Nasal sugery

Read and post topics related to aviation medicals, health and fitness in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Johhnycumlately
Rank 0
Rank 0

Nasal sugery

Post by Johhnycumlately »

A few years ago I damaged the bridge of my nose and had it rebuilt and ENT surgeon who used a Gore-Tex implant. My nose looks like it did before, and it has had no effect on my breathing. Does anyone know if a Gore-Tex nasal implant can cause problems for a Cat 1 medical?

---------- ADS -----------

cbty
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Nasal sugery

Post by cbty »

No, especially if you do not mention during a medical check. If it doesn't create any problem during breathing and nobody notice it , it is more than fine.

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Nasal sugery

Post by makmoco »

TC information below:

"Nose and Throat - The examination should be directed to the presence of any condition which would impair respiratory functions or pressure equalization during flight"
"NOSE AND THROAT– The examination should be directed to the presence of any condition which would impair respiratory functions or pressure equalization during flight."

ICAO information:

"6.3.2.26 There shall be:
a) no nasal obstruction; and
b) no malformation nor any disease of the buccal cavity or upper respiratory tract"

Manual of Civil Aviation Medicine:

"The integrity of the lacrimal drainage system should be ascertained, especially if there is a
history of nasal or other facial fractures"
&
"12.13 NOSE AND PARANASAL SINUSES
Nose - 12.13.1 It is important for a pilot to have a normal-functioning nose. Impairment of the sense of smell may cause the
first faint odour of gas, oil or smoke to go unnoticed. A malfunctioning nose can cause serious problems in regard to
aeration of the sinuses and the Eustachian tube with resultant middle ear pathology.
12.13.2 A careful examination of the nose can and should be done. In some cases, where the mucosa of the septum
and the turbinates are swollen, it is impossible to examine it carefully unless a shrinking agent, such as neosynephrine or
xylometazolin solution is used. Most examinees do not object to a flat pledget of cotton (soaked) placed in each nostril."

I guess as long as it does not blocks and/or affect your vestibular, sinuses, visual areas it should not be an issue. However, I would still give it a read and check with a professional.

Return to “Health & Fitness”