Sussex Airshow Crash

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Sussex Airshow Crash

Post by GyvAir »

pdw wrote:What were the 'two different directions' (entry and exit heading) ?
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... G-BXFI.pdf

It's all in there, as could best be determined by the investigation.
---------- ADS -----------

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

The entry up into the "bent loop" is at SE heading, approx 45deg right 10kt crosswind (a "south"wind) at the surface. At 3000' nearing the apex it is pretty much headwind from SE at ~ 15kts, as the wind backs/increases on that upline (groundspeed 90kts if airspeed "105").

The link also mentions 'engine power reduction' which already makes it two slowing factors before the start of the downline ..

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/A ... 488-1.html

Airshow Pilot Charged In Fatal Crash

Quote: "Airshow pilot Andrew Hill, 53, whose 1955 Hawker Hunter crashed in August 2015, killing 11 men, has been charged with “manslaughter by gross negligence” in a British court. He will appear before a judge on April 19. The 11 who died were either in vehicles on the road or standing on the roadside, outside the airfield. Twelve others, plus Hill, were injured. Hill had attempted to perform a loop during his airshow display, but failed to complete it, and crashed. He also will be charged with endangering an aircraft.

Since the accident, warbird performances in the U.K. have been shifted to sites over water. Hill, an experienced airshow pilot, hit the top of a loop 800 feet lower and 50 knots slower than required for the Hunter and was not able to recover. Investigators said he had recently renewed his airshow performance permit on a Jet Provost, which has different performance characteristics than the Hunter, and “a possible error path was that the pilot recalled the wrong numbers, essentially mixing up the two aircraft.”"

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Poor, sorry, bastard...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
oldyellr
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by oldyellr »

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

oldyellr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:26 pm Finally the trial starts.
Do you take solace in that?

I highly doubt that anyone goes out to perform a display only to narrowly escape death themselves. Assuming the man has a conscience, I am sure that he has his own cloud to make peace with.

For Christ sake, people make mistakes, this one was deadly but what will come from any criminal litigation of this? Tell me, regal us! How will Aviation safety suddenly change with a guilty or non guilty plea?

Respectfully,
TPC

oldyellr
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by oldyellr »

Not at all. I really feel sorry for the pilot and it's a miracle he survived. If the crash hadn't happened over a busy highway with all those casualties, there would likely not have been charges. I was merely remarking on how slowly the wheels of justice turn over there. It's been 3-1/2 years since the accident.

ktcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ktcanuck »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:32 pm
oldyellr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:26 pm Finally the trial starts.
Do you take solace in that?

I highly doubt that anyone goes out to perform a display only to narrowly escape death themselves. Assuming the man has a conscience, I am sure that he has his own cloud to make peace with.

For Christ sake, people make mistakes, this one was deadly but what will come from any criminal litigation of this? Tell me, regal us! How will Aviation safety suddenly change with a guilty or non guilty plea?

Respectfully,
TPC
"Respectfully"? I see no respect in jumping to a conclusion that the poster had anything but good intentions. "Maliciously" perhaps.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”