Germanwings A320 Plane Crashes in Southern France

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Germanwings A320 Plane Crashes in Southern France

Post by Rookie50 »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/germanwings ... TopStories

All feared dead. 150 people. If the link is inaccessible, there is little other info. Crash teams are on the way. Flight was from bachelona to Düsseldorf.
---------- ADS -----------

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Germanwings A320 Plane Crashes in Southern France

Post by Rudy »

Weather info? Hopefully not ice again.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Germanwings is one of those airlines that combine an all Airbus 320 series fleet with the hiring of only low time pilots through the Lufthansa Cadet program. The captains are upgraded from the pool of First Officers.
This can create a situation where although the two people up front have a combined experience of thousands of hours, all of it, minus 200 hours each, may be on a Fly-by-Wire, stall-proof, overspeed-proof, roll-proof, inverted-proof, high-deck-angle-proof, and low-energy-proof, aircraft that is always taken off with auto-thrust and mostly flown with auto-thrust right into the flare, when ILS autolands are not done. The A-320 series is also an aircraft which has the pretention to overule pilot input, even with the auto-pilot disengaged, as we saw in a recent A321 incident.

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

To go from cruising altitude to crashing is a bit unnerving. RIP to those who lost their lives. Condolences to families.

bmc
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2 ... ve-updates

Still unsure if there was a Mayday.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:Germanwings is one of those airlines that combine an all Airbus 320 series fleet with the hiring of only low time pilots through the Lufthansa Cadet program. The captains are upgraded from the pool of First Officers.
This can create a situation where although the two people up front have a combined experience of thousands of hours, all of it, minus 200 hours each, may be on a Fly-by-Wire, stall-proof, overspeed-proof, roll-proof, inverted-proof, high-deck-angle-proof, and low-energy-proof, aircraft that is always taken off with auto-thrust and mostly flown with auto-thrust right into the flare, when ILS autolands are not done. The A-320 series is also an aircraft which has the pretention to overule pilot input, even with the auto-pilot disengaged, as we saw in a recent A321 incident.
Gilles - this is way over the top - even for you!

Perhaps you should wait for more information to emerge.

You're also wrong about how airbus fly-by- wire are flown.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

bmc wrote:To go from cruising altitude to crashing is a bit unnerving. RIP to those who lost their lives. Condolences to families.
Yes for sure and indeed. Unfortunately over on that PPRUNE site every 100 yr old WW2 Battle of Germany vets, basement-dwelling Microsoft Flight Sim drivers, mystics of the church,Retired NORAD Generals, the usual accident investigate TV talking heads etc., etc. are alive and well on probably 15 pages of toilet paper commentary.......

Above it all, very sad to hear and one feels for those affected in this most difficult time in their lives.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Eric Janson wrote:
Gilles - this is way over the top - even for you!

Perhaps you should wait for more information to emerge.

You're also wrong about how airbus fly-by- wire are flown.
I did not insinuate or suggest that this had anything to do with current accident, nothing is known yet, nothing I've seen anyway. All I know it that it crashed while in cruise flight.

But Germanwings
Does have an all Airbus 320 series fleet
Does hire only from the Lufthansa Cadet training program
Does only upgrade from the right seat.

And the Airbus Fly by wire aircraft do have protection modes that activate even when the autopilot is disengaged, as long as the aircraft is in normal law, which this recent Lufthansa incident illustrates: http://avherald.com/h?article=47d74074. In the Air France 447 incident, the software recognized it no longer knew what was going on, so disconnected the autopilot, went into alternate law and basically handed over the controls to the pilots. In the Lufthansa incident, it did not......

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:
I did not insinuate or suggest that this had anything to do with current accident, nothing is known yet, nothing I've seen anyway. All I know it that it crashed while in cruise flight.
So why post at all?
But Germanwings
So do plenty of other Airlines all over the World. So what?
And the Airbus Fly by wire aircraft do have protection modes that activate even when the autopilot is disengaged, as long as the aircraft is in normal law, which this recent Lufthansa incident illustrates: http://avherald.com/h?article=47d74074. In the Air France 447 incident, the software recognized it no longer knew what was going on, so disconnected the autopilot, went into alternate law and basically handed over the controls to the pilots. In the Lufthansa incident, it did not......
Again since it is unclear what happened how is this relevant?

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

So if I posted the enroute weather at the time at the location of the crash, you would write here and tell me that we don't know as yet if the weather is related, so why post it ?
Would I be insinuating that the weather was related to the accident ?

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Very sad and tragic indeed but very peculiar that no call was made. I'm thinking hypoxia during the climb on autopilot, aircraft then reaches set altitude and ap disengages causing the aircraft to descend until ground contact with all crew and pax incapacitated. Other hypoxia incidents have usually led to the aircraft continuing until fuel is exhausted but I don't know what the ap settings and controls are like on this aircraft. The boxes will give us more.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Maybe they wanted to go to 34,000' and entered 3400 into the VS mode by accident?

Something similar to Air Inter.

But Germanwings
That may be true, but reports are that the Captain had been with both German wings and Lufthansa for 10 years.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Wasn't at cruise altitude more than a few moments. Note steady heading and GS all the way down.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GWI ... L/tracklog

Forgive me for speculation -- I'm not -- but what would cause an (uncommanded) descent with AP still engaged presumably (steady heading and vertical descent rate)

If commanded -- why no radio call or turn away from mountains?

Last edited by Rookie50 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:So if I posted the enroute weather at the time at the location of the crash, you would write here and tell me that we don't know as yet if the weather is related, so why post it ?
Would I be insinuating that the weather was related to the accident ?
Hmmm.

Last edited by hamstandard on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prodriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Prodriver »

Rookie50 wrote:Wasn't at cruise altitude more than a few moments. Note steady heading and GS all the way down.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GWI ... L/tracklog
That news does not look to good. Very stable decent and no radio calls??

Last edited by Prodriver on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I need a time machine"
floydfrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by floydfrank »

I may be out of whack, but is it remotely possible that onboard systems were hacked from a source on the ground? You guys have much more knowledge than I, the biggest aircraft I have flown is a -8 300, no fly by wire in that machine.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

floydfrank wrote: is it remotely possible that onboard systems were hacked from a source on the ground?
I'm pretty sure that within the 588 pages of MH370 discussion on PPRUNE, that topic was generally beaten to death, every which way. (I know that happened to be a 777, not an Airbus)

floydfrank
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by floydfrank »

I can well imagine that the topic of hijack hacking has been beat to a pulp. I don't know how much will be gleaned off of the flight recorders, the pictures of the debris were appalling. Some things seem very out to lunch on this, particularly the relatively steady state of descent, and the lack of communication.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

hamstandard wrote: Guaranteed that the first thing Gilles did was see if there was P2F. If so, then he would have closed the investigation already.

Must have been disappointed eh Gilles.
Germanwings, the Lufthansa low cost subsidiary, P2F ? Europe's pilot profession would be at rock bottom if that were the case. I'm afraid you are confusing issues.....

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

GyvAir wrote:
floydfrank wrote: is it remotely possible that onboard systems were hacked from a source on the ground?
I'm pretty sure that within the 588 pages of MH370 discussion on PPRUNE, that topic was generally beaten to death, every which way. (I know that happened to be a 777, not an Airbus)
If 588 pages is what it was on PPRUNE, imagine A.net. Or worse, Reddit. Christ.

I hate speculating an accident before the FDR/CVRs are found, and before the investigation report is published. Let's all just sit and wait a few years, and we'll know exactly what happened.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”