2 rescued from Nahanni, Wolverine Air.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Cap'n Tripps
Rank 2
Rank 2

2 rescued from Nahanni, Wolverine Air.

Post by Cap'n Tripps »

---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: 2 rescued from Nahanni, Wolverine Air.

Post by mbav8r »

Pet peeve of mine is when people simply post a link without any substance, often it's a subscription required site. I wish posters would at least paste the first paragraph or so, then I can decide whether or not to give a crap. Personally unless there's something very intriguing in the title I don't bother.
That being said I wonder what caused an apparent forced landing 15 miles from an airport? Icing?
I've seen a HO land with 4" of ice on all unprotected areas and the pilot told me with full power he was losing a couple hundred feet per minute and was sure was happy to make it to the airport. Might not have, had it been much farther.

"The plane was travelling from Nahanni Butte on its way to Fort Simpson when it went down at around 11:30 a.m.

Two people aboard a Wolverine Air flight are safe after their small plane went down this morning in N.W.T.'s Deh Cho region.
A spokesperson for N.W.T.'s Department of Transportation says the two occupants were rescued by helicopter about an hour later.

The Nahanni Butte Dene Band says it was told by Wolverine Air that the flight made an emergency landing.

The Piper Navajo airplane made a forced landing about 15 nautical miles south of Fort Simpson, according to Chris Krepski, a spokesperson for the Transportation Safety Board.

The two people on board were rescued within 30 minutes, he said. Neither were injured.

Krepski was unable to say, at this point, what caused the plane to go down.

Wolverine Air has not yet responded to a request for comment."

Cap'n Tripps
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cap'n Tripps »

Haters gonna hate.

The problem with quoting the article itself is that it changes as new information comes in. Especially on what is likely a rapidly developing story.

I thought I put enough information in the header for you to decide whether you wanted to click on it or not. The link itself should also have been a clue.

Can't please everyone I suppose.

Cap'n Tripps
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cap'n Tripps »

To be fair, the original article just said a light plane. I debated putting Wolverine Air at all, but then I decided to include it because there was no doubt they were involved. Also, putting "holy crap!..." wouldn't have added anything to the narrative other than drama and my own license.

If I do this again in the future, I'll try to be clearer.

stef
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by stef »

Wrt to deleted link...well I thought I was funny. No malice intended.

And to whoever called me a prat...that's fair. :)

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

That being said I wonder what caused an apparent forced landing 15 miles from an airport? Icing?
I've seen a HO land with 4" of ice on all unprotected areas and the pilot told me with full power he was losing a couple hundred feet per minute and wams sure was happy to make it to the airport. Might not have, had it been much farther.

I doubt it was icing, at the time there was a low overcast rapidly breaking up, I imagine they would easily get on top of that.

CYFS 241800Z 35003KT 290V360 15SM FEW080 SCT210 M22/M25 A2999 RMK AC1CI3 SLP180
CYFS 241724Z 34003KT 15SM FEW007 SCT080 SCT210 M22/M25 A2998 RMK ST2AC1CI1 SLP178
CYFS 241700Z 32003KT 280V020 15SM BKN006 M22/M25 A2998 RMK ST7 SLP178
CYFS 241600Z 32003KT 280V340 15SM BKN006 M22/M25 A2998 RMK ST7 CIG RAG SLP175

My bet is contaminated fuel. Whether that was water or air will come out soon.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

or no fuel...

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

'97 Tercel wrote:or no fuel...
That's what I meant by contaminated with air.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Was this a landing on the highway south of the airport?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

CADORS:

A 3119378 Canada Inc. Piper PA-31 (C-FTOE) declared a fuel emergency at 1836Z. At 1837Z both engines failed. The pilot advised that they were going to land 17.5 south of Fort Simpson, NT (CYFS). Upon landing, the right wing broke off about half way along the wing. Both props were damaged. There were two souls on board and they had no reported injuries. The point of departure and destination are unknown.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
C-FABH
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by C-FABH »

trey kule wrote:CADORS:

A 3119378 Canada Inc. Piper PA-31 (C-FTOE) declared a fuel emergency at 1836Z. At 1837Z both engines failed. The pilot advised that they were going to land 17.5 south of Fort Simpson, NT (CYFS). Upon landing, the right wing broke off about half way along the wing. Both props were damaged. There were two souls on board and they had no reported injuries. The point of departure and destination are unknown.
Quite a bit more info released by the TSB today. TSB file # is A16W0160. Assessed as a Class 5.

C-FTOE, a Piper PA-31 aircraft operated by South Nahanni Airways, was returning from Nahanni Butte, NT (CBD6) to Fort Simpson Island, NT (CET4) on a VFR flight itinerary with a pilot and one company employee on board. After leveling off at 5500 feet ASL, the right engine (Avco Lycoming TIO-540-A2C) began to surge. The right emergency fuel pump was selected on, the fuel tank was switched to the inboard and the engine ran smoothly. 5 minutes later, the right engine began to surge again. The emergency fuel pump was turned on again, however no change occurred. The pilot shut the engine down, feathered the propeller, and diverted the aircraft to the main Fort Simpson, NT (CYFS) airport. A few minutes later, the left engine began to surge. The pilot selected the emergency fuel pump and switched to the inboard tank with no results. An open area for a forced approach was selected, the left engine was shut down and the propeller was feathered. The pilot notified the FSS and the air operator of the emergency as well as their approximate location. A forced landing was conducted with the flaps fully extended and the landing gear retracted. The aircraft contacted a few small trees and slid to a stop, sustaining substantial damage; there was no post-impact fire. The pilot and the passenger were uninjured and evacuated through the main cabin door. The 406 ELT was activated manually and cell phone communications were established with the operator. The two occupants ignited a fire to stay warm and for signaling, and they were rescued approximately 60 minutes after the forced landing

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”