How sick is TOO sick to fly?

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

How sick is TOO sick to fly?

Post by currysonic »

Hi everyone, I've been suffering from strep throat followed by a 3 week long cough, and occasional soar throat... also my tonsil don't hurt, but look like this; http://imgur.com/ApINgnc (VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK!)

Now I feel fine enough to fly, just that I have this cough. Later I learned I gave 2 of my friends strep throat! Also, just recently my declining symptoms turned worse instead of continuing to get better.

I'm not in career flying phase yet, but I just wanted to ask "How sick is TOO sick to fly?".

I mean when I am sick like I am now, who would believe I was sick for 3 weeks (Finally going to see a doctor 2 days from now!)? And also my body feels fine, just that I have a cough, so would it be irresponsible to jump in an airplane? Would it be irresponsible to risk getting crewmates sick? If I was working now, how would being sick for 3 weeks effect your paycheck? Would I have to see a CAME or regular doctor to get proof that I am sick and unable to fly?

Thanks everyone!
---------- ADS -----------

BKerns
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How sick is TOO sick to fly?

Post by BKerns »

At my first aviation job interview I said I was reliable, maybe only called in sick once or twice at a previous job. The Champ looked at me and said "I've never been sick" then looked at the dispatcher and said "Shes been here for five years, she's never been sick have you?"

:lol:

Fake it till you make it.
single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

In a typical CAR 703 operation, the effect on your income after being grounded for 3 weeks will be predictable .... you don't work, you don't get paid. Generally, you getting sick is looked upon as something you did on purpose simply to screw the Ops Mgr over and cause bedlam in the organization.

Anything more than 2 or 3 days is the equivalent of taking an axe to the company's pride and joy aircraft.

Those tonsils sure look painful though ....... better get 'em yanked out as a precaution against them flaring up again during a max revenue push and causing the company to go into bankruptcy due to your physical frailty.

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

I would be pretty pissed at you for showing up to work and giving me Strep throat. You shouldn't be attending work with a contagious illness.

Strep throat is one where you have to get cleared by an aviation medical examiner before resuming flights. You should be off, if your work isn't going to cover your pay, short term disability.

currysonic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by currysonic »

BKerns wrote:At my first aviation job interview I said I was reliable, maybe only called in sick once or twice at a previous job. The Champ looked at me and said "I've never been sick" then looked at the dispatcher and said "Shes been here for five years, she's never been sick have you?"

:lol:
This is the first time I was debilitation sick for 2 years ahaha.... but damn 5 years?! I really wish I had her immune system. :prayer:

cbty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cbty »

It is a person question, someone would consider to be sick to face a headache . Someone else would consider to have a broken finger nothing important and to be perfectly fit to fly.

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

single_swine_herder wrote: Generally, you getting sick is looked upon as something you did on purpose simply to screw the Ops Mgr over and cause bedlam in the organization.
I know that every one of my pilots who calls in sick just wants to raise my blood pressure! What's that? You can't work because you hurt yourself loading the aircraft? That is the worst thing you ever said to me!! You might as well chop up my favourite aeroplane; it's just going to be sitting on the ground losing money, because I don't have a crew to fill it now!

I am pretty sure that these kind of scenarios should have been on the OMTAX exam!

[/threadjack]

highflyer88
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by highflyer88 »

It can be hard to know when to fly. If you don't feel too sick, you may feel like you can. but if you are contagious and are going to get others sick, then it might not really be worth it.

eggy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by eggy »

I simulate myself in the worst possible scenario, and then ask, would I be able to perform at my highest level, make good decisions, and fly the airplane to my fullest extent?

If it's a no then I stay on the ground.

Not getting your co workers sick is also something to keep in mind.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Unless it's going to cause permanent for me to fly, or I can't stop barfing or otherwise, I fly.

Since I got my CPL years ago, I can't recall a time I called in off my head.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

If I can't control when and how fluids are exiting my body, I stop flying.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

LOL...
giphy (2).gif
giphy (2).gif (489.42 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
2 tbsp is 30ml.

Last edited by altiplano on Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

I love it when guys show up sneezing and obviously sick then brag how little sick days they use.

I love catching their colds.

Be a grown up. If you’re sick. Book off.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

These new spambots are kind of interesting. They necro bump old threads with near relevant comments cut and pasted from the forums they join. It's hilarious to read sometimes. This one copied a couple of posts signed off by different people.

AvCanada Joe.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Barrypen

Interests:
Auto racing, motorcross

Clerical, administrative

I noticed the thread from the deep past, quick look at his posts and saw one post offering condolences to a down aviator he knew... figured whoever was just fucking around on this thread.

If bots are dragging up old threads about those flown West that's pretty sick. I hope avcan crushes these things out of here...

And if you're sick, you're too sick to fly, stay home and keep it off the flight deck so the rest of us don't have to deal with it.

Return to “Health & Fitness”