AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Bet the farm
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: AC Lining Up with a Taxiway SFO...?

Post by Bet the farm »

This was a very serious incident and is being treated as such. I have always tried to keep an open mind with regards to how experienced flight crews can find themselves in a situation like this, and learn from their mistakes. Some people however tend to believe “that could never happen to me”. That type of thinking raises a persons chances of being weeded out via natural selection significantly. The interviews with the preceding flight crews in the docket, and their various levels of confusion on final are interesting. I believe that in the right circumstances this could happen to anyone. Always stay vigilant.
---------- ADS -----------

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

trey kule wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 am Wow! Just Wow.

An educational experience. :rolleyes:

The operations issues! The inside layers!

What...50;feet lower and how many hundreds of people would have died. Yep, this is all about learning. This was a failure by two pilots to fly even close to what would be expected of them. But Lets all celebrate the opportunity to learn....
Of course they are giving it serious attention. It was a huge screwup, and not one that can be put down to “ but for the grace of buddha, go I “

Yeh, Air Canada. :prayer:
I am not an Air Canada pilot nor have I ever worked for any airline further, I am not qualified on the A320 nor have I ever flown into SFO as a flight crew member. I try very hard to stay out of areas I know absolutely nothing about however reading this docket I did get education on ins/outs of airline operations and I qualified that with”personally”. There was quite a bit of written detailed information , even the names of the incident flight crew.

Yes, it was a very serious incident in view of the fact NTSB has opened a Docket on it and I have no doubt that AC is taking this incident seriously as well.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

he thought he initiated the go around at about 400’.
That is really interesting.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Did you read the Captains interview to get his perspective at all, he thought he initiated the go around at about 400’.
Our airbus all have a "100" autocall - I know that the autocalls are customisable by the operator.

Anyone from Air Canada able to clarify what the autocalls on the A320 are?

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

Eric Janson wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 1:17 pm
Did you read the Captains interview to get his perspective at all, he thought he initiated the go around at about 400’.
Our airbus all have a "100" autocall - I know that the autocalls are customisable by the operator.

“400” “100” “50” “30” “RETARD”

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

[quote=AOW post_id=1039778 time=1526270373 user_id=4441]
[quote="Eric Janson" post_id=1039747 time=1526242676 user_id=11458]
[quote]Did you read the Captains interview to get his perspective at all, he thought he initiated the go around at about 400’.
[/quote]

[/quote]

“400” “100” “50” “30” “RETARD”
[/quote]

Are you suggesting that the last statement that their aircraft said to them that night was a call of retard, retard?

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Just trying to understand this. It makes no sense to me. The CVR data would have been useful.

There would have been a '400' autocall and a '100' autocall after which a go around was made.

Radar altimeter data is clearly displayed at the bottom of the horizon on the PFD. It's a normal part of my scan.

Hopefully the final report will clarify this.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:42 pm
Just trying to understand this. It makes no sense to me. The CVR data would have been useful.

There would have been a '400' autocall and a '100' autocall after which a go around was made.

Radar altimeter data is clearly displayed at the bottom of the horizon on the PFD. It's a normal part of my scan.

Hopefully the final report will clarify this.
Lack of awareness if you thought you were at 400 feet but you were below 100 feet. I suppose after seeing lights on what they perceived to be the runway and then being assured that the runway was clear, it was mentally decided to ignore the distracting but unknown lights, perhaps concluding that a they were Ok to be there even if their purpose was unknown, and the approach continued with attention focused on being stable. One can intentionally put this stuff out of their mind and feel they they will figure it out upon landing with some strange excuses going through the mind such as maybe it has something to do with the turnoff lights. Been in a similar situation myself.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-release ... 80831.aspx

You will be able to watch the board meeting live. They can be interesting in that you might hear info that doesn't make it to the final report.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Are you suggesting that the last statement that their aircraft said to them that night was a call of retard, retard?
Maybe it should have said retard's?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:38 am
That joke would be more effective if you understood plurals and how to spell "retards".

Just a little advice for a young budding comedian....

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

LOL...

. can't spell

. is a "retard"

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Rockie wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:41 am
C.W.E. wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:38 am
That joke would be more effective if you understood plurals and how to spell "retards".

Just a little advice for a young budding comedian....

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Oh c'mon Tercel, you didn't see the ironic humour in misspelling a comment aimed at disparaging someone's intelligence?

I thought it was hilarious....

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Good catch you guys. :mrgreen:

I will try and remember to check my spelling more closely in the future.

But even more important is even low intelligence people can be very successful as a pilot because my flying career is proof positive it can be done.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Here's another A320 crew for you to berate...
Screenshot_2018-09-06-11-00-44.png
Screenshot_2018-09-06-11-00-44.png (928.68 KiB) Viewed 3841 times
American Airlines A320 on a visual approach into Fort Myers runway 06 almost landed at the wrong airport (Page Field runway 05).

ATC directed them to go around... News media and "experts" say there was no danger, just embarrassed pilots. Aircraft at Page were taking off and landing on the crossing runway.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/american-ai ... ort-myers/

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... rt-451629/

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Similar incident....it can happen. Back up your visual approach....

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... m&IType=IA

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

The NTSB is scheduled to meet tomorrow and release its findings and recommendations, according to https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... on-runways. Unsurprisingly, crew fatigue and failure to adequately review pre-flight warnings about potentially confusing construction at SFO are being cited as the major culprits. Equally unsurprisingly, it looks as though Canadian authorities are going to be asked to review flight duty time regulations, at least as they pertain to Canadian flights operating within the U.S.:

"While the NTSB’s findings are subject to change at the meeting, the staff has proposed citing pilot actions as the cause of the incident, with the flight crew’s fatigue and other issues as factors, said the person. The NTSB is also preparing to ask Transport Canada, that nation’s aviation regulator, to adopt stricter rules for pilots who fly in the U.S., according to the person."

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

AC pilots have more stringent fatigue rules in their CBA too. The rest of Canada is worse off.

I hope this neuters the lobbyists, embarrasses the politicians and we get some much needed rest.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

M.G should resign in disgrace. His inaction and ineptitude are inexcusable. At lease he'll be called out by a real agency. The FAA.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”