Can you wobble while landing?

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Can you wobble while landing?

Post by phillyfan »

Its OK pelmet. This thing is so far off topic I had to look back at the original post to find out what the hell we were even talking about.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Cat Driver wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:37 pm
Is it important? I don’t know. But it was important enough for Cat to make it a “I refuse to employ pilots who,” thing. Clearly important to him.
O.K. let me be clear on what I meant.

It never ceases to amaze me how many pilots use both hands on the control column to flare and land, especially in multi engine airplanes. And they also use both hands on the control column to rotate and in the initial climb out

So, yes I personally would not hire anyone who operates an airplane that way.

Is that clear enough photofly?
Yes, thanks, very clear. For what it's worth, I don't use two hands on the control column to take off, flare or land.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Well, when I read the OP, I thought this was about wobbling a beaver (giggity).
But there was posts about SOPs, tiller steering, and two crew ops.
A thread drift that we may need pdw to come on here to explain the factors involved.

So. PF. My “dig” as you referenced it, was to the FTU instructors who think that all planes have mixture and prop,controls...and thus spout off truisms like mixture, pitch, power...
Which, even if that does apply does not explain where the throttle hand is. I am genuinely curious as to what you do with the hand you so studiously avoid keeping on the throttles.
No need to detail any body parts that you attend to with it, if that is the case.

Now, my old memory about flying a beaver. Paw on the throttle on takeoff and landing phases.
...except for dealing with flaps selection or pumping, or the pesky ceiling trim wheel.
The balance of the time, I generally recall resting my hand on the pedestal and putting my fingers on the base of the throttle lever. In short, if there was nothing else to do with thAt hand it was always close to the throttle. Maybe I am the only pilot that has dealt with a wind gust, or lost lift coming down over the trees into a lake.

As an aside to the aside of two hands on the control column. A beaver seems to me, to actually get lighter on the controls as you slow it down. Takes didly pressure to pitch. I cannot imagine why anyone would hold the control column with both hands. I suppose one has to do something though, with the “ I dont touch the throttle” hand.

Been some time since I flew a beaver though, so maybe my memory is incorrect.

Lastly. Pelmet is one of the posters that genuinely goes through accident reports to glean nuggets of wisdom, not to jump onto the latest accident bandwagon and bemoan that the final report is not on twitter in 7 mins. I appreciate his posts

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

trey kule wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm I am genuinely curious as to what you do with the hand you so studiously avoid keeping on the throttles.
It depends on who’s sitting in the other seat.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

trey kule wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm Well, when I read the OP, I thought this was about wobbling a beaver (giggity).
But there was posts about SOPs, tiller steering, and two crew ops.
A thread drift that we may need pdw to come on here to explain the factors involved.
This reminds me of the Red and Green show .. remember the quiz towards the end of an episode where the contestant's responses are all over the place and then SURPRISE, the correct answer is stumbled upon purely by brainfart.

Factors ? ..Maybe here it's that innocent word W O B B L E which Pelmet has masterfully inserted right into the middle of the opening question, that can get the credit for the drifting nature of this thread. :D

Must say, it has yielded some distinguished input; even got me thinking about the little wobble primer pumps on all the old farm tractors and what a pain that was pumping and pumping in the cold until running smoothly again after running out of diesel (no fuel gauges).

Ohh .. and what are those finger divets for on both sides of what looks like a two handed yoke ?

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

pdw wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:01 pm Ohh .. and what are those finger divets for on both sides of what looks like a two handed yoke ?
In a beaver, it’s so you can hold the controls with your right hand and your dart in the left, with the window down a crack to evacuate the smoke.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Your point is that the PIC is in charge of an aircraft, ... that he or she is in charge of keeping it under control.

The early yokes were no different from an ordinary automotive steering wheel, with the handprints symetrically positioned on either side of centre (as if anyone will actually drive a long down a road with both hands situated left and right like that :roll: ) the way driving instructors insisted ... (or you didn't pass the test).

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

It could be so when the yolk is flipped over to the right seat, then that driver can use their right hand on the control column and the left hand for the throttle/pitch/mixture controls

DonutHole
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DonutHole »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 pm
peterdillon wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:01 pm The main pumps on lots of Beavers are the originals and 60 years old so yes they do quit. Lots now have the STC for the electric pump as a third backup. The wobble pump is kind of low on the centre console which makes it difficult to look out over the engine to land while the other had is down by your foot. Wouldn't dream of not having my hand on the throttle for take off and landing on floats or skis. The most memorable was coming into a small glassy water lake as it was getting dark. Made a turn at low altitude on final approach (bad move) and wasn't aware I was still drifting till I touched the water. The left wing was just about to hit the water at the same time I opened the tap. Ended up being a non event but I can assure you there was no time to reach for anything. In float or ski operations with Beavers and 185's etc unless its rough water or some other special conditions I always short final approach with take off flap and prop in fine pitch and hand on the throttle. There are conditions in bush ops that sometimes require instant action.
Nothing wrong with running your car with the cruise control engaged on ice either I guess. If you feel it start to skid just reach over and shut it off.
Are you sure that -2 that you've flown with an STC for an electric fuel pump also relatained the old wobble pump?

News to me as ALL of the STC'ed modified -2's I've flown without a wobble fuel pump didn't have one as part of the STC!!!

As to promote dialogue as far as this thread is concerned...

I thought all "the old timers" stories about "wobbling my way home" were hearsay... until it happened to me.

I was ready to "dead stick it" but fortunately had an able bodied and very understanding right seat passenger. The event in itself was non eventful.
That fuel pump was also not the original, in fact, I highly doubt you would find an 'original' EDP in a beaver as they are overhauled at engine tbo. Your pump had less than 100 hours tso.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”