Bend Your Toes Back

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Bend Your Toes Back

Post by pelmet »

It is something that you may want to do instinctively if operating aircraft with toe brakes. Otherwise you might be dragging brakes while taxiing, dragging brakes during takeoff, or applying brake upon touchdown.....none of which is desirable under normal circumstances.

"C-FNJD, a Cessna 152 aircraft operated by Canadian Flight Center, was conducting flight training circuits at Kamloops, BC (CYKA) with 1 pilot on board. During a touch-and-go, the aircraft veered to the left and exited the runway into the grass. After the excursion, the pilot taxied back onto the runway, followed Taxiway B off the runway, and immediately went to the parking area without assistance and under its own power. There was no damage to the aircraft or to the aerodrome. There were no injuries or fire. The pilot reported that it was possible the feet were on the brakes during the landing, which caused control issues upon contact with the runway surface."
---------- ADS -----------

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Bend Your Toes Back

Post by JasonE »

I learned to fly on an aircraft without toe brakes, then graduated to heel brakes :) When I fly with toe brakes it is part of my downwind check "Feet are off the brakes".
---------- ADS -----------

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”