Hydro Helicopter Tweed

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

CFWGF
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hydro Helicopter Tweed

Post by CFWGF »

http://www.quintenews.com/2017/12/updat ... ed/164511/

Terrible News. My condolences to the family and all affected.
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Hydro Helicopter Tweed

Post by rookiepilot »

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

There is a go fund me for this sad event.
www.gofundme.com/HydroOneTragedy

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

anofly wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:25 pm There is a go fund me for this sad event.
I am pleased to see support for the families.

Much more gently than I would like to express -- I'd be far more pleased to see no need for such a fund --- as Hydro One would have taken care of it.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:56 pm
anofly wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:25 pm There is a go fund me for this sad event.
I am pleased to see support for the families.

Much more gently than I would like to express -- I'd be far more pleased to see no need for such a fund --- as Hydro One would have taken care of it.
Agreed - it's great to see the families being supported. That said, I'm not sure how or why you'd conclude that a union-sponsored gofundmepage means that Hydro One is not providing its own direct support. Unless you have some inside information you can share here with the rest of us?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Yyz Saab,

I do not know. That is why I raised the question.

------------

All I expressed was the sentiment that I sincerely hoped they would be well taken care of by the company. It was --- Not the invitation for debate on this kind of forum. :roll:

Last edited by rookiepilot on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Nope, I have no idea. If I was interested, though, I'd have simply asked the question without implying, as you did, that Hydro One wasn't taking care of its people.

BTW, if Hydro One is providing support to the families, which would of course be the right thing to do, let's hope they can do so discreetly and professionally, without yet another self-serving corporate press release or video patting themselves on the back for a job well done. There's a time and a place for halo publicity, and this ain't it.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

wow, this is fun.
The coworkers (yes union brothers and sisters, and coworkers that are not union represented) wish to show support to the families of the folks that were killed in an industrial accident. I doubt Hydro one will be posting exactly what kind of support the families are getting from them. I doubt any of the airlines will post exactly what the families of folks killed working for them ,get in support. Lets try to be respectful to the families, friends and the coworkers. I am sure there are other forums for expressing political opinions about business , both big and small....

EastCoastWings
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EastCoastWings »

Tool bag may have caused Ont. chopper crash: TSB
RICHMOND HILL, Ont. - The Transportation Safety Board says evidence suggests a tool bag being carried outside a Hydro One helicopter struck the rear rotor of the aircraft just prior to a crash in eastern Ontario that killed all four people on board.

The TSB says shortly before Dec. 14 crash near Tweed, Ont., the pilot picked up three linemen at the base of a tower and was transporting them to a nearby staging area.

It says a few bags used for carrying tools and supplies were being carried on a platform extending out of the right side of the helicopter. It says the bags are normally secured with double-lock carabiners.

The TSB told a news conference Thursday in Richmond Hill, Ont., that investigators found a heavily damaged white canvas bag, with a damaged carabiner attached, and the tip of a tail rotor blade more than 600 metres away from the crash site.

The agency also says two of the three passengers seatbelts were unfastened and it says all three passengers "became separated" from the helicopter while it was still airborne.

It says weather is not being considered a factor in the crash.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/to ... -1.3731542

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

I'm shocked that something like this would happen. All from a loose bag. JFC.

Brock_Landers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Brock_Landers »

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

Wow.
That really sucks.
Such a small oversight can be so unforgiving in an environment like this.
My deepest condolences to family and friends.

Andy

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

Apparently TSB is set to release the report today, in advance, CBC has the following:
Father of helicopter crash victim hopes report will clear son's name
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/t ... -1.5339619

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

While securing the cargo and practicing proper seat belt requirements were discussed during the pilot's briefing in the morning, the report said it was left up to the workers to see those things through.
So the occupants of the helicopter were given a briefing that morning, and I'm confident asked if they had any questions following that briefing, and then overlooked doing two of the things that they were briefed to do. I opine that most adult could imagine that it would be a good idea to be belted into a helicopter in flight, and if in doubt, recall that being included in the morning briefing.

There is a basic expectation of behaviour which one should follow in their own interest of safety, seatbelts are about item one.....

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

PilotDAR wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:48 am There is a basic expectation of behaviour which one should follow in their own interest of safety, seatbelts are about item one.....
I agree wholeheartedly but if there's one thing I've seen too many times, especially with relatively young / experienced workers, it's they're vulnerability to cutting corners when production pressures are placed on their shoulders. I'm willing to bet the lack of seatbelt use had become normalized in that operation, maybe even the same for failing to secure the tool bags in the basket.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Not to hijack this too much, but have you noticed how most crew riding in a shuttle don’t wear their seatbelts? I find this equally odd, especially when we are hurtling around the streets of Montreal....

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

cutting corners when production pressures are placed on their shoulders
In this case, it was the opposite of that. The three crew in the back were being positioned back to the staging area as a courtesy, to save them the walk through the snowy bush. A thoughtful gesture by the pilot, which came back to bite him. The time taken to put seatbelts on would still have been much less than the time to walk back.

It irks me no end, when I see people overlooking obvious protection. TV reality shows in which car occupants don't wear seatbelts, or small boat occupants don't wear lifejackets. When I'm training the fire department drivers, a wheel does not turn without seatblets on, and you're not getting within ten feet of the boats without a lifejacket on. A), 'cause it's a good idea, and B), 'cause the public may be watching, and a good example must be set.

I know that Hydro One has had a culture revisit on points illuminated by the TSB, it didn't take their report to make the message loud and clear!

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

So tragic.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Donald wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:33 pm Not to hijack this too much, but have you noticed how most crew riding in a shuttle don’t wear their seatbelts? I find this equally odd, especially when we are hurtling around the streets of Montreal....
I'm typically the only person that wears a seat belt in the crew bus. Despite most of these people's job being about getting people to wear their seat belt. Remember that their flailing bodies could injury or kill you. Similar to how these workers killed the pilot with their negligence.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”