be looking to set up rides in the Rockies every Saturday. Thinking about turning it into a team/club down the road.

PM me if interested. Here's some examples of what type of riding I do.

---------- ADS -----------

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Anyone Interested in Mountain Biking in Calgary?

Post by culver10 »

Check out http://www.calgaryoutdoorclub.com/. Good friend is very active in this club.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Hey look another hobby I've neglected since getting married.

There is a loop behind the old lower hotsprings on sulfur mountain. I might not be able to do it any more. There's a fair amount of stairs on the way up. If I can get permission I would consider showing you in person. Might be a full day just to get my mass up to the top. It would be short but potentially interesting for you. You could lap me a few times on the good part.

Do you camp with your family? I'm thinking/hoping to work some mountain biking in to our family camping since that is something my wife likes to do. Typically in K country.

Or you could come out on a Saturday if I get going a bit. I probably can't keep up but am mildly interested still. We'd feed you once we returned to the campsite.

FlightSolutions
Rank 1
Rank 1

Are you taking about Water Tower? I hit Prairie View/Jewel pass I K-Country last week scenic. Prospector in Exshaw is my favourite so far for technical rides.

When I am on call, I usually hit up Sideshow Bob at Bowmont Park as its so close to home. I try to ride 3 times a week at least, but sometimes the job doesn't allow it.

FlightSolutions
Rank 1
Rank 1

Oh, forgot to mention that post ride beers are a must.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

FlightSolutions wrote:Are you taking about Water Tower?
Nifty I did not consider there are names for the trails. I'm thinking the place I am thinking about does not have a name. There might be one of those signs there telling you not to ride your bike on the trail anymore. It has been a very long time since I was there.

If you park at the cave and basin. There is a paved trail I think it might be a loop. When I got to the farthest point on the pavement I went up on a trail. There were pretty steep stairs on many parts. Once I was as high up as the trail went there was a different way down that I rode.

I don't know if they have closed it to bikes now as I have not been there for years. It might suck compared to a proper biking trail also. At the time my brother had a job and apartment in Banff. One day I was staying with him, he went to work and I went riding around on my bike. That was the best spot around the town I randomly found.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Ok, I found "water tower" the trail. http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/acti ... iking.aspx
It's not the place I was blabbing about.

I also found a video that did not seem to match the warning about "sideshow bob."
http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Side-Sho ... ry-AB-3355

FlightSolutions
Rank 1
Rank 1

Beefitarian wrote:I also found a video that did not seem to match the warning about "sideshow bob."
http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Side-Sho ... ry-AB-3355
The lycra wearing XC death sausages think Sideshow is crazy. Its not that hard.

The last video I posted is Sideshow and Bowmont park

List of legal trails in the area:
http://www.bikepirate.com/trail-report/

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Join up with MTB Trail Reports: Calgary Area Mountain Bikers, and Bow Valley Fat-Bike Riders on Facebook if you are interested in trail reports. Calgary Cycle has at least one ride a week that they host, there are a few other clubs around. I've been mountain biking since the mid 90's, I think I know 3 pilots total who ride. I ride solo most of the time just because of the time constraints but we ride some of the same stuff.

The trail development over the past few season is unbelievable. WBC has seen the most growth in it's trail network, and with Fat Bikes you don't have to stop riding in the winter. If you have the time to ride Fernie, they are quickly becoming a mountain bike town with a ski hill for the off season instead of the other way around.

PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

Are you still out there? still give’en Er? We should put together a pilots day of riding! Nothing like a good day of riding AND talking about flying!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Seven years later, I'm still riding a couch more than my poor abandoned Kona I used to ride often last century. I never even went to Sideshow Bob or got ahold of FlightSolutions whose location says Vancouver now. :(

Abark
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Abark »

hey, I used to Mountain bike with the OP but he moved. I'm still in Calgary and bike often, PM me

Return to “Health & Fitness”