Amazing But True Accident Report

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Amazing But True Accident Report

Post by Pratt X 3 »

Oh the things that come to light when there is an investigation. Long but interesting read. Amazing who you might be sharing the airspace with.
Full report: Cessna 310H N1099Q
Docket Items: Docket
On September 5, 2015, about 1408 mountain daylight time a Cessna 310H, N1099Q, impacted
mountainous terrain near Silverton, Colorado. The private pilot, a pilot-rated passenger, and
two passengers were fatally injured. Instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) prevailed at the time of the
accident, and no flight plan had been filed. The pilot was not using air traffic control (ATC)
services.
A fixed-base operator (FBO) employee at FLG stated that, during the airplane's taxi to the fuel
pumps, the airplane almost hit an "Eclipse jet," and he thought it was going to hit golf carts
that were near the FBO building. When the airplane arrived, it taxied close enough to the selfserve
fuel pumps that it "knocked" a ladder with one of its propellers. He said that the pilot was
not "observant about his surroundings." The airplane had white "house letters" painted on its
side similar to those on fighter or Air Force aircraft. The house letters had "pilot" followed by a
name, which he could not remember seeing, and "copilot" followed by "God."
The FBO employee at FLG stated that, after the airplane was fueled, it taxied past the FLG ATC
tower without making any radio communications with ATC. The airplane taxied onto a runway
while an "air shuttle" was landing, and the air shuttle (SkyWest 2992) had to abort its landing.
The pilot then turned the radio on and taxied off the runway and onto a taxiway near the air
carrier ramp.
---------- ADS -----------

Have Pratts - Will Travel
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Amazing But True Accident Report

Post by co-joe »

Clearly the co-pilot was at fault in the accident.

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

That is a comedy of errors. That accident, if you can even call it that, is almost Darwin Award worthy. I can't believe two passengers actually felt comfortable enough with this guy that they actually got back into the plane at Flagstaff! There had to be alarm bells going off.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

Perhaps all were drunk.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Too funny, :ANAL:

Couldn't pull that off no matter how drunk I would be.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

mostly sad. probably should not be driving either, hope i have enough marbles left , to hang it up when i should.

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

:shock: Wow.

Guy was a Paraplegic, only thing he should've been flying is a Ercoupe. No Multi,IFR, Guy even said on the radio he was flying a Piper Comanche when he was in a Cessna 310... I want what those guys were smoking!

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

Yeah, that's a pretty sad report. Both were single engine pilots and not IFR rated. The plane's last airworthiness certificate was issued back in 2006.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Taxivasion wrote:Guy was a Paraplegic, only thing he should've been flying is a Ercoupe.
Paraplegia does not necessarily mean paraplegic. It means an impairment, not an outright loss of function. I'm sure he walked to the airplane and climbed in on his own.

Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

[quote]Finally, in a visit from September 1, 2015, the pilot was described as having a T12 spinal cord
injury, "in a wheelchair but able to transfer."/quote]

I wouldn't get in an airplane with him.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Taxivasion wrote:
Finally, in a visit from September 1, 2015, the pilot was described as having a T12 spinal cord
injury, "in a wheelchair but able to transfer."
I wouldn't get in an airplane with him.
Good catch, I missed that. Still, not completely immobile, but just one more factor working against this pilot I guess.

CFR
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CFR »

tps8903 wrote:That is a comedy of errors. That accident, if you can even call it that, is almost Darwin Award worthy...
I agree that this should not be called an accident. This was a predicable/inevitable outcome determined by a series of poor decisions made by the pilot/owner. I cannot see how what appeared to be his regular practices could have ended any other way but in a destroyed aircraft and injured or killed occupants at some point.

I am having a hard time gleaning any lessons from this except perhaps that passengers should choose their pilot wisely!

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

A few years ago I hd the misfortune of having to store the companies airplane in hangar frequented by many low time private pilots and most were reasonable people but on occasion, I came across some real wingnuts. These wingnuts unfortunately also flew small airplanes. I had one chap tell me he had lots of 4 engine time. Found out his 4 engine time was as a passenger strapped into a seat near the back of the airplane. Now one can have a chuckle about someone enhancing his experience but this clown actually believed he was a good experienced pilot. Happens all too often

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

There were so many holes in this one, there isn't any swiss cheese left anymore.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

oldtimer wrote:A few years ago I hd the misfortune of having to store the companies airplane in hangar frequented by many low time private pilots and most were reasonable people but on occasion, I came across some real wingnuts. These wingnuts unfortunately also flew small airplanes.
Unfortunately, general aviation is infested with incompetents and the result is a lot of aircraft that will never fly again and a lot of injuries and fatalities. It is one of the dirty little secrets of aviation.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”