Who has the right of way when taxiing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Who has the right of way when taxiing

Post by pelmet »

"C-GAQL, an Airbus 319-100 aircraft operated by Air Canada, was conducting flight ACA585 from Newark/Liberty Intl, NJ (KEWR) to Calgary Intl, AB (CYYC) with 5 crew members and 107 passengers on board. During the taxi segment for a departure off Runway 22R at KEWR, the flight crew was authorized via Taxiways Alpha, Sierra, and to hold short of Yankee for an intersection departure at Whiskey. While approaching Taxiway Kilo on Sierra, the flight crew noticed a Boeing 757 aircraft operated by United Airlines coming from their left, and had to apply brakes to give way as the B757 was not stopping. The closest distance between the two aircraft was estimated to be approximately 80 feet. ATC was queried about the incident, and responded by asking the flight crew to contact Clearance for a change of routing. The flight carried on to destination without further incident."

Had the same thing about two weeks ago in a light twin down on Long Island. Taxiing to runway 19 from the official run-up area and here comes a 172 from an angle at my 4:30 position and he ain't slowing down from his fairly quick pace so I stopped. Then he blocked the entrance to the runway for his run-up with me paying three dollars a minute for the aircraft. Instructor knows the pilot and says that he is just like that.

But it does make me wonder who had the right of way? Not sure actually, maybe no one does. I guess sometimes ATC is busy or just figures that we can figure it out. I don't know if I would forward something like this to the safety board but the AC guys definitely did the right thing.

Who does have the right of way on the ground? I know landing aircraft exiting the runway should be given priority.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Who has the right of way when taxiing

Post by photofly »

Same as in the air: the aircraft on the right, has the right.

If the other dude was approaching you from the right he had right of way. (He still sounds like a douche, though.)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

"Who does have the right of way on the ground? "

I do.

:mrgreen:

"Almost anywhere, almost anytime...worldwide(ish)"
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Pro tip:
Blocking the runway when doing your extensive run - up makes you a knob. Get out of the way.

Easily as bad as "ACTPA"

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

why is that a “pro” tip?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:05 pm Same as in the air: the aircraft on the right, has the right.

If the other dude was approaching you from the right he had right of way.
I have to admit that I thought that the right of way rules applied to the air only. I don't disbelieve you but is there anything written in the CAR's/FAR's that specifically mentions that the right of way rules apply on the ground as well?

Thanks

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Nothing mentions on the ground, but the right of way rules don't specify "in the air" either. They say that "When two aircraft are converging at approximately the same altitude, the pilot-in-command of the aircraft that has the other on its right shall give way..."

If you're both taxiing on the ramp I'd say for sure you were both "at approximately the same altitude" :-)

Note: I guess that means if you're in a powered aircraft you should give way to taxiing gliders and balloons too :=D

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Basic airmanship / common sense. Slow down, use radio, ask ATC, etc. Not really rocket science. Unfortunately many people lack basic airmanship and common sense!

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:58 pm why is that a “pro” tip?
Need to recognize tongue in cheek. It's a Twitter term

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You use Twitter!?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

photofly wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:35 pm You use Twitter!?
I thought everyone did

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:35 pm You use Twitter!?
It's his Trump card...

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

If it's a controlled surface, ATC dictates who has right of way. If you're a dead tie with someone else and you haven't been instructed to hold short/give way or been told the other aircraft is giving way to you, it's a good idea to proceed with caution and/or clarify with ATC.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”