Aircraft on Lake by Kasabonika

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Aircraft on Lake by Kasabonika

Post by JasonE »

UPDATE: Aviation Incident Report#13798: Oil leaking from the propeller area coupled with rapid loss of oil pressure resulted in the pilot declaring a MAYDAY and conducing a precautionary landing on a lake approximately 7.5 NM SW of Kasabonika, ON (CYAQ). Pilot immediately notified Flight Following via cell phone. Emergency Response procedures initiated. Flight information centre (FIC) and Trenton search and rescue (SAR) were contacted. Kasabonika First Nation contacted to organize pilot extraction plan. Pilot extracted by snow machine. Pilot did not sustain any injuries as a result of the landing or exposure to the elements. The aircraft did not sustain any structural damage. No environmental or property damage. Operational impact: none.
---------- ADS -----------

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
MIQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MIQ »

Good on the pilot for not trying to drag it to the airport for another 7.5nm. Could have ended differently when the precautionary turns into a forced out there.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote:Locals on a sled isn't what we pay for, is it? I don't think I would be very pleased if I were the pilot, when there was a much faster means of rescue that wasn't used.
If I'm ever missing, the is no one that I'd rather want looking for me than the natives. They know their land better than any one and have terrific bush sense. They also never seem to mind getting the job done themselves as opposed to waiting for some one else to do it.

Can't argue with someone jumping out of a plane either though. ..

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

Bede wrote:
Redneck_pilot86 wrote:Locals on a sled isn't what we pay for, is it? I don't think I would be very pleased if I were the pilot, when there was a much faster means of rescue that wasn't used.
If I'm ever missing, the is no one that I'd rather want looking for me than the natives. They know their land better than any one and have terrific bush sense. They also never seem to mind getting the job done themselves as opposed to waiting for some one else to do it.

EDITED

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Why don't you let everyone else find out about the stereotypes for themselves? Most of us know them very well... and don't need you to point them out to us. :smt014

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Can't wait for the whole sled story to come out, ... the time of call and what was involved to prepare on short notice for this particular rescue. Was it the first time ? Do they even practice emergency response ?

Whatever the difficulty was that prevented getting to the suddenly-stranded pilot sooner hasn't really been heard yet. In a sense it's too bad the pilot is quoted as saying "took 10 hours" (meaning 'not satisfied with the service'). The pilot moigth not even mean it to come out like that on record (instead of commending them for their efforts) but probably just couldn't help it after the super cold sled-ride following the long wait.

The helpers still need to hear 'thanks for coming' from this pilot. So it turns out to be 'more difficult than expected'; yet for these rescuers it may have been the first time, seeing such emergency is still the rare ocurrance for most communities. Having done a real live practice drill helps to be ready for the next time.

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

I would still never trust or use this "operation"

SherpaT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SherpaT »

PRX is on the apron at YQT doesn't look to be damaged.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Crazy! Not as crazy as a system that allows a few kids to start an air service and tell the world they are "working to reinvent aviation" So which Daddy has money?

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

It was a mechanical problem that forced the plane down. Pretty new plane too. It was back in the air 2 days later.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

"working to reinvent aviation"
If I had a dollar for every time I heard that phrase.... I'd probably have enough cash to stay afloat for five years! :lol:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Bede wrote:

Can't argue with someone jumping out of a plane either though. ..
I'm not saying that I don't want the natives coming for me...I want everyone coming for me. Here is a hypothetical situation that is quite plausible:

This airplane is going down on a lake "7 Miles SW of Kasabonika". This is hardly a precise position..is it a GPS distance? A pilots best guess? only 5 miles? 10? Statute? Nautical? 200 degrees or 250 degrees? If the only people coming for you are a bunch of locals on their sleds, and they get to where they thought you were going down and you aren't there, then what? It is going to take hours or days to search all the areas that fit that description, whereas a local helicopter tasked to the rescue can cover it in minutes, and quite possibly talk to the pilot on the way in, who can direct the helicopter right to him.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

http://flykasper.com/

Their ops manager is giving the peace gesture on their company website.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Lets face it -- bush flying for the most part is gone - back in the day where maps were used - no radios except maybe an HF aircraft left base and were a lot more self sufficient - survival gear - 5 star sleeping bags - likely a rifle - snow shoes - engine tent and blow pots -- and most importantly dressed for the conditions - frozen oil coolers - prop seals - frozen breather lines -- all dealt with and if you needed to land and throw the engine tent on -- you did so - having said that all the aircraft were "winterized" based on years of experience dealing with the conditions -- and god forbid you flew on straight wheels unless it was in the spring off of glare ice for change over -- fast forward to the present day - it's for the most part strip to strip and survival gear is pre-packaged kit to fill the reg requirements only and not offer good practical gear -- in this day and age I would even be carrying a light weight battery chain saw -- they are amazing --

There is a big push for egress training for the float guys -- well maybe the same emphasis should be put on winter survival with a "hands on" course as well - "bush sense" is not a bad thing even in the summer months ---

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
bobo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bobo »

Liquid Charlie-You are right on in your comparison of the old days to now. Back in the 60s-70s, when I was flying in NWO we would not have ever left on a trip without making sure we had the correct survival gear on board. And map reading all the time we would have known exactly where we were when we had a problem like this and would have been able to give a description of where we were over the radio (HF) so that we could have been found quickly.

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

tbayav8er wrote:http://flykasper.com/

Their ops manager is giving the peace gesture on their company website.

A sign of peace , professionalism? What are you getting at?

Have any of you had the pleasure of meeting their "CEO" ?

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

"Have any of you had the pleasure of meeting their "CEO" ?

Perhaps when he works a bit more in the industry, he will bump into a few more folks?

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

I could go the rest of my life absent that experience

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

I don't understand why you guys are jumping all over these kids. Maybe you have info that I don't but how old was Max Ward when he started his air service? Early 20's?

I say good on these guys for having entrepreneurial spirit. They had an oil problem, who knows why, maybe they had no business flying in that cold. I just don't think the bashing of this company is justified...

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

It's easy to bash people from anonymity Duffman, just consider the source.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”