Cirrus Driver should have pulled the chute

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Cirrus Driver should have pulled the chute

Post by mosky »

Lucky this guy didn't get himself killed trying to handspike this Cirrus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KpOg9Ci284

Not sure what the passenger was doing in there before he fell off the wing either. Tough to man the brakes or throttle when you're sitting on the wing.
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Cirrus Driver should have pulled the chute

Post by pelmet »

There are a lot of incompetent pilots in general aviation and this is a good example. He could have easily killed someone.

Situations can vary for handpropping but look at this situation. First of all, it is not legal with no one at the controls but if you insist on doing it, start thinking about what you are going to do and how to go about it. Tiedowns look to be far away and chocks may be too big for an aircraft with wheelpants like this aircraft. Why not at least put the parking brake on and check it prior to swinging the prop by pushing firmly on the leading edge of the wing to ensure that it is actually engaged. Usually when the aircraft starts moving it is because the engine wouldn't start with the throttle near closed and was therefore subsequently opened significantly. That is when it is becoming very dangerous as an engine starting at idle(with the friction set tight on the throttle) will not move the way this aircraft did.

The passenger may not be a pilot or particularly able but they can no doubt be told several times to pull on the throttle lever once the engine is running(and that there could be a lot of noise) or even the red knob if the aircraft starts moving quickly. Seems more effective than jumping out of the aircraft like this pax did. the fuel selector could be positioned to off as a precaution as well but who knows how long it will take to run out of fuel.

I have handpropped several types but only one type with no one else around. A Champ which remained tied down until the engine was started. Especially if you have to open the throttle significantly to get it running, better have a plan B.

Last edited by pelmet on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

Not tied down, no one at the controls no chocks, no park brake, and to add insult to injury, he runs in front of a spinning prop when he could have just jumped into the plane from the right side. Darwin award of the year no doubt. This proves that not all wealthy people got there with their intelligence ! Boggles the mind !

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aeroncasuperchief »

Additionally, he damaged someone else's hangar, made insurance more expensive for the rest of us and could have killed someone. Maybe in the court of law , he could be charged a few hundred thousand due to negligence to teach him a lesson !

laminar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by laminar »

I find this so frustrating how idiots like this can own an aircraft worth more than my house. Where did I go wrong with my life choices? :D

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

WOW! Simply WOW! What an idiot!

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

Maybe this guy is related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeTM-paAXCo

Go figure. This is not the first time this has happened......

Seems people don't learn from other's mistakes. Even from before the days of Youtube.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Those are better with Yakity Sax playing. Maybe I just watched too much Benny Hill as a teen.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

It is interesting in the Cirrus accident how the prop blast made it difficult for the pilot to open the door to get inside.

As for the Cessna video...I would recommend staying far away as possible from a situation like that as it is not worth risking serious injury to try and save this guy who placed everyone else at risk. The vehicle would be the only reasonable option(still with risks) by backing in at the appropriate time so that the tail of the aircraft hits the van. Otherwise....you are on your own buddy.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”