2 float plane crashes near Lutselke on same day

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

2 float plane crashes near Lutselke on same day

Post by Donald »

---------- ADS -----------

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: 2 float plane crashes near Lutselke on same day

Post by pdw »

Isolated 57km/gust .. Hay River July18/8pm-metar (closest to the southwest of Lutselke).

Near same time .. so maybe two birds with one ?

(News article is 2 days after, on July 20.)

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I've been reading Dave Olesen's blog for a while now, can't believe it was him - but very good to know he's alright.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Dave posted a blog entry about the incident in question. Interesting read.

https://bushedpilotblog.wordpress.com/2 ... lie-green/

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Great story. Great ending.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Yes, some good lessons in that story.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

What a well written story, glad it all worked out. It's well known but worth stating again; the Olesen's are real gems of the north. Inclement weather had me put down at their lodge one day. And while they filled me with sandwiches and hot coffee, Dave imparted on me some knowledge that only a local pilot can give. I left happier, wiser, and slightly envious of a life spent living and flying out on the East arm.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

NunavutPA-12 wrote:Yes, some good lessons in that story.
What are the lessons? I have only the minimum required float time so I am curious as a completely inexperienced float pilot. Should the takeoff not have been done with waves that size. I wonder what the forecast winds were. Were they stronger than forecast?

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

The "lessons" have nothing to do with flying or with decision-making! I would not presume to pass judgement on a very experienced pilot like Dave Olesen.

The lessons are: File a flight plan or itinerary. Have a "bail-out" bag handy. Carry some survival items on you (matches at least). Wear your lifejacket. Be prepared to swim (nobody is coming along on a Sea-Doo to pick you up). Be properly dressed. Wait on-site for the cavalry to arrive (because they will if you did item #1).

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Some of the lesson is that describing a floatplane operation environment cannon do justice to seeing it, and learning it (or choosing to reject, and wait). The valuable experience in the reading and listening is to create the awareness, that "out there", you're going to see situations, conditions, and topography which are new, and a new combination. You have to apply your knowledge to making the most, and reducing risk. Yes, tuck your landing into a cove, leaving yourself an over run out into the bigger water if your judgement is poor. Recognize wind vs wave vs swell direction - don't take off across swells. Your best education will be right seat with a very experienced pilot into many different places. The waving of arms and curving of hands as that pilot describes where they will land and take off, and why, is the experience you'd like to build.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

NunavutPA-12 wrote:The "lessons" have nothing to do with flying or with decision-making! I would not presume to pass judgement on a very experienced pilot like Dave Olesen.

The lessons are: File a flight plan or itinerary. Have a "bail-out" bag handy. Carry some survival items on you (matches at least). Wear your lifejacket. Be prepared to swim (nobody is coming along on a Sea-Doo to pick you up). Be properly dressed. Wait on-site for the cavalry to arrive (because they will if you did item #1).
None of those are lessons(in my opinion). Those are all standard stuff that everybody either knows or should know. I want to know what will prevent the same from happening to me so I won't need to apple the post-crash lessons.

Was this just a case of waves too big, a freak wave that can happen, improper control input, wrong technique(with correct technique described). You obviously were not there so I don't expect you to answer those questions but they are the type of questions that should be answered so the other stuff you mentioned is not required.

While both are important, my preference is for the preventing an accident lessons.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Maybe not lessons for you pelmet but it's worth stating for those with less experience.

Armchair quarterback here but after reading his story again I'd say it was a freak set of circumstances that blew them over. His description of the water surface says it all. Rough water is usually waves blowing in one direction but here he describes a more random water surface. In these conditions it doesn't take much for an offside wave to expose your wing to the full grip of the wind. It gets more tenuous as you commence the takeoff run, becoming light in the water but still getting banged around. Always a small sense of relief as you break away from rough chop like that.

I wonder how much that egress training played in him staying calm/collected enough to grab a few survival items for use on shore.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Mr. North wrote:Armchair quarterback here but after reading his story again I'd say it was a freak set of circumstances that blew them over. His description of the water surface says it all. Rough water is usually waves blowing in one direction but here he describes a more random water surface. In these conditions it doesn't take much for an offside wave to expose your wing to the full grip of the wind. It gets more tenuous as you commence the takeoff run, becoming light in the water but still getting banged around. Always a small sense of relief as you break away from rough chop like that.
Thanks....now we are getting some lessons learned and to keep in mind and to print out to put in my floatplane flying book for future reference.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”