Goderich - 1 fatality, 1 missing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Snowy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Goderich - 1 fatality, 1 missing

Post by Snowy »

---------- ADS -----------

g_goo_goo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Goderich - 1 fatality, 1 missing

Post by g_goo_goo »

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Any information on what is behind the claim the aircraft "...appeared to be in distress"?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

I've landed on RWY 14 in the dark. It's a big black hole out there over the lake
I am confused by the reported distress call also.

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

There is an instructor with the same name in Brampton webpage. Can anyone verify its her?

g_goo_goo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by g_goo_goo »

DCL415 wrote:There is an instructor with the same name in Brampton webpage. Can anyone verify its her?
Yes, unfortunately it is:

OPP have identified Veronica Draghici, a 36-year-old Brampton Flight Centre instructor, as one of two fatal victims in a plane crash that took place late Wednesday evening in the Goderich area.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Know of the pilot, friend of a friend. Any factual info, appreciate a PM.

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

Thanks, condolences to the family and friends

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

I had a conversation with Veronica Draghici a couple years ago while she was an administrator at BFC. I went in regarding some clarity on my tax claims and from there we started to talk about other things. That's when I found out she had a little kid and was working to make it to the airlines some day. She was very nice and a real hard-worker pursuing the airline dream in her 30s (like myself and that's why it hits close to home). So tragic! Deepest condolences to the families and friends of both victims. Sounds like she was on a night-rating flight with the student, Goderich is the standard night x-country at BFC.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

whistlerboy02 wrote:I've landed on RWY 14 in the dark. It's a big black hole out there over the lake
MrAviator19 wrote:Sounds like she was on a night-rating flight with the student, Goderich is the standard night x-country at BFC.
Putting the details of this accident aside, the statements above bring up the question of whether it is a good idea to be doing a night cross-country like this if it will end up over pitch black water.

I suppose there are two ways of looking at it. Best to avoid as control could be lost due to poor instrument flying skills or.....a good demonstration to a student of what night VFR can be like.

If you are going to proceed over the lake and away from lights, somebody on board better be proficient at instrument flying. Then there are the issues of being an instructor struggling to get control of the aircraft from a student that won't let go. Apparently...it happens on occasion.

Glad I avoided the instructor route.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

pelmet wrote:
whistlerboy02 wrote:I've landed on RWY 14 in the dark. It's a big black hole out there over the lake
MrAviator19 wrote:Sounds like she was on a night-rating flight with the student, Goderich is the standard night x-country at BFC.
Putting the details of this accident aside, the statements above bring up the question of whether it is a good idea to be doing a night cross-country like this if it will end up over pitch black water.

I suppose there are two ways of looking at it. Best to avoid as control could be lost due to poor instrument flying skills or.....a good demonstration to a student of what night VFR can be like.

If you are going to proceed over the lake and away from lights, somebody on board better be proficient at instrument flying. Then there are the issues of being an instructor struggling to get control of the aircraft from a student that won't let go. Apparently...it happens on occasion.

Glad I avoided the instructor route.
My first (& only) flight to CYGD was for the night-rating requirement as well, but my instructor at the time was well trained on instruments with the IFR rating. He allowed me to approach rwy 14 all by myself giving only good verbal cues on pitch/power requirements. I guess we built that "trust" flying together over so many months but he was also an excellent instructor. Even with all that, I bounced as I touched down on the runway first, eventually eased the plane on the surface and did a touch-and-go. I honestly think CYGD is not a good place to do someone's first ever night x-country. I'd rather go to a controlled airport in or around a city.

I couldn't go the instructor route myself - too much of a control freak if flying with someone who has never seen the cockpit up close.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

It can get very "black" out over the lake on a rwy 32 departure at Goderich. Normal prevailing winds have landings and takeoffs on rwy 32. On the night in question anyone know what winds were? either a departure out over the lake and crosswind turn over the lake? or a base to final turn out over the lake?. Condolences to all involved. There are things to be taught about the "black hole". And experience teaches a lot, but in goderich I would take a 3 or 4 knot tailwind and takeoff on 14 to keep some lights in view if I was trying to stack the deck in my favour...
fly safe....

geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

Reports mentioned that people saw the aircraft in distress, no?

whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

I think Goderich is an excellent place for dual cross country, 2 licensed pilots onboard, good weather,
Training needs to prepare pilots for actual conditions.
This may not even be a factor in this accident so I'll leave it for another thread. But there's no reason to avoid Goderich.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

whistlerboy02 wrote:I think Goderich is an excellent place for dual cross country, 2 licensed pilots onboard, good weather,
Training needs to prepare pilots for actual conditions.
This may not even be a factor in this accident so I'll leave it for another thread. But there's no reason to avoid Goderich.
Agree. I did my night rating (maybe even PPL) using that, taking off from 32. Had my "oh crap" moment. But training needs to encompass realism.

My least favorite is runway 9 at rockcliffe on a cloudy night, cause only first half of the runway is even lighted. Lift off and all lighting disappears.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

I don't agree that just because certain situations exist, i.e pitch black departure over a lake, that they need to be trained for. Good pilot decision making actually means that you avoid the kind of situations which have proven to be killers.

Night VFR flight is taken far too lightly by many pilots, in my opinion. Sadly the requirements for ATPL licensing encourages the least experienced to be the ones who do a lot of it. As an experienced pilot, mentor or Instructor I think it is important for any of us to stress making night VFR flights as safe as possible and doing flights in challenging/dangerous situations or areas adds nothing of benefit to compensate for the increased risk.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Class 5 so the TSB will never put out a report. While a definite cause may never have been found anyways for a situation like this.....the only lesson most of us will have learned(or reviewed) is what is on this thread. Useful information which may or may not be reflective of what happened. That is the reality of the majority of aircraft accidents/incidents.

"C-FHPU, a privately operated Cessna 150J aircraft, was on a VFR flight from Brampton-Caledon, ON (CNC3) to Goderich, ON (CYGD) and return to CNC3 with two persons on board. C-FHPU was last observed on radar at 0036 UTC at an altitude of 1800 feet, approximately 1.1 nautical miles East of CYGD. The aircraft was later located in Georgian Bay, heavily damaged and submerged. The two occupants were fatally injured."

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Class 5 so the TSB will never put out a report
Yes, this seems to be a trend with the TSB. Ten years ago, a single fatal accident which crossed my life was heavily investigated by the TSB, and a comprehensive report issued. But the TSB investigator who investigated the accident I was involved in over the summer told me that the two fatal accident involving my friend in the spring would also not be reported.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

It would be nice to know if the TSB is actually requesting(or should be demanding) more money from our spendthrift government or if they are just accepting whatever amount is given to them without question.

Trudeau is setting aside 100 million dollars for more compensation of past wrongs and gave 10 million to a convicted terrorist. How abut some more for the TSB.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”