TSB investigating after 2 private jets crash on the ground at Winnipeg airport

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: TSB investigating after 2 private jets crash on the ground at Winnipeg airport

Post by pelmet »

complexintentions wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:43 pm Well, yes. And no. On our aircraft we cannot physically see our wingtips so we do have to depend on marshallers, wing walkers, and electronic guidance systems. If they give faulty guidance there are definitely situations where we'll hit things without being able to prevent it. Not sure how you could claim that we "messed up" in such a situation.
Misleading at best.....

In the end, it is really just good judgement and average skill that is required. The idea that not being able to see your wingtips means that you "have to depend on marshallers" is not entirely true. I have been on a tight-spaced ramp plenty of times in an aircraft with no wingtips visible from the cockpit where a 180 degree turn was required. It was a regular stop for us with aircraft parked very close to where we were maneuvering and no marshaller available for guidance until you have turned around and are facing him at which point you finally get some marshalling for the least risky portion of the entire parking maneuver....straight to the final stopping point. Meanwhile there have been wing clearance issues and blast issues during the majority of the maneuver into the ramp that was done without the marshaller.

Bottom line(and to clarify), there are operations and situations out there on a regular basis where aircraft having wingtips their pilot can't see are maneuvering in relatively confined locations. Admittedly, this is normally airlines at smaller airports or business jets on tight ramps intead of the widebodies which seem to have mostly major airport/airline style taxi-in situations. And depending on the situation, these aircraft do not necessarily require marshallers for all maneuvering in confined areas as was stated earlier. If things look tight, then most of us have stopped at one point and gotten help. There may be a lot more to this incident than simply misjudging wing clearance.

Speaking about the standard parking at the gate maneuver, I do try to remember to look for the aircraft type on the electronic guidance and that the ramp is clear even if being marshalled/guided in. Here is what can happen if you completely "depend" on marshalling/signals and don't take a look for stuff accidentally left on the ramp(usually inside angled yellow demarcation lines)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu2xQLEE8a4
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by pelmet on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: TSB investigating after 2 private jets crash on the ground at Winnipeg airport

Post by anofly »

it says control was lost. i wonder if the cessna steering failed? one pic seemed to show like heavy frost on the ground? or was i dreaming?
sad day any which way you look at it....

upnatem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by upnatem »

Thanks "linecrew", you've made me realize the error of my ways - and I feel shame. I will no longer expect pilots to look out the windows while taxiing and make sure they aren't going to hit anything with their aircraft.

If you happened to be the guy marshalling him I hope you gave him a big hug and told him it wasn't his fault.

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

So, to recap, upandatem, ....definitely not a brake failure, definitely pilot distraction?

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

CADORS Number:
2018C1455
Occurrence Summary
Date Entered:
2018-04-20
Narrative:
An American privately registered Cessna 550 and a Morningstar Partners Bombardier CL-600-2B16 (C-FXWT) collided on an uncontrolled apron at Winnipeg/James Armstrong Richardson Int'l, MB (CYWG). One of the aircraft began to leak fuel and Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) responded. Apron 2 was closed by the airport authority. No operational impact.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

pelmet wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:57 pm
complexintentions wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:43 pm Well, yes. And no. On our aircraft we cannot physically see our wingtips so we do have to depend on marshallers, wing walkers, and electronic guidance systems. If they give faulty guidance there are definitely situations where we'll hit things without being able to prevent it. Not sure how you could claim that we "messed up" in such a situation.
Misleading at best.....

In the end, it is really just good judgement and average skill that is required. The idea that not being able to see your wingtips means that you "have to depend on marshallers" is not entirely true. I have been on a tight-spaced ramp plenty of times in an aircraft with no wingtips visible from the cockpit where a 180 degree turn was required. It was a regular stop for us with aircraft parked very close to where we were maneuvering and no marshaller available for guidance until you have turned around and are facing him at which point you finally get some marshalling for the least risky portion of the entire parking maneuver....straight to the final stopping point. Meanwhile there have been wing clearance issues and blast issues during the majority of the maneuver into the ramp that was done without the marshaller.

Bottom line(and to clarify), there are operations and situations out there on a regular basis where aircraft having wingtips their pilot can't see are maneuvering in relatively confined locations. Admittedly, this is normally airlines at smaller airports or business jets on tight ramps intead of the widebodies which seem to have mostly major airport/airline style taxi-in situations. And depending on the situation, these aircraft do not necessarily require marshallers for all maneuvering in confined areas as was stated earlier. If things look tight, then most of us have stopped at one point and gotten help. There may be a lot more to this incident than simply misjudging wing clearance.

Speaking about the standard parking at the gate maneuver, I do try to remember to look for the aircraft type on the electronic guidance and that the ramp is clear even if being marshalled/guided in. Here is what can happen if you completely "depend" on marshalling/signals and don't take a look for stuff accidentally left on the ramp(usually inside angled yellow demarcation lines)...

No, pelmet, my statement is not misleading in the slightest. As usual you are just talking out of your rear orifice.

There is no way we would ever be doing a 180 degree turn on any ramp as our operations don't permit it. Even on a runway, a 180 is a captain-only manoeuvre as it's considered higher-risk due to the turning radius. (You need a minimum of 185 feet of width, and that's standing on the inside brake with the mains planted along one edge - not much fun in the dark on a shitty night somewhere like MLE.) As such your little anecdote is completely irrelevant to my comments. And there is no way we "try to remember" to check the electronic guidance for proper type: if it's wrong, or not displayed, we are mandated to stop immediately and wait until it's either correctly displayed or a human marshaller is dispatched. We can't just taxi until the "final stopping point". All of this to say, it just doesn't sound like your operations resemble mine in the slightest. We absolutely DO require marshalling for ALL maneuvering in confined areas - contrary to your statement.

What type are you flying that you claim to not be able to see your wingtips from the cockpit? I don't think you really grasp what I mean by that. I mean there is no angle whatsoever from which any part of the wings are viewable from the cockpit of a B777, and the wingspan is 212 feet. I'm not talking about not being able to see them because it's dark, or they're too far away, or the sun is in my eyes. There is no possible way to see them. Judging distance with depth perception is a tad difficult if you can't see something. Using visible cues in a tight situation is a possibility in most types, every other one I've every flown, in fact. A poor idea in some situations, but at least a possibility. It simply isn't for us, and thus yes, we do have to depend heavily on marshallers/wing walkers, as I said, more than on other types. How is that "misleading"?

And, as you typically do, you've gone on a tangent to address things no one commented on, such as checking the area as you approach the stand. I guess it's just easier to win debates that you start with yourself? :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:54 am
pelmet wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:57 pm
Misleading at best.....

No, pelmet, my statement is not misleading in the slightest.

There is no way we would ever be doing a 180 degree turn on any ramp as our operations don't permit it. Even on a runway, a 180 is a captain-only manoeuvre as it's considered higher-risk due to the turning radius. (You need a minimum of 185 feet of width, and that's standing on the inside brake with the mains planted along one edge - not much fun in the dark on a shitty night somewhere like MLE.) As such your little anecdote is completely irrelevant to my comments. And there is no way we "try to remember" to check the electronic guidance for proper type: if it's wrong, or not displayed, we are mandated to stop immediately and wait until it's either correctly displayed or a human marshaller is dispatched. We can't just taxi until the "final stopping point". All of this to say, it just doesn't sound like your operations resemble mine in the slightest. We absolutely DO require marshalling for ALL maneuvering in confined areas - contrary to your statement.

What type are you flying that you claim to not be able to see your wingtips from the cockpit? I don't think you really grasp what I mean by that. I mean there is no angle whatsoever from which any part of the wings are viewable from the cockpit of a B777, and the wingspan is 212 feet. I'm not talking about not being able to see them because it's dark, or they're too far away, or the sun is in my eyes. There is no possible way to see them. Judging distance with depth perception is a tad difficult if you can't see something. Using visible cues in a tight situation is a possibility in most types, every other one I've every flown, in fact. A poor idea in some situations, but at least a possibility. It simply isn't for us, and thus yes, we do have to depend heavily on marshallers/wing walkers, as I said, more than on other types. How is that "misleading"?

And, as you typically do, you've gone on a tangent to address things no one commented on, such as checking the area as you approach the stand. I guess it's just easier to win debates that you start with yourself? :mrgreen:
Sorry, your statement "On our aircraft we cannot physically see our wingtips so we do have to depend on marshallers, wing walkers, and electronic guidance systems" could easily mislead someone. Not because I doubt that you are using marshallers, etc but because the statement can be easily interpreted as....if you can't see your wingtips then marshallers, guidance systems, etc are a requirement. That may not be what you meant but that is how it could easily be interpreted. Nitpicking? perhaps but there are a lot of lower experienced pilots here who may wrongly interpret your statements, therefore I am clarifying.

There are aircraft out there with the same issue of wingtips not visible from the cockpit that are doing maneuvering in confined areas as I have seen first hand many times. There are no doubt plenty of other swept-wing jets where you can't see the wingtips. I think you will find that this includes some business jets.

Being the accurate person that I am, you will also notice that I made a qualification in my earlier post that widebody jets typically are marshalled into wherever they park. But remember, you can see the wingtips from the cockpit on some of these big jets, even the biggest:) so the reason for them always being marshalled goes beyond not being able to see wingtips.

Getting back to this incident, I suppose one can see their wingtips in a Citation aircraft like the one in the ramp collision but who knows if there was a co-pilot. The right wingtip may not have been visible to the pilot in the left seat. Once again, there may be more to this story than just a error in estimating clearance by a pilot conscientious taxiing carefully.

As for my other information posted about the incident ....you can call it going off on a tangent to post information showing how an accident can happen while being marshalled into the gate but I call it spreading safety information and giving specific examples of how to prevent an accident right here on an accident/incident forum. That is my goal and I am confident that a comparison of my posts to yours would show much more real-world accident prevention information in my posts by far. While there are those out there who try to belittle such things, I will continue to post about such incidents and discuss preventing them. It is too important not to do so.

And just because no one has commented on a subject, it doesn't mean that it is not worthy to bring the subject up. The one I brought up(the so-called tangent) is related to this overall subject ie. collision during ramp ops. If not related, I will start a new thread. I noticed another post from you recently making a similar statement about the subjects in my posts. Feel free to set up yourself to block them if there is an issue.

....and Fly Safely.

Last edited by pelmet on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

upnatem wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:01 am Thanks "linecrew", you've made me realize the error of my ways - and I feel shame. I will no longer expect pilots to look out the windows while taxiing and make sure they aren't going to hit anything with their aircraft.

If you happened to be the guy marshalling him I hope you gave him a big hug and told him it wasn't his fault.
Your original post was extremely specific, accusatory and defaming and that is what I responded to. Your exact words were, "Program shit into your radios and screens before you start to move the aircraft!!".

My retort was not about the issue of the pilot looking out the window or not, it was about you claiming that you knew the exact cause of the accident playing judge and jury. I don't dispute that the attention wasn't where it should have been, I'm saying you'r post showed poor judgement and clearly showed that you 'shot from the hip'.

Now you've turned you anger at me...hey, no worries. I have thick skin I understand that you might be going through some tough times, so carry on. Fire me a PM, if you like, so you don't further embarrass yourself in the open forum.

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

linecrew wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:25 am My retort was not about the issue of the pilot looking out the window or not, it was about you claiming that you knew the exact cause of the accident playing judge and jury.

I don't dispute that the attention wasn't where it should have been, I'm saying you'r post showed poor judgement and clearly showed that you 'shot from the hip'.
So mis-attention was the cause, Judge Linecrew?

Couldn't have been a brake failure?

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Cliff Jumper wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:31 pm
linecrew wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:25 am My retort was not about the issue of the pilot looking out the window or not, it was about you claiming that you knew the exact cause of the accident playing judge and jury.

I don't dispute that the attention wasn't where it should have been, I'm saying you'r post showed poor judgement and clearly showed that you 'shot from the hip'.
So mis-attention was the cause, Judge Linecrew?

Couldn't have been a brake failure?
Oh, go fornicate yourself.....

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

linecrew wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:49 pm Oh, go fornicate yourself.....
Sorry to upset you, I was just trying to point out the same thing as you were trying to point out.

That everyone is jumping to conclusions that they are sooooo certain of.

Status quo for Avcanada unfortunately.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

So if the brakes fail, brush another plane with the wing to slow down?

No thank you. I would risk getting fired for insubordination if that is company's SOP for brake failure.

upnatem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by upnatem »

linerew - I have no anger in me. I do have some sadness related to the state of aviation these days. As I said I am indebted to you for showing me the error of my ways. I certainly did say program your radios and such before taxiing, but anyone with more than a grade 3 education would realize in general that means "look outside" when the plane's moving. Now I realize, thanks to you, that an expectation such as that is foolish in this day and age, so I recant my position.

And I do genuinely hope the pilot got a hug to sooth his hurt feelings.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

" Occurrence Summary
Date Entered:
2018-04-25
Narrative:
UPDATE TSB Report #A18C0018: An American privately registered Cessna C550 Citation Bravo aircraft, was conducting a flight from Winnipeg/James Armstrong Richardson Intl, MB (CYWG) to Bedford/Laurence G Hanscom Field, MA (KBED). After starting the engines on Apron II at CYWG while under the guidance of a ground marshaller, C550 began to taxi for the departure. During the initial turn from the parking area, aircraft control was lost and C550's right wing collided with the nose gear of C-FXWT, a Bombardier CL-600-2B16 (Challenger 605) aircraft, which was parked. The pilot of C550 subsequently shutdown the aircraft and exited with the passenger without injuries. The right wing of C550 was substantially damaged, causing a fuel leak on the apron. The left wing of C-FXWT was also damaged in the collision by the nose of C550. Local 911 was advised of the collision and fuel leak. ARFF was dispatched to the site, and the fuel leak was contained. "

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

GyvAir wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:20 pm Occurrence Summary
Date Entered:
2018-04-25
Narrative:
" ....aircraft control was lost ...."
Unfortunately, no further detail.

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

I thought you all said the pilot wasn't looking outside??

That's a weird way to describe it.... maybe they meant the PIC lost control of his neck muscles.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

upnatem wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:07 pm
linecrew wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:41 pm
upnatem wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Yeah, pretty much. Let me know when you find out I'm wrong.
Sounds like you have the inside scoop...care to share with the rest of us?
Let's see.......clear day, middle of afternoon, taxis directly into (no wingtip brush here) a parked aircraft. How much "inside scoop" do you need to figure out they weren't looking outside.
Proof that sometimes spewing inflammatory speculation is unprofessional and poor form. It also makes you look bad in the eyes of your peers.

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-r ... 8c0018.asp

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

There are no shortage of clueless people who have no idea what they are talking about. Good example from Upnatem.

That being said, if you operate an aircraft with an emergency brake, it can be helpful to simulate what you should do on the event of a brake failure every once in a while.

Instinct may make you just try to apply more and more brake pressure, when this action has become useless instead of taking a different action.

Trust me, I have been there in a black ice situation leading to a vehicle incident.

Last edited by pelmet on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

pelmet wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:31 am There are no shortage of clueless people who have no idea what they are talking about. Good example here.

That being said, if you opérante an aircraft with an emergency brake, it can be helpful to simulate what you should do on the event of a brake failure every once in a while.

Instinct may make you just try to apply more and more brake pressure, when this action has become useless instead of taking a different action.

Trust me, I have been there in a black ice situation leading to a vehicle incident.
Oh great one, shit disturber of them all. Please regal us all with the lack lustre tail that you forgot to enlighten us with this time around....

I’ve set my parking break and await your witty response shortly!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:50 pm
pelmet wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:31 am There are no shortage of clueless people who have no idea what they are talking about. Good example here.

That being said, if you operate an aircraft with an emergency brake, it can be helpful to simulate what you should do on the event of a brake failure every once in a while.

Please regal us all with the lack lustre tail that you forgot to enlighten us with this time around....

I’ve set my parking break and await your witty response shortly!
Parking BREAK? REGAL us? Lack lustre TAIL?

Wow. At least you are good for a laugh, even when you have no idea why. Who needs to even try to be witty with you posting here. I doubt you could figure it out anyway.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”