WESTJET 391 BOMB THREAT

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Turbolag
Rank 1
Rank 1

WESTJET 391 BOMB THREAT

Post by Turbolag »

http://globalnews.ca/news/2079557/repor ... n-airport/

I heard this news through a passenger before it was posted on the news. Silly question time. How can you take it seriously when someone calls in a threat? It would kind of go against the terrorist handbook would it not? To call in the fact that you did something bad, before it had a chance to go bad...

There are procedures in place to evidently determine one way or the other if the threat is real, but I find it hard to believe. Scary times when you can't travel from one end of the great white north to the other without some form of terrorism upsetting the applecart.

Just another day in the new world order of things. Here is hoping Putin wises up, and gets serious. With a true Cold War, all the other little players become obsolete and the only fear is nuclear winter. :D
---------- ADS -----------

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WESTJET 391 BOMB THREAT

Post by rxl »

Turbolag wrote:
Just another day in the new world order of things. Here is hoping Putin wises up, and gets serious. With a true Cold War, all the other little players become obsolete and the only fear is nuclear winter. :D
Ya that's it ... we'll show those pesky terrorists ... their piddly little threat is nothin' compared to mutually assured destruction.

Brilliant.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

What I don't understand is why WestJet published it all over social media while it was happening?

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Second bomb threat in 3 days. This one on a flight from Edmonton to Toronto.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3132778

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

I'm interested if the slides were used in all three cases? It's an interesting decision to have to make, emergency evac and risk injuries, or wait and get stairs and risk there actually being an explosive device (on a timer I suppose would be the only case for it to detonate on the ground well into the flight).

I'd have to consider the nature of the threat and its credibility..tough call either way.

Edit.. I see stairs were used in the first case found a picture. That would be my initial thought as well unless I was convinced it was a credible threat. Depending on age, fitness etc of passengers they can really get hurt going down a slide, though getting blown up can sting a bit as well...

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Does anyone know of an actual case where a bomb was placed on an aircraft and then the airline or police was warned about it?

Heck, forget an airplane. How about a bomb being placed anywhere and the police or location being warned about it. Is there a single reported case of this happening?

Crusty
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crusty »

ahramin wrote:Does anyone know of an actual case where a bomb was placed on an aircraft and then the airline or police was warned about it?

Heck, forget an airplane. How about a bomb being placed anywhere and the police or location being warned about it. Is there a single reported case of this happening?
ahramin wrote:
I don't know about in North America but that was a very common tactic of the IRA. The terrorist logic being that you terrify everybody who comes out of that aircraft/building/whatever because nobody knows with certainty what would have happened if the thing was occupied and what the extent of the damage would have been. Then you also scare everyone in the area with the police response.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

I'm going off my memory here so I might be wrong, but I think there was a case where the IRA called in a bomb threat, but the actual bomb was further down the street. Everyone evacuated the building that received the threat and congregated in the street, closer to the real explosive when it went off. Not exactly the example that was asked for, but calling in a threat when there's actually a bomb isn't unprecedented.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

So if there is a believable aircraft bomb threat then we should immediately land all aircraft, not just the one claimed to be the target?

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Maybe WestJet shouldnt advertise it all over social media so it doesn't get the attention the caller is craving?

Also, I use the word "advertise" for multiple reasons...

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

Another one tonight, flight 722 diverted to yyc. Fourth one this week now??

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”