Otter crash

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

sunk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Otter crash

Post by sunk »

Anyone know what happened to the otter in the Baker Lake area?
---------- ADS -----------

round pounder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Otter crash

Post by round pounder »

You got a cador number?

TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

Any update on this?

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Is this the the one that was trying to land on a beach or something?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

"C-GBQC, a de Havilland DHC3T aircraft operated by Ookpik Aviation, began takeoff on the sandy shoreline of Parker Lake, NU with the pilot and one passenger onboard. During the takeoff roll, the aircraft ran out of shore line and went into the water. The right main gear was torn off and the aircraft came to a rest in an upright position. The pilot and passenger were not injured and the aircraft sustained substantial damage. It was reported that the sandy shoreline was very soft."

Remember seeing them up in Baker Lake a few years back.

Last edited by pelmet on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
round pounder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by round pounder »

I still cannot find a cador number for this one. Where did you find this narrative.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

I also did a CADORS search on Ookpik Aviation and found no incidents for this year (didn't search back further). Finally found it on the Aviation Safety Network:
http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 20180709-0

The entry references TSB A18C0062, but when I search on the TSB site, there is no such report. A Google search using both TSB number and Ookpik Aviation do not turn up anything (other than the same entry on the ASN in multiple languages). I can't believe that the media would miss the chance to talk about an aircraft accident. I wonder where the poster on the ASN got a copy of the narrative....

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

A close call recently, pilot appears to have handled the engine out situation successfully......

C-FPEN, a de Havilland DHC-3T equipped with tundra tires and operated by Ookpik Aviation Inc.,
was conducting a flight from Ferguson Lake NU to Baker Lake (CYBK) NU. During cruise flight at
approximately 53 NM north east of Ferguson Lake, the pilot noticed the engine (TPE331-
10R-511C) began to surge. The pilot turned on the continuous ignition, fuel pump and confirmed
the fuel quantity in the front and center fuel tanks and the surging subsided. After approximately 30
seconds the engine started to surge again and quit. The pilot attempted to restart the engine on a
different fuel tank but was unsuccessful. A forced landing was carried out on an esker with no
damage to the aircraft and no injuries to the pilot and one passenger.
The operator's maintenance is inspecting the aircraft and has removed the engine.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”