K country crash

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: K country crash

Post by Squaretail »

jakeandelwood wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:35 pm I'm a little behind but how did the investigators know all the engine parameters leading up to the accident? Did it have one of those data recording engine monitors? I'll bet he wished he had another pilot in the cockpit with him to help out.
The report states the aircraft was equipped with a JPI edm, as well as the video recording system which was partly able to see the engine instruments.

The o2 system is simply a tank with a mask. Put mask on, open valve. By the way I read the report I took it to read that he wasn’t wearing the mask the entirety of the time. It does state that the mask type he was using did not have a integral mike.
---------- ADS -----------

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I see, that info from the engine monitor must be gold to the investigators

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

The bottom line is a mishandling of an engine power loss. The reason for the power loss is unknown. Hypoxia may have been at least partly responsible for the mishandling.

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

To me the Manifold Pressure trace looks a lot like an out of rig throttle quadrant, as he was reducing MP he got to a point around 24” they were both matched up nicely then as he reduced more the right starts to reduce quicker than the left, at about 18” gets them matched up again for a second then for some reason adds power to the left to 22” and reduces the right to 16” stays stabilized for 50 seconds or so then some increases in the left until cloud break, both throttles get chopped to idle (are matched up from 12” and below, power comes back up on both engines rapidly and matched to the end of recording at 16”. This seems to me to show a split throttle lever from 24”-12” on power reduction maybe that coupled with hypoxia confused him, he fixated on that problem and lost SA.
Just my initial thoughts reading that report.

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

To me the issues with engine power are nothing more than a symptom of the hypoxia. His cognitive ability was impaired to the point he couldn’t see what was happening.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:37 pm To me the issues with engine power are nothing more than a symptom of the hypoxia. His cognitive ability was impaired to the point he couldn’t see what was happening.
Do you mean he misidentified something as being an engine failure when it was not a failure or created a failure or something else.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”