The missing Caravan

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

The missing Caravan

Post by trey kule »

Some time ago there was a Caravan that departed and headed over Hudson Bay, and then dissappeared.

Lots of speculation, and then nothing.

Has anyone heard anymore about it? Was the aircraft ever located and recovered?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by trey kule on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
carbeerater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: The missing Caravan

Post by carbeerater »

Yes quite the mystery.

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

I knew the pilot and that questions sometime pops into my head. I'd like to think he's on a beach on some desolate island in the Bahamas sipping a cocktail.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Taxivasion wrote:I knew the pilot and that questions sometime pops into my head. I'd like to think he's on a beach on some desolate island in the Bahamas sipping a cocktail.
Until they spend the money to dive the wreck in Hudson Bay, yours is not an unlikely scenario. Hope you're correct.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Tanker299
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tanker299 »

Very strange indeed. Not a normal flight or that's what was said. He had just passed the bar exam and was one year from the 757.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

I knew / know the pilot and he often said he wanted to take a plane up north, jump out of it (he is/was an avid skydiver) and find an island and live off the land up north. It was a very specific scenario and matches up to the events that occurred.

The ELT was intentionally lit up after takeoff. Text messages were sent to friends saying "I'm going away for a while". He was seen on video loading two heavy bags into the plane before he departed YYZ. Bags that could contain supplies and his parachute - he owned one. Who brings baggage with them if they intend to commit suicide?

I think he took off, set the autopilot and the ELT so the plane could be tracked, then jumped out and started a new life. I honestly think he did, and I told as much to the RCMP after the plane initially went missing. He was so detailed in his scenario and he spoke about it to other people, not just me, that I felt it might be a lead worth pursuing.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

What I don't understand is why he couldn't just tell everyone he was going to live off the land up north. That's not an unreasonable thing to want to do. Why did he have to go and wreck a perfectly good plane and pretend he had died?

Did he have huge debts or something?

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Coles Notes please...

Whose plane?

What connection did the pilot have to the plane? Employee, owner?

I sort of remember the incident. The big question is if he's still alive, why all the drama, and expense to the insurance company, search etc.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Last edited by CL-Skadoo! on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

Sulako wrote:I knew / know the pilot and he often said he wanted to take a plane up north, jump out of it (he is/was an avid skydiver) and find an island and live off the land up north. It was a very specific scenario and matches up to the events that occurred.

The ELT was intentionally lit up after takeoff. Text messages were sent to friends saying "I'm going away for a while". He was seen on video loading two heavy bags into the plane before he departed YYZ. Bags that could contain supplies and his parachute - he owned one. Who brings baggage with them if they intend to commit suicide?

I think he took off, set the autopilot and the ELT so the plane could be tracked, then jumped out and started a new life. I honestly think he did, and I told as much to the RCMP after the plane initially went missing. He was so detailed in his scenario and he spoke about it to other people, not just me, that I felt it might be a lead worth pursuing.
Agreed. Nice kid but an odd one, Was always trying to stick it to "The Man". Avid skydiver. Wouldn't put it past him for this scenerio.
CpnCrunch wrote:What I don't understand is why he couldn't just tell everyone he was going to live off the land up north. That's not an unreasonable thing to want to do. Why did he have to go and wreck a perfectly good plane and pretend he had died?

Did he have huge debts or something?
Last I spoke with him Air Bravo was coming after him for a full Captains PPC Bond. He was a law student so he was trying to think of ways to beat them. Other then that I think himself and family were well off.
cncpc wrote:Coles Notes please...

Whose plane?

What connection did the pilot have to the plane? Employee, owner?

I sort of remember the incident. The big question is if he's still alive, why all the drama, and expense to the insurance company, search etc.
-Fed Ex
-Employee of Fedex, Single Pilot daily Caravan run- good gig.

Arrived in Taxi at Landmark and as Sulako said he had bags that were abnormal for the trip but seemed fine to the Landmark staff, was chatty,etc.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

I hope he's okay. He wanted to disappear, and I'm sure that if Sully knew where he was, he'd honour his wishes and keep it to himself. As would I. Everybody you meet, on the street, or at work, is battling demons of some sort. Personally, I hope he's sipping Captain Morgan rum on a beech, somewhere over the horizon. Nobody would off themselves by sitting in an airplane till it runs out of gas and......the water in Hudson's Bay is COLD! Hopefully, we never learn the answer.
Illya

RockLobstar1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RockLobstar1 »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:I hope he's okay. He wanted to disappear, and I'm sure that if Sully knew where he was, he'd honour his wishes and keep it to himself. As would I. Everybody you meet, on the street, or at work, is battling demons of some sort. Personally, I hope he's sipping Captain Morgan rum on a beech, somewhere over the horizon. Nobody would off themselves by sitting in an airplane till it runs out of gas and......the water in Hudson's Bay is COLD! Hopefully, we never learn the answer.
Illya
I can appreciate that people like to disappear and start new lives or would maybe for whatever reason want to be dropped off in the bush and live off the land but to fake your death is a shitty thing to do to your family. Not to mention stealing and crashing an airplane. If I knew where he was I'd turn him in. There's easier and less illegal ways to start a new life.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

RockLobstar1 wrote:
Illya Kuryakin wrote:I hope he's okay. He wanted to disappear, and I'm sure that if Sully knew where he was, he'd honour his wishes and keep it to himself. As would I. Everybody you meet, on the street, or at work, is battling demons of some sort. Personally, I hope he's sipping Captain Morgan rum on a beech, somewhere over the horizon. Nobody would off themselves by sitting in an airplane till it runs out of gas and......the water in Hudson's Bay is COLD! Hopefully, we never learn the answer.
Illya
I can appreciate that people like to disappear and start new lives or would maybe for whatever reason want to be dropped off in the bush and live off the land but to fake your death is a shitty thing to do to your family. Not to mention stealing and crashing an airplane. If I knew where he was I'd turn him in. There's easier and less illegal ways to start a new life.
I don't see how this would affect you in any way. You don't agree with his methodology. That's your problem. Not his. Hopefully, you'll never be confronted with life situations that (in your mind) require this kind of extreme response. Your comment is a wee bit self righteous, don't you think? Let sleeping does lie.
Illya

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
I don't see how this would affect you in any way. You don't agree with his methodology. That's your problem. Not his. Hopefully, you'll never be confronted with life situations that (in your mind) require this kind of extreme response. Your comment is a wee bit self righteous, don't you think? Let sleeping does lie.
Illya
Yep.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
RockLobstar1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RockLobstar1 »

It doesn't affect me in anyway, I just think it's a dick move. Especially if he's sitting on a beach sipping rum while his family thinks he's resting at the bottom of Hudson Bay. That's just my opinion though. It may be self righteous but I like to think that if I faced a similar situation to whatever he was facing, that i would handle it differently.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

RockLobstar1 wrote:It doesn't affect me in anyway, I just think it's a dick move. Especially if he's sitting on a beach sipping rum while his family thinks he's resting at the bottom of Hudson Bay. That's just my opinion though. It may be self righteous but I like to think that if I faced a similar situation to whatever he was facing, that i would handle it differently.
Not all can abide by your high standards.......if the time ever comes, I hope you can.
Illya

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Suicide is the most likely scenario. Perhaps the last skydive was without a chute.

Last edited by pelmet on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goshawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Goshawk »

BJ was and is still to this day the best stick and rudder guy I have ever flown with. Every now and then I like to think he goes online and reads this stuff. Miss you dude whether your reading this from a beach or up above.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Still thought it was odd this story was hardly mentioned in the news. If AC or WJ lose a dog it has national news coverage.

Let’s Go Brandon
Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Shady McSly »

If he didn't want to be found why would he set of ELT? The island he's living on can't be too far from the plane's track.

Maybe they should have just looked for an extra fat polar bear with part of a parachute hanging out of it's a$$.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”