Two unrelated powerplant failures at the same time

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Two unrelated powerplant failures at the same time

Post by pelmet »

Bad luck. Now you can say that you have heard of this actually happening. Apparently not an emergency though.

C-FIJX, the Buffalo Airways Ltd. Lockheed L-188C, was conducting fire suppression operations 74
nm NE of Fort Smith, NT (CYSM). While conducting a bombing run FIJX experienced a loss of
power in the # 1 and #4 engines (Allison 501-D13). The flight crew actioned the SOP and
performed the engine failure drill for both the #1 and #4 engines. The aircraft returned to CYSM
and landed uneventfully. No emergency was declared and there were no injuries. The power
section of engine # 1 experienced a compressor stall and engine #4 had decoupled.
---------- ADS -----------

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Two unrelated powerplant failures at the same time

Post by ZBBYLW »

Interesting... two unrelated engine failures and no emergency. Wonder why that was?

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Ummm, Buffalo has recently been through a TC audit, therefore ALL of its procedures and standards are to the highest level. The 2 engine failure was just a figment of the imagination, therefore needing no declaration and ensuing investigation,,,,, :lol:

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I wonder how fast they can emergency dump a full load of retardant?

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bigsky »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote:I wonder how fast they can emergency dump a full load of retardant?

It takes about 1/2 hour to dump the load..

There is no substitute for BIG JUGS!!
flatface
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by flatface »

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

On a similar vein, there is a reportedly true story about some trainee pilot in an F-86 down at those military bases about 50 miles of so west of Phoenix. The trainee is having some unusual engine readings and he's downwind number two to a B-36 on long final. He calls tower and asks for permission to cut in short in front of the bomber. That's denied, so he declares an emergency and demands priority landing. The B36 pilot comes on and says "Tower, I've got six turnin' and four burnin' and any time I strap this thing to my ass it's an emergency."

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”