Beware if they are over the white line

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Beware if they are over the white line

Post by pelmet »

This is all aircraft size dependent but in some of aircraft, you can't even see your wingtips from the cockpit. In many ways at the big airports, that white line at the edge of the taxiway or ramp area is your protection. You are taxiing into a congested gate or on a cargo ramp or in some cases even on a taxiway near a terminal and wondering if your wingtip will clear the tail of the other aircraft. You know it will but it sure seems close. I like to look at where the parked planes are located relative to the white line. If they are hanging over the white line, you may have a clearance problem. One of our crews thought they could taxi past an aircraft holding short of the gate and hit their tail. Big time media news. Almost the same situation as what happened here from copilot saying all clear to nosewheel was on the centerline to other aircraft holding short of the gate.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Repor ... l&IType=CA

The 737 crew ignored the fact that the 767's tail was over the white line. If you are going into a gate or on a taxiway designed for your aircraft but it looks tight, you might want a marshaller if something significant is onto the active side of the white line(ie. wait or get a marshaller). Or the other day it happened to us with an aircraft that had been pushed back. So we confirmed clearance with that crew. Paranoia, I know but........I would hate to put a wingtip through their window.
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Beware if they are over the white line

Post by pelmet »

Found video of the incident. In a way, the video makes it look an AC Airbus was on his way to doing the same thing as well(although they had plenty of clearance). Would have been strange to have two aircraft hit you at the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waqT1m4SWQw

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

Is it bad that all I can hear in my head is the Benny Hill theme?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

pelmet wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:35 pm Found video of the incident. In a way, the video makes it look an AC Airbus was on his way to doing the same thing as well(although they had plenty of clearance). Would have been strange to have two aircraft hit you at the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waqT1m4SWQw
The 767 had been towed in by the time the AC 320 taxied by.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”