Another BC ultralight down -

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Another BC ultralight down -

Post by boeingboy »

Another ultralight (amature built) from King George airpark is down. This one killed the pilot.:cry:

It's a kitfox. One of the most fun aircraft I've flown and a real STOL machine. Sounds like a classic stall/spin.

KGA said they would issue a statement. I wonder if they will blame him too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3067541
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Another BC ultralight down -

Post by AirFrame »

Looks like it was an N-reg (N688KY) and owned by the same person from Richmond who owns a Titan Tornado. No idea if he was flying or someone else. King George's Facebook page has a photo with a caption "welcoming the Colonel and 8KY". Don't know if that means it was based there or not.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

he amateur built Kitfox, N688KY, was on a return flight to the King George Airpark (CSK8) and
landed long on Runway 25. The pilot applied power, took off, and carried out a low level circuit for
another landing on Runway 25. During the second attempt, the pilot was informed that he was
carrying out a downwind landing. The aircraft landed long again, but on the second climb out, the
aircraft climbed straight to 300 to 400 feet before an apparent power loss and a steep turn, nose
drop and spiral to the ground in a field adjacent to the airpark. The aircraft sustained major
damage. The pilot (sole occupant) was fatally injured. The aircraft was destroyed.
Examination of the wreckage revealed contaminants in the fuel system.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

This time it is a Vagabond...

"C-FVMV, a privately operated Piper PA-15X Vagabond aircraft, departed from Surrey/King George Airpark, BC (CSK8) on a pleasure flight with only the pilot on board. Shortly after departure, the engine (Lycoming O-200-A X) lost power and the pilot made a forced landing straight ahead into a blueberry field. The aircraft received substantial damage. Just before the accident, the engine was operated on the ground for several minutes and the carburetor heat was turned off 1 or 2 minutes before takeoff. The pilot reported that carburetor icing is suspected to have caused the engine to stop. There was no fire. The aircraft was not equipped with an ELT. The pilot was wearing a fixed shoulder harness, however it was not tightly secured; minor injuries resulted."

Two minutes seems like a pretty short time period to pick up a large amount of carb ice, but who knows. Anybody seen that on a Continental O-200 engine?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

pelmet wrote:This time it is a Vagabond...

Two minutes seems like a pretty short time period to pick up a large amount of carb ice, but who knows. Anybody seen that on a Continental O-200 engine?
It does pick up ice pretty quickly, but the carb heat should always be able to clear it (assuming you apply it immediately, and it's working properly). This aircraft was owner maintenance.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

pelmet wrote:This time it is a Vagabond...

"C-FVMV, a privately operated Piper PA-15X Vagabond aircraft, departed from Surrey/King George Airpark, BC (CSK8) on a pleasure flight with only the pilot on board. Shortly after departure, the engine (Lycoming O-200-A X) lost power and the pilot made a forced landing straight ahead into a blueberry field. The aircraft received substantial damage. Just before the accident, the engine was operated on the ground for several minutes and the carburetor heat was turned off 1 or 2 minutes before takeoff. The pilot reported that carburetor icing is suspected to have caused the engine to stop. There was no fire. The aircraft was not equipped with an ELT. The pilot was wearing a fixed shoulder harness, however it was not tightly secured; minor injuries resulted."

Humidity was at about 78-87% near the time of the accident. So definitely plausible. I have detected carb ice on run up on a O-200 before. It's never been so bad it would stop the engine. If it was that bad he would have noticed a low RPM during take off and should have aborted the take off. Personally I always make sure I have proper static RPM when I take off in my plane.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”