Cirrus IFR Approach KCLT

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Cirrus IFR Approach KCLT

Post by Rookie50 »

pelmet wrote:Control problems from the autopilot do seem to be the focus of the report. It does mention that the aircraft started climbing and banking after engaging the autopilot. He then selected straight and level on the autopilot which did not seem to help. Then he deployed the parachute. It is quite possible that much information is missing from the report but it does not mention about pushing the autopilot disengage button first which would seem to be the logical thing to do.

I believe this is a later version of the SR22 if it has a straight and level autopilot function. On the SR22 G1 version which I am familiar with, the A/P disengage button is simply just pushing down on the "coolie hat" trim button on the sidestick.

Like any of the modern aircraft, I can tell from experience on the Cirrus that if you are not quite familiar with the avionics, wrong buttons get pushed and the aircraft does undesirable things.
You see reports like this over and over, relating to AP issues or programming on approaches. Most don't turn out with happy endings. If I'm uncomfortable for a moment with what my AP is doing, it goes straight to heading mode, or off.

IMO If one can't accurately hand fly an aircraft in IMC when the AP isn't cooperative, dual is required. Relying completely on technology without ability to take over can be Russian roulette.
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

It may not be just a question of control either. In something like this disorientation could have become a problem over time as well.

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

+1 Rookie
I fly piston single pilot and I also fly jets and sometimes you just need to disengage the autopilot and hand fly while it sorts itself out or you figure out what is wrong.
Children on the Magenta anyone?

It used to be a problem of the Jet guys but now as private aircraft become more automated it's becoming relevant.
Confession....I had to hand fly while I figured out how to embed this YouTube Link!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”