Fatal Peterborough crash

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Fatal Peterborough crash

Post by PilotDAR »

680 News is reporting a fatal crash in downtown Peterborough overnight

Good job of the pilot preventing insuring anyone else. No matter what else happened, aviation is better when these unhappy events do not affect innocent citizens - well done.

---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Fatal Peterborough crash

Post by Heliian »

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Unfortunate. Looks like a traumahawk.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Tomahawks were reliable planes weren't they ?

Last edited by pdw on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CDN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CDN »

News is saying "Police in the city about 140 kilometres east of Toronto say the incident is believed to involve a crime"

http://globalnews.ca/news/2879025/man-d ... erborough/

Wonder if it was what was found in the aircraft or how who was flying gained access to the aircraft that is considered criminal.

CDN

Laser Tilt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laser Tilt »

From 680 News:

One man is dead after a plane crashed onto a Peterborough street early on Friday morning.

Chris Barry, deputy chief of operations at Peterborough EMS, confirmed the crash.

Emergency crews were dispatched to High Street and Lansdowne Street around 1:30 a.m.

The man, believed to be in his 20s or 30s, was the only person onboard the plane. He was pronounced dead at the scene. He was still strapped in when crews arrived.

Police say the incident was a crime and are treating it as such.

------------------------------

Sounds like the aircraft may have been stolen?

switchflicker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by switchflicker »

Or carrying illegal substances.

"I'd rather have it and not need than to need it and not have it" Capt. Augustus McCrae.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

So, maybe we should be saving the "good jobs" for not hurting anyone on the ground on this one. The way I see it, from the articles, is he endangered many by being in the sky and the people on the ground in the area are lucky he didn't hurt them.

Laser Tilt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laser Tilt »

Confirmed aircraft stolen from Markham. 21 year old "pilot" died...no confirmation if this person was actually a pilot or not.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

So, maybe we should be saving the "good jobs" for not hurting anyone on the ground on this one.
Yup, agreed. Normally I'm thinking that getting down in a city at night without endangering anyone is a good job, but if a crime is involved, I have to think about it differently.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

pdw wrote:Tomahawks were reliable planes weren't they ?
The nickname Traumahawk was acquired by a spin that tended to go flat. Not sure if it was a training issue or an airframe thing. Not applicable in this case.

RIP plane thief.

Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Old Dog Flying »

Co-joe: the PA-38 Tomahawk was a very reliable aircraft which could get your attention if you flew it like a Cessna.

But the spin did not develope into a flat spin at any time regardless of the talking bobbleheads that were expert on the subject.

If you allowed the spin to develop into a stabilized situation the nose would come up to about 50-60 degrees before re-settling to about 70 degrees down. This "Story" developed in 1978 when a newby instructor, with Cessna experience only, was attempting to train someone for the first spin in the Tomahawk

There were many such BS bombs going around but after hundreds of spins in the Tomahawk I can tell you that the stories of near death experiences were just so much BULL.

The stall was a bit exciting if you let a wing drop then tried to pick up the down going wing with aileron. That action nearly killed an instructor and student near Chicago but they hit a barn roof and it was the strength of the bird that save their lives.

Barney

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I entirely agree with Barney's remarks about the Tomahawk. I quite enjoyed the two I used to fly, and was very content to stall and spin them. It's pretty rare that training accidents are the fault of design of a certified airplane being flown within it's limitations.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I had a Tomahawk in my school and like Barney and PilotDAR I found it to be a very good training airplane.

If a flight instructor loses control of a Tomahawk said instructor is incompetent as a pilot.

I actually preferred it to the Cessnas.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

But the spin did not develope into a flat spin at any time regardless of the talking bobbleheads that were expert on the subject.
I have been told you can identify a talking bobblehead by the clever way they call a tomahawk a trauma hawk.

now, back to the topic at hand.....

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Has any recent new developments been released regarding the crash?

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

PilotDAR wrote:I entirely agree with Barney's remarks about the Tomahawk. I quite enjoyed the two I used to fly, and was very content to stall and spin them. It's pretty rare that training accidents are the fault of design of a certified airplane being flown within it's limitations.
I've enjoyed quite a few spins in a tomahawk as well. Just don't turn around and look at the tail while you're spinning it. It's amazing how flexible aluminum is and how much that tail dances. :rolleyes:

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Seeing how the father is trying to spin it that his son is the victim and the airport and airplane owner are to blame , I'll bet he has discovered that the Markham Airport is owned by the Thompson Corp and he setting up a lawsuit .

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”