How not to recover an airplane

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

How not to recover an airplane

Post by AirFrame »

Short story: Pilot inadvertently holds brakes too long (or brakes sieze, not sure which) on landing, resulting in airplane flipping over it's nose onto it's back. News story:

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/ ... /72687694/

Check out the last two photos in the sequence. One shows the tractor pulling a tight red strap to lift the plane upright (on its spinner, no padding, etc.). The last photo shows the red strap sagging loose between the tractor and the airplane, and the airplane "well beyond" balanced. I suspect it's an action shot... That tail would come down *really* fast as there's no other strap supporting it on the backside.

No visible damage to the tail cone from the initial accident... I wonder if the tail cone buckled after being dropped during recovery.
---------- ADS -----------

PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: How not to recover an airplane

Post by PT6-114A »

Wonder if he had his heels on the floor? :evil:

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

In the last picture, it looks like the airplane is supported by the spinner, left wing tip and left main gear. This might be enough to balance the thing, but it would come down hard if pulled beyond that.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

@Redneck, I thought that too, but i'm not convinced the CG is centered between those three points... I hope for the owner's sake that it was!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”