Plane with 2 aboard missing between Chilliwack and Edmonton

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Plane with 2 aboard missing between Chilliwack and Edmonton

Post by AirFrame »

CpnCrunch wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:55 am...And just because they don't have to provide conflict resolution for VFR to VFR traffic in class C doesn't mean they don't. Generally they will...
True, they will... Usually. The catch is that they don't *have* to, and when it gets busy, VFR traffic is the first to get ignored. This isn't usually a problem, but what it does is reinforce the (incorrect) assumption that they are watching out for you at all times.
---------- ADS -----------

charrois
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by charrois »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:47 am My SPOT runs every time I fly, broadcasts every 5 minutes, and is posted to a website live. That can't be done without a cost. If Flightaware was doing that for every VFR ADS-B aircraft, it wouldn't surprise me if their costs go up... Someone has to pay them.
Actually, it does. Or at least it can. I fly VFR all the time, and when I sign in (free account), it gives me access to "position only" flights. All my flights have position data recorded by them, sent by ADS-B ground stations feeding Flightaware, about once every 20 seconds (a lot more frequent than every 5 minutes). If I get flight following (which I usually do on longer cross countries), it also shows my position as resolved by ATC radar if I'm in an area without ADS-B ground station coverage. If you're not seeing VFR ADS-B flight information on Flightaware, you probably just have to turn on "position only" flight viewing. From what I can see, the only thing missing as opposed to an IFR flight is it doesn't know your flight plan.
AirFrame wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:47 am I don't know if it's part of that project or not, but there is a project to build ADS-B ground stations based on the Stratux hardware... Shorter range (30-70 mi) but with a few distributed around metro areas and some points along major routes we could grow a system as useful as the US one.
Now, if this is a plan to "emulate" the US traffic and weather uplink in Canada that would be a really cool idea, and I'd definitely be interested in contributing. Do you have a name for the project?

Though I imagine there might be some hurdles - collecting ADS-B out data from aircraft is one thing with receive-only hardware - to transmit on the UAT uplink frequency would probably require station licenses, etc.

Its What I do
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Its What I do »

Its very sad when these episodes happen .
With modern technology it shouldnt happen.

WWW.SPIDERTRACKS.COM

Real time tracking .

Condolences to all effected ..

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

"C-GFPK, a privately registered Van’s RV 6 A aircraft, was conducting a flight from Edmonton/Parkland (CPL6), AB to Chilliwack (CYCW), BC with 2 persons on board. The aircraft departed CPL6 at 10:03 Mountain Time (MT) with a flight planned route from CPL6 to Hinton/Jasper-Hinton (CEC4), AB, Valemount (CAH4), BC, Kamloops (CYKA), BC, and finally CYCW. The last known position was calculated using a cellular phone location that was received at 12:29 Pacific Time (PT) in the vicinity of Blue River (CYCP), BC. The aircraft had approximately 4 hours of fuel onboard. The 121.5 MHz ELT did not transmit a signal. The aircraft was reported overdue at the destination airport. A search was initiated, and was discontinued by the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC) after seven days. The aircraft's location remains unknown at this time"

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

pelmet wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:40 am... The last known position was calculated using a cellular phone location that was received at 12:29 Pacific Time (PT) in the vicinity of Blue River (CYCP), BC. ...
That's a little misleading. They didn't get a cell phone *location*, they received a ping from a cell phone tower. Which means that a cell phone tower in the vincinity of Blue River received a check-in from the phone, which would put it somewhere within range of that tower. That could be a rather large circle. The towers don't receive a lat/long from the phone.

Sadly, that airplane now is lost at least until the spring thaw.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”