Fuel leak emergency-safe landing but still burned out

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Fuel leak emergency-safe landing but still burned out

Post by pelmet »

"On May 25, 2013, a privately operated, float-equipped Cessna 185E was on a flight from the Fort McMurray Water Aerodrome (CES7), Alta., to Fort Nelson (CYYE), B.C. After approximately 1 hr of flight, the pilot observed that the fuel flow meter value was dropping off. The fuel mixture control was advanced to rich, but the fuel flow meter continued to register a drop in fuel flow. A backup fuel flow meter indicated a positive fuel flow and the engine continued to run. At this time, the pilot observed fuel dripping into the cabin from behind the dash. The pilot elected to conduct a precautionary landing onto Wadlin Lake (35 NM SE of La Crête, Alta.). After the water landing, the engine quit. As the aircraft was some distance from shore, an attempt was made to restart the engine in order to taxi to shore. However, upon starting, the fuel fumes in the cabin ignited and engulfed the aircraft in flames. The pilot was able to evacuate the aircraft with a life jacket and was subsequently rescued by a boater. TSB File A13W0066."

In this case, it was the fumes in the cabin that ignited. Just shows what can happen
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Fuel leak emergency-safe landing but still burned out

Post by photofly »

At this time, the pilot observed fuel dripping into the cabin from behind the dash. ... an attempt was made to restart the engine in order to taxi to shore.
I'm glad the pilot was ok but this sounds like an entry for the Darwin Award to me.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bigsky »

I once had fuel leaking in the cockpit in a C185 in flight. The outside braid on the cold air vent control wire had chaffed through the fuel flow gauge pressure line. My indication was the fuel smell then a small drip above the pax legs.
I landed enroute, made an emergencey repair and continued on to my destination. This was back in 1986.
I guess I should have made some sort of report as it sounds like the exact same thing happened to this guy.

There is no substitute for BIG JUGS!!
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Here is another example of a safe landing followed by burnt aircraft on engine start. Obviously it has happened more than once and is something to think about. This is an open cockpit biplane.

"One day in the summer of 1959 my father was out enjoying a local flight from Norwood Airport in eastern Massachusetts. Over Wareham the fuel tank (mounted in the upper wing) decided to split along a seam, dumping gallons of AvGas into my father’s lap. He immediately killed the engine and looked for a landing spot. Miraculously, he was almost directly over the old Wareham Airport, which was closed permanently. It had been turned into a Grossman’s Lumber Yard but the hangars and runway were still quite useable.
My father slipped and made for the approach end of the nearby runway. Apparently there was some kind of lumber show that day as there was a big tent erected in the overrun. On short final the main gear grazed this tent. It wasn’t knocked down or anything, but my father recalled that people came out of it like ants! After he brought the plane to a stop, my father jumped out. People were running over to help, but one of them had a cigar in his mouth. Needless to say my father warned them all off, especially Mr. Cigar!

The lumber yard owner asked my father what help he would need. He asked the owner if he could keep the plane there for a few days while he found a way to make repairs. The yard owner happily agreed and asked if the plane could be pushed over to the tent and near the road so as to bring in more business. My father agreed, of course.

A few days later, on a hot, windless summer day, my father returned to the old airport with some liquid steel and about 15 gallons of gasoline. He repaired the split seam as best he could and poured the fuel into the tank. During the process he managed to get some gas onto his gloves. And a little gasoline, as we all know, smells just like a lot of gasoline. He was dressed in full leathers, helmet, scarf, goggles, gloves, boots-the works. The plane was fueled and ready to go. It was fueled alright. Very fueled. What my father did not know was that the fuel that dumped into his lap days before was still pooled in the tail of this tail-dragger. The hot temperature and no-wind condition combined to surround the plane in a cloud of fuel vapor. My father smelled it of course, but thought he was smelling the fuel that had spilled onto his gloves. Well, when he hit the starter….WOOF! I don’t know if he jumped out, or was blown out, but out he was, standing there, watching while the plane was consumed. His lower face was slightly singed. It was the only part of his body that wasn’t covered."

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Austin lost a 748 at Moosonee, I think it was, on a fuel haul. They were carrying fuel in bladders and one leaked into the electronics bay overnight. The next morning on startup when they turned on the inverters it blew. Jerry Deluce was co-pilot and he told me "I exited the aircraft in the prescribed manner, via the DV window and the rope, but the Captain, the uncouth bastard, was blown across the ramp with the DV window frame around his neck." :D

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I wonder if this incident is similar with a fuel leak being the source of the problem.

"The privately operated Grumman G-73 Mallard, N54GZ, was operating from Victoria, BC (CYYJ) to
Red Bluff Lake on Pitt Island, BC (12 WNW of Hartley Bay, BC, CAY4) with a pilot and one
passenger on board. After landing on the lake, the aircraft’s right engine (PW R1340) quit during
water taxi. Following restart attempts, the right engine caught fire. Both engine fire extinguishers
were discharged in an attempt to put the fire out. The fire persisted and an additional 2 portable
extinguishers were discharged by the pilot onto the engine. Eventually, all signs of fire were
eliminated through the use of a gas operated water pump deployed from a small boat to apply lake
water onto the aircraft. The cause of the fire is being investigated by the aircraft owner."

Vern
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vern »

I was flying a 185 on floats a few years ago and noticed the fuel flow gauge started filling up with gas. I headed back to the base and when the gauge filled up I had gas dripping from the panel onto the floor. After the flight I got called a "pussy" by management for not completing the trip, so I quit. No regrets at all. Till now I hadn't heard of something similar happening to someone else.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Unfortunatly this is something not totally unheard of. I smelled a gas smell in a Navajo. All the regular pilots who flew the airplane never gave it much thought but I complained and mechanics found a fuel line to the fuel pressure gauge cracked due to age and vibration.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Happened to me going from Sullivan Bay to Bella Coola, 185 floats. Smelled fuel, my passenger was smoking. Extinguished cigarette, fuel running down my legs, pulled mixture and dead-sticked into Owikeno Lake. Paddled ashore to the sound of banjo music at Owikeno Lake Logging, where a thoroughly bushed Cat mechanic built a new end for the fuel flow gauge pipe and we continued on our merry way, full of coffee and pie, virtue intact.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I had one too, though it was oil, rather than gas. It was one of my first times flying a 185 amphib. I'd just taken off from Maple, and was climbing out. It was a very hot summer day, and we'd been flying already, so the engine, and oil were well hot. Suddenly I heard a shriek from the owner, who was sitting right seat and wearing shorts. Hot black oil was spraying all over his legs, as he rolled his seat back as far as he could very quickly. "Get this thing back on the ground fast!" he screamed. I did.

Broken oil pressure line.

You may find gasoline in the line to the fuel pressure/flow instrument, but if you've got it visible in the instrument itself, the bourden tube is broken. It will continue leaking, and drip onto the floor, so get the plane on the ground without delay, and for sure, prevent sources of ignition!

karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

Flying to Oliver, seam on the fuel tank above my knees started dripping fuel. Landed and found a bar of soap in the washroom there. Ran the bar of soap up and down the seam until the drip stopped (gasoline and soap turn to kind of a jelly). Remembered that trick from a John Steinbeck novel. Then refueled and flew back to the coast where I removed the tank and got it welded proper.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0908.JPG (89.4 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
pelmet wrote:I wonder if this incident is similar with a fuel leak being the source of the problem.

"The privately operated Grumman G-73 Mallard, N54GZ, was operating from Victoria, BC (CYYJ) to
Red Bluff Lake on Pitt Island, BC (12 WNW of Hartley Bay, BC, CAY4) with a pilot and one
passenger on board. After landing on the lake, the aircraft’s right engine (PW R1340) quit during
water taxi. Following restart attempts, the right engine caught fire. Both engine fire extinguishers
were discharged in an attempt to put the fire out. The fire persisted and an additional 2 portable
extinguishers were discharged by the pilot onto the engine. Eventually, all signs of fire were
eliminated through the use of a gas operated water pump deployed from a small boat to apply lake
water onto the aircraft. The cause of the fire is being investigated by the aircraft owner."
Here is the Mallard being slung out by a Sikorsky Skycrane and then on the barge in Grenville Channel heading south.

AP

Attachments
IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG (73.7 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Antique Pilot wrote:Here is the Mallard being slung out by a Sikorsky Skycrane and then on the barge in Grenville Channel heading south.
Wow... Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new Mallard? :shock:

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

The owner (or insurance company) will have been compelled to spend money retrieving it, regardless. So, it might as well come out in a repairable condition, if feasible.

Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 86583 »

not to nit pic AP but the picture on the barge is headed to rupert, not victoria..

Bernie

Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 86583 »

AirFrame wrote:
Antique Pilot wrote:Here is the Mallard being slung out by a Sikorsky Skycrane and then on the barge in Grenville Channel heading south.
Wow... Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new Mallard? :shock:
considering only 59 were built and there's only about a half dozen piston mallards left flying in the world..

there is no such thing as a "new one" and if you can find one of the half dozen flying you'll see theres a substantial price tag

Bernie

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Time for someone to offer for sale a fuel flow transducer that transmits to the gauge from where fuel belongs: the other side of the firewall!

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Meatservo wrote:Time for someone to offer for sale a fuel flow transducer that transmits to the gauge from where fuel belongs: the other side of the firewall!
Is this a little hint as to what might have been involved in the fire. I know that some style of guages such as oil pressure are designed so that it actually has the hot oil going to the guage which is in the cockpit. No difficulties with electrical problems that can happen with transducers but a risk to the pilot if the guage or line breaks.

Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

86583 wrote:not to nit pic AP but the picture on the barge is headed to rupert, not victoria..

Bernie
Well that explains why I never mastered the Astro Compass.

AP

Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 86583 »

pelmet wrote:
Meatservo wrote:Time for someone to offer for sale a fuel flow transducer that transmits to the gauge from where fuel belongs: the other side of the firewall!
Is this a little hint as to what might have been involved in the fire. I know that some style of guages such as oil pressure are designed so that it actually has the hot oil going to the guage which is in the cockpit. No difficulties with electrical problems that can happen with transducers but a risk to the pilot if the guage or line breaks.
the fire was attributed to an internal failure in the carb... fuel pooled inside the cowl and then the hot engine ignited it..

it's the only time my wife didn't argue when I said "go jump in the lake"

Bernie

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”