3 cropdusters in 2 weeks.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

3 cropdusters in 2 weeks.

Post by FlyGy »

3 cropdusters in 2 weeks one fatal.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/mobile/pil ... -1.4012426
---------- ADS -----------

Flyboy19803
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 3 cropdusters in 2 weeks.

Post by Flyboy19803 »

I was working out of Nipawin and seen this plane takeoff the day before. Very sad.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

Indeed. I was wondering if it was any of those guys who had that show on ?history? Channel. They were based out of Nipawin if I recall.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

Crop spraying outfits have a get er done mentality. Fatigue likely played a role with an evening crash. This leads to accidents. Insurance covers the loss of plane and the pilot likely didn't have benefits with the outfit. Just another sad statistic. Very likely a low timer.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

:shock:

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Crop spraying outfits have a get er done mentality.
That is a rather insulting statement to the crop spraying industry.

How much crop spraying experience do you have to make that statement?

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

C.W.E. wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 pm
Crop spraying outfits have a get er done mentality.
That is a rather insulting statement to the crop spraying industry.

How much crop spraying experience do you have to make that statement?
A quick glance at his posts will tell you. And it is insulting. Some of the best pilots were/are crop dusters.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

A quick glance at his posts will tell you. And it is insulting.
And when a new poster makes ignorant insulting comments about professional people they need to be called out for the comments and asked to back up the claim.

Some of the best pilots were/are crop dusters.
Exactly and they also have to get an aerial applicators license which is not easy to get.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

Exactly and they also have to get an aerial applicators license which is not easy to get.
Just wondering, do you know if that requirement applies to flying farmers?

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:20 pm Crop spraying outfits have a get er done mentality. Fatigue likely played a role with an evening crash. This leads to accidents. Insurance covers the loss of plane and the pilot likely didn't have benefits with the outfit. Just another sad statistic. Very likely a low timer.
Not a low timer. Other gentleman i'm working with this summer gave him his first job back when he had his outfitting company.

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:20 pm Crop spraying outfits have a get er done mentality. Fatigue likely played a role with an evening crash. This leads to accidents. Insurance covers the loss of plane and the pilot likely didn't have benefits with the outfit. Just another sad statistic. Very likely a low timer.
Literally every sentence you just typed out is basically a pile of hypothetical crap. Be careful when you make bold, non factual and hurtful statements like this. You don’t know what you don’t know.

Wasp_Jr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wasp_Jr »

MrTurbine wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:04 pm
Literally every sentence you just typed out is basically a pile of hypothetical crap. Be careful when you make bold, non factual and hurtful statements like this. You don’t know what you don’t know.
Agreed. The aerial application business has come so far in the last 10-15 years and there are extremely professional operators out there now with the size of farms and complexity of aircraft increasing annually. The profession can't seem to shake the stigma of days gone buy because a lot of people who have know knowledge of the industry equate it to what was happening in the 50's.

Wasp_Jr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wasp_Jr »

FlyGy wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Just wondering, do you know if that requirement applies to flying farmers?
I don't know the exact fine print but anyone applying crop protection products buy air is required to have a aerial pesticide licence in their province of operation. Flying farmers are limited to spraying only within a 25nm circle of their farm. There are a few other restrictions also but I don't know them off the top of my head. You would be surprised at how many flying farmers we have in AB/MB/SK

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The aerial pesticide license came into effect in the early 1960's in Ontario.

I was operating an aerial crop spraying business in Ontario when the license requirement was initiated.

I went to Guelph Agricultural College for the license and was the first person to be issued with one in Ontario the license number was 0001.

As I recall it was in 1963, it has to be somewhere in my " stuff " collection but I can't find it. :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Wasp_Jr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wasp_Jr »

Cat Driver wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:24 pm The aerial pesticide license came into effect in the early 1960's in Ontario.

I was operating an aerial crop spraying business in Ontario when the license requirement was initiated.

I went to Guelph Agricultural College for the license and was the first person to be issued with one in Ontario the license number was 0001.

As I recall it was in 1963, it has to be somewhere in my " stuff " collection but I can't find it. :mrgreen:

That's along time ago! There would have barely been any purpose built ag aircraft in those days. I think the Callair and snow S2 were just barely in production around that time.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-GWRJ, a Thrush Aircraft Inc. S2R-H80 aircraft operated by Prairie Dusters, was engaged in agricultural aerial application 6 nm southwest of Russell, MB (CJW5). The pilot was performing east west pattern swath runs, and noticed that the winds and gusts had increased in strength since takeoff from CJW5. The pilot elected to return to CJW5 and wait for more favourable conditions.
During the flight back to CJW5, the winds and gusts increased in strength, and were from the west. The pilot considered diverting to Shoal Lake, MB (CKL5) for a more favourable runway, but decided to evaluate the rapidly changing wind conditions while attempting to land at CJW5. The touchdown on Runway 17 was made on one wheel initially, with a crosswind from the right. As the tail settled, the aircraft began to ground loop into the wind. The pilot attempted to control the aircraft with the brakes and added power in an attempt to abort the landing. Then the aircraft swung back to the left. As the aircraft was about to become airborne, the wheels contacted the surface of a slough. The aircraft came to rest inverted in a few feet of water. The pilot was submerged to chest level but was able to release the 5-point harness. With assistance from a pilot who had witnessed the crash, the pilot was able to release the emergency-exit latch and make an underwater egress from the aircraft. The pilot suffered minor injuries and the aircraft sustained substantial damage. The pilot had utilized a 5-point harness and was wearing a helmet.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-GMXO, a Cessna A188B Ag Truck aircraft operated by Clayton Air Service, had just completed a series of flights which involved applying fungicide to a flax field, East of Carrot River, SK, and was en route to the operator's mobile operations base at Arborfield, SK. The aircraft was reported overdue by ground personnel, and was later discovered in a wooded area, 8 nm East of Carrot River, SK. The aircraft had collided with terrain and trees, and was destroyed by a post-crash fire and impact forces. The pilot, the sole occupant, suffered fatal injuries. TSB investigators were deployed.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”