Aircraft on Lake by Kasabonika

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

flatlander
Rank 0
Rank 0

Aircraft on Lake by Kasabonika

Post by flatlander »

Was talking with a friend back in Pickle and he was telling me about an aircraft that made an emergency landing on a lake by Kasabonika the other day. Said the pilot had to wait like 10 hours on the ice in minus 30 before some people showed up on skidoos to get him. So, like why would Search and Rescue not been there sooner?
---------- ADS -----------

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Aircraft on Lake by Kasabonika

Post by Blakey »

Is it a 206?

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

How accurate was his flight plan? How reliable was his responsible person? What signalling devices did he use to summon help?

This is all stuff you should think about when going flying. One guy I knew who crashed here wasn't reported missing until the next day... didn't make a difference in the end, but it might very well have.

Also consider weather and terrain... sometimes even when everyone has been alerted right away.. it can take a long time to reach you. Scouts' motto: Be prepared.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Top_Gun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Top_Gun »

Occurrence Summary
Date Entered:2015-02-09
Narrative:
A Kasper Aviation Gippsaero GA8-TC 320 (C-FPRX), a VFR aircraft with no known flight plan on file, was heard by an overflying aircraft declaring MAYDAY. It was reported that the aircraft landed safely on a pond approximately 7 miles southwest of Kasabonika, ON (CYAQ) due to engine problems resulting from a loss of oil pressure.
O.P.I.: Further Action Required:No

MIQ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MIQ »

I don't understand why you wouldn't file a VFR flight plan when flying a single engine piston in these areas of the country? I know it can be 'annoying' but it literally takes no more than 5 minutes and can save your life one day. I understand if you don't want to file one for a 45 minute flight from Ottawa to Montreal, but in those areas especially in winter? I'm glad they got to him. -30°C on a lake gets cold after half an hour, don't want to imagine what 10 hours are like.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

no one will come looking for you if no one knows you're gone. I can see this pilot investing in some gear next time.

tractor driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tractor driver »

I was wondering how long the story would take to reach this forum. Our pilot relayed the mayday, and that the occurance pilot was safely on the ground immediately as it happened. Even then, a great deal of time went by in extreme cold before ground resources were able to effect rescue. As mentioned previously, being prepared is essential.

g

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I cant help but feel that a helicopter out of Pickle could have got there faster.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
flatlander
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flatlander »

But, are Seach & Rescue not mandated to be dispatched to the site of an emergency landing in the middle of winter regardless if some skidoos are trying to reach the site? What would happen if the skidoos could not make it and the pilot froze his feet? Who would be liable?

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

If you were to freeze your feet, then hard cheddar. the onus is on you, the PIC, to make sure that you are prepared for the flight. It is conceivable that, with an engine failure in the middle of winter, you might spend a few hours by yourself, especially in somewhere as remote as Kas..
I would expect that the conversation in the Rescue Centre went along the lines of: 'Aeroplane down near Kasabonika, pilot is uninjured. Ok, lets 'phone the locals in Kas, and see if they can get him by sled - if not, we'll launch..'

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

That seems to be putting a lot of reliance in some random guy off the street. At least by chartering a local helicopter there is comms should anything change. Locals on a sled isn't what we pay for, is it? I don't think I would be very pleased if I were the pilot, when there was a much faster means of rescue that wasn't used. I don't feel the herc needs to be launched for every incident, but just because the pilot was ok immedietely after the crash (most likely reporting this while still in shock) does not mean he is ok to wait for a sled to break trail for 7 miles. Had he froze to death in the meantime, everyone on this thread would be asking why proper SAR wasn't used. Yet because it worked out in this instance, it is suddenly ok?

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Seven miles is close. Underestimating the time/effort for breaking new trail sounds reasonable though ...for the amount of fresh snow Ontario has received lately.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Welcome to canada where search and rescue bases are so far away it would take a long time to get anyone out. Sadly as well trained and professional our search and rescue guys are the bases are in places they shouldn't be. When was the last time they needed to rescue someone in southern Ontario? Or just outside of winnipeg? We should have bases in places a bit closer to where people are actually flying in remote places.

Gravol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gravol »

This incident is of no surprise and is quite regrettable. Good to hear it all ended well. What if this was towards the beginning of summer? Might have been a very different result.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

SAR response time in Canada is a large issue -- The Herc at Alert was a prime example -- aircraft were ready and offered at the time from YRB but were turned down because of military response with helicopters out of Thule and not wanting to use civilian aircraft -- everyone knew the wx was closing in -- it was a very sad ending for the reluctance to use all available resources --

The Kas thing -- from what I heard he was ill prepared for camping out -- WTF -- even at 30 below you should not be that uncomfortable if you are healthy and prepared -- the other thing -- why didn't his company get off their ass and mount a rescue as well -- a simple call to ZRJ likely could of had a 185 there in short order -- even with a single aircraft operation they need some kind of flight watch system -- it's part of their COM -- how very fortunate this turned out well

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
Kzanol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kzanol »

One thing that is getting over looked here is the fact that the overnight low in Big Trout was -39. This incident happened in the morning in which temps could not have been much more than -36/-37 at best. Why is someone operating a piston engine airplane from Austrailia in these temperatures. Even if they had made a oil cooler plate it was probably way too cold for the engine/cowl setup. Easily could have been as simple as power reduced to approach, valve closed to the cooler, cooler froze, engine starts to overheat and then lose oil pressure. The whole incident may have been preventable with some preflight planning and decision making.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Never heard of Kasper Air. Looking on the internet it looks like a single airplane company started by a bunch of kids? Piston, Single Engine, on wheels at -35 in Northern Ontario is not ideal. It can be done, but it's hard on equipment. Good thing this did not involve passengers sitting 10 hours in the cold waiting for a ride on a Ski Doo.
I don't know if the guy was on a company flight plan, but 10 hours waiting for a ride home is way too long. I know the Mayday was called in right away but if my guy is sitting in a swamp at -35 I find a way of getting a helicopter quicker than that. Presumably he then had a chilly Ski Doo ride to KAS?

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

phillyfan wrote:Never heard of Kasper Air. Looking on the internet it looks like a single airplane company started by a bunch of kids? Piston, Single Engine, on wheels at -35 in Northern Ontario is not ideal.
Kasper is a very new company that I would be surprised to see survive this, as I cannot see the aircraft landing on snow and making it out ok. Very happy to hear the pilot is ok, especially in those conditions.

All my experience on piston engines required that if the temp was below -30 than the flight was postponed and we went for coffee.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Plane is listed for sale. I wonder if it's an as-is, where-is deal now? Must pick up by spring.

http://en-ca.aircraft24.com/singleprop/ ... 117893.htm

TwigPig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwigPig »

They must be up and running still. Their Facebook page is running and they have a very recent photo on there. Did they land it on the iceroad maybe? Seems sketchy, they have a really good price on a seat sale from YHD to YQT!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”