N100EQ fatal Phenom 100 crash Dec 8 2014 Maryland

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

N100EQ fatal Phenom 100 crash Dec 8 2014 Maryland

Post by bizjets101 »

N100EQ Phenom 100 on approach to Gaithersburg-Montgomery County Airport, Maryland - arriving aircraft reported an unusual amount of birds on approach - Liveatc recording here; soundcloud.

Aircraft hit a house - 3 person on board fatal, unknown if anyone on the ground hurt?
Unconfirmed but press reporting 3 more victims in the home.

photo Mike Barker
---------- ADS -----------

Johnny#5
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: N100EQ fatal Phenom 100 crash Dec 8 2014 Maryland

Post by Johnny#5 »

Wow, brutal. Everything sounded fine on radio right up to crash...

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Why are bizjets so dangerous these days?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Heliian wrote:Why are bizjets so dangerous these days?

They aren't

That audio is difficult to listen too though. 3 people in the house confirmed killed also...sad day!!

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Exactly what cdn said.

I've flown the 100. It's a great little machine. That said, it is an "entry level" VLJ for someone wanting to move up from their Cheyenne. It requires attention to limitations (like pretty much any aircraft).

How about we wait for some info on WHY before the knee-jerk comments? :D

Last edited by Flybabe on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

They can be. The owner of the particular aircraft was I hate to say another Doctor who ran his own company, was wealthy and liked the "fast movers" He smashed up a single engine turbine type in 2010 at same airport(media reports). These aircraft types(Phenom) attract the doctors, lawyers, business people who feel themselves adapt in the high level environment but their success rate is certainly questionable with the number of holes in the ground as of late.........
:!: :!:

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

That's the operator making any airplane they fly more dangerous, not the airplanes themselves being more dangerous.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

I cant make out if that is the accident aircraft asking for a cannon to remove the unusual amount of birds? If so, I`d hold off on blaming this on a pilot flying an aircraft over his head.

My condolences to the family and friends of those lost.
Tragic!!

Fly safe all.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

A mom holding her 2 small children killed in the home, terrible..

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mom-died-holdi ... d=27469162

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Looks like the incompetent pilot f&*#ed up again:

http://aviationweek.com/blog/ntsb-stall ... -100-crash

Also, the housing development where it crashed is 1 mile along the extended centreline:

http://airnation.net/hangar/threads/phe ... nin.15956/

There's always a risk of this happening if your house is right underneath short final, as some apartment owners near YVR discovered a few years ago.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Reading the aviation week account -- sounds to me something like autopilot engaged and forgetting about thrust levers -- watched it happen and almost killed when I was a passenger -- lucky I was able to see the airspeed from my seat in the back and yell at the pilots -- it was all because of work load --

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
JDW
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by JDW »

Just had to point this out from avweb "The pilot of the jet, who has been identified in news reports as Dr. Michael Rosenberg, 66, of Durham, N.C., held ATP and CFI ratings, with about 4,500 hours logged. He was type-rated in the Phenom and held a current medical" Im not saying the guy was Bob Hoover but might be more to this than inexperience

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

but might be more to this than inexperience
read the article from above link from aviation week -- has the markings of the "professional" syndrome

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

It actually sounds very similar to the Colgan accident, and that guy had 3379 hours. I suspect that failing a bunch of checkrides says more about your piloting skills than the number of hours you've accumulated. (I'm not sure if that is the case here).

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

The pilot was a 4500 hour guy who had trashed a TBM 700 at the same airport that the Phenom he crashed...

NTSB: Stall Warning Sounded Before Phenom 100 Crash

http://aviationweek.com/blog/ntsb-stall ... ldname--id~~

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Old fella wrote:
They can be. The owner of the particular aircraft was I hate to say another Doctor who ran his own company, was wealthy and liked the "fast movers" He smashed up a single engine turbine type in 2010 at same airport(media reports). These aircraft types(Phenom) attract the doctors, lawyers, business people who feel themselves adapt in the high level environment but their success rate is certainly questionable with the number of holes in the ground as of late.........
:!: :!:
The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), pointing to a failure to turn on the de-ice system in the December 2014 crash of an Embraer Phenom 100, is recommending that the FAA and industry groups work together to develop a system to alert pilots when ice protection systems should be activated and to develop improved training guidelines for winter weather operations.

The Safety Board, which met June 7 to discuss the crash, determined that the probable cause of the Dec. 8, 2014, Phenom crash in Gaithersburg, Md., was “the pilot’s conduct of an approach in structural icing conditions without turning on the airplane’s wing and horizontal stabilizer de-ice system, leading to ice accumulation on those surfaces.” The NTSB also cited the pilot's failure to use appropriate landing performance speeds for the weather conditions and airplane weight.

“Pilots must rely on checklists and procedures because relying only on memory can have deadly results,’’ said NTSB chairman Christopher Hart. “The pilot’s failure to turn on the de-icing system in an icing situation proved to be disastrous.”

The Phenom, N100EQ, crashed on approach to Runway 14 at Montgomery County Airpark (GAI) in Gaithersburg. Operated by Sage Aviation, the aircraft ran into three houses about three-quarters of a mile from the approach end of the runway, killing the pilot, two passengers and three people in the houses.

Data from the airplane’s cockpit voice and data recorder indicated that 15 minutes after taking off from Horace Williams Airport in Chapel Hill, N.C., the pilot turned on the aircraft’s engine anti-ice and de-ice systems manually for about two minutes, but then manually turned those systems off.

About six minutes later, the pilot received a transmission from the automated weather observing system at GAI that the NTSB said contained “sufficient information to indicate that conditions were conducive to icing during the approach to GAI.” However, the CVDR did not record any further activity involving either ice protection systems, “indicating the pilot did not turn the system back on,” the agency said.

The Phenom 100 Pilot Operating Handbook calls for the pilot to perform a descent checklist before descending through 10,000 feet. For operating in normal icing conditions, the checklist would have included turning on the ice protection systems. But before beginning descent, the pilot set the landing reference speed at 92, indicating that he used performance data for operating with the ice protection systems turned off and for an airplane landing weight less than the aircraft’s actual weight.

“Based on available evidence, the NTSB could not determine why the pilot did not turn on the wing and horizontal stabilizer de-ice system during the approach to GAI,” the Safety Board said, noting the pilot’s instructors reported that use of both ice protection systems was covered during initial and refresher training.

The NTSB, looking at multiple scenarios, said it believes that pilots involved in single-pilot operations would benefit from an automatic alerting system when ice protection systems should be activated. The agency further believes that pilots would benefit from training beyond that required for a check ride.

The Board called on the FAA to work with the General Aviation Manufacturers Association (GAMA) to develop such an automatic alerting system for aircraft that require a type rating and are certified for single-pilot operations and flight in icing conditions. A similar recommendation was issued to GAMA to work with the FAA on the system.

Noting that “significant work” has taken place over the past decade to mitigate icing risks, GAMA president and CEO Pete Bunce said that ongoing work will include a review of the recommendations. Bunce added that efforts to get such new safety technologies into aircraft will be advanced by the Part 23 rewrite and the associated F44 general aviation ASTM standards committee. “The new Part 23 framework lends itself to taking safety actions in a more timely and efficient manner to enable the fielding of new technologies in new and legacy fleet aircraft that will enhance aviation safety, including for icing conditions,” he said.

In addition to the alerting system, the Safety Board also focused on training. The NTSB recommended that NBAA work with members to develop enhanced pilot training guidelines on risk management in winter weather operations and on the adherence to checklists.

“This crash demonstrates the importance of training, proficiency and professionalism for all pilots, professionals and non-professionals alike,” Hart said. “General aviation pilots must take every precaution to prevent accidents. Their calculations must be as precise as possible, and they must follow required procedures applicable to their aircraft. Pilots can never safely skip a checklist or cut a corner, even once—because any flight can turn deadly.”

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”